Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers battle cry for 2011: "Old and Slow"

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers battle cry for 2011: "Old and Slow"

One for the Thumb! Sixburgh! All great things that we as fans and the team have rallied around in the past. Now this year it's the thought from some that they just don't have it anymore, that they are "old and slow". There is no doubt they are older than most in the NFL on the defensive side. Also no doubt that some have lost a step to father time. However, are they incapable of being competitive completely?

There's an article from the AP that talks about the Steelers not getting overly worked up or concerned about the rocky start they have. Being 2-1 is not a bad place to be in, even if they haven't gotten there in the prettiest manner.

As Heath Miller says in this article,
    `I think we're a team that's trying to figure out ourselves,'' tight end Heath Miller said. ``Hopefully, we can do it sooner rather than later.''
    Sure there are things to be concerned about: The run defense, the running game, the secondary, the offensive line. Things we are concerned about every year. Perhaps not so much with the running game but given time it can still come around. Perhaps the lack of a normal offseason and training camp has taken more of a toll on this team than we thought? Maybe it's going to take them a month to get their sea legs back completely?

Tomlin is not without blame either though, he's still a work in progress:

Even the coach is off his game.

Mike Tomlin lost track of how many timeouts the Steelers had in the final minute of Sunday's 23-20 win over Indianapolis. He called a timeout with 8 seconds and the team in field goal range figuring if there was a botched snap all holder Dan Sepulveda had to do is fall on it and the team would get another shot.

One problem. The Steelers didn't have any more timeouts in case disaster struck. The issue was moot when Shaun Suisham drilled the game-winner. The surprising mental gaffe, however, was not lost on Tomlin.
    Or perhaps maybe they remain competitive this year but never make it over the hump to the playoffs. There is still so much football left to play and so many things that can happen. We're all frustrated by the week 1 loss, and the near loss in week 3. However, let's see how things shake out in the next month and just maybe we'll find ourselves in a familiar position after all.

Full Article here

Tomlin sure as hell won't be in the running for coach of the year!!

There's no reason for a lot of his actions!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    no mood
    This being the lockout season its hard to say what is going on. We probably won't have a good stance on this team til 7-8 games in. We are not the only ones however; watching a lot of the games so far more then a few teams defense forgot to check in yet this season. Should be an interesting season, I sill expect a few on defense to retire after this season regardless how it turns out.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's no surprise that defenses are struggling early on. The lockout hurts them the most, more than offenses.

There's no real "shutdown" defense right now, but like you said perhaps at the midway point you'll start to see things even out between offense and defense. The Steelers of course being in that same boat.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Tomlin sure as hell won't be in the running for coach of the year!!

There's no reason for a lot of his actions!
    Im just wondering when we are going to be unleashing hell

P.S. I do love Tomlin though

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Im just wondering when we are going to be unleashing hell

P.S. I do love Tomlin though

Soon my young child, soon!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    It ain't over now was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor hell no . toga toga toga !

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Soon my young child, soon!
    Im just hoping it's not the same hell that was unleashed that cold December!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm really hoping the players and coaches take this to heart, do whatever they have to do to get themselves fired up and ready to play. Sometimes it takes a beating like they took in week 1 to get them into gear, or a close win like they had in Indy to get the fires going if you know what I mean.

This team is a very tough, prideful, group of guys. They stick together and they love the "us against the world" mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    Im just hoping it's not the same hell that was unleashed that cold December!
    Ewwwwwww lol

Things will get better I believe..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information