Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AFC North more aggressive with passing attack

Bookmark and Share

AFC North more aggressive with passing attack

Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco wants a continued commitment to a pass-first philosophy, saying Super Bowl offenses are ones built around throwing the ball.

In Sunday's 37-7 win at St. Louis, Flacco threw a career-high 48 passes and handed it off just 16 times to running backs. Still, his 109 passing attempts are only the 14th-most in the NFL, which is about the same ranking as last season.

Head coach John Harbaugh said Flacco approached him last week about being more aggressive in the passing attack. He then threw for 389 yards and three touchdowns against the Rams.

"I always think to myself, 'Look at the top teams in this league, what are they?' They're passing teams. Can they run the ball? Yeah, but they really throw the ball very well and run the ball off that," Flacco told reporters after the game, via The Baltimore Sun. "They're not just the top offenses, they're the top teams. Is the goal getting to the playoffs for us? No … we know we can do that. The goal is to win the Super Bowl. In order to do that, you have to [throw the ball well]. When you have a defense like ours … you shouldn't be grinding out games 14-7 every week. We need to come out here and be aggressive and put it on teams."

Updated your thread title coldrolled, I couldn't stand seeing Flacco as a thread title in the Steelers section, LOL. - BRC
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Yawwwn ...if he could only pass

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Yawwwn ...if he could only pass
    Wont be yawning after they beat us again this year. We have alot of work cut out for us if we just got by Collins and Painter. It is baltimores division to lose this year in my opinion.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I hate Flacco, I hate the Ravens therefore I hate Flacco.

However, he is right. The teams that are successful are the ones that go aggressively forward in the passing game. There's nothing wrong with using the pass to open up the run.

The problem with Pittsburgh is, they try and run, and can't so then they try and pass and by then the pass rush is coming like crazy. I've said a billion times if I've said it once, use the short passing game and that opens up everything else. You can run off that, it slows down the pass rush, it opens up the downfield stuff. The Steelers have the weapons, use them correctly.

When you're offensive line is crap, you have to use what you have to your advantage. Quick drops, get rid of the ball, keep your QB alive, and move the ball.

The problem with Pittsburgh is, they try and run, and can't so then they try and pass and by then the pass rush is coming like crazy. I've said a billion times if I've said it once, use the short passing game and that opens up everything else. You can run off that, it slows down the pass rush, it opens up the downfield stuff. The Steelers have the weapons, use them correctly.

I stated this also, I mean we have the speed guys to do it and then we would have the vets like Hines,Cotchery to find the holes in the defense to sit and wait. I think Mewelde needs to get into the game more to open up the ahort passing attack out of the backfield also. This would also help slow up the pass rush. But we will never see it until we have a new OC

Playing the Rams will do that to a POS cocky horse mouthed QB!

Draft Pick
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post

I stated this also, I mean we have the speed guys to do it and then we would have the vets like Hines,Cotchery to find the holes in the defense to sit and wait. I think Mewelde needs to get into the game more to open up the ahort passing attack out of the backfield also. This would also help slow up the pass rush. But we will never see it until we have a new OC
    Just let BA stick to the game plan......

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Playing the Rams will do that to a POS cocky horse mouthed QB!
    They have a really tight window as we do also to win a sb, but the difference is. We already have two in the span of 5 years. Th prob only have a 2 year window with that defense. Joe will NOT carry that team without a defense. Guranteed.

Flacco isn't clutch, and this isn't something you can teach a QB...

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Flacco isn't clutch, and this isn't something you can teach a QB...
    I will say he isnt clutch. But this I will say. I am WORRIED about the steelers facing him now instead of years past. He is improved greatly this year especially with the younger faster receivers he has around him. I am worried about the next Ravens game and Joe Flacco. He has come into his own I think, and its not a fluke.

Thread Information