Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: It's Time for a Defensive Reality Check

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter

It's Time for a Defensive Reality Check

Some of you don't recall the dark days following our run of 4 SBs in the '70's when age started to catch up with us, especially on the defensive side of the ball. The L.C. Greenwood Sports Illustrated cover with the phrase "Have the Steelers Had it?" still hangs in my Fortress of Steelertude.

Warren Sapp pissed off a lot of people by saying we're old on defense. Well, considering we are the 'oldest' on average D in the League, he isn't wrong. We have been gashed in 2 of 3 weeks by the run and it's clear that starts on the D-line. Smith and Hampton are getting pushed back and it's impacting our LB's ability to stop the run at the LoS. Troy was great last night, but we must understand why he was so visible.

With a raw QB in there, LeBeau could afford to bring TP up in run support knowing Painter couldn't do much against us with the pass (until the game-tying drive of course). Don't expect to see that every week against better QBs if we are getting pounded by the run. Thankfully TP and Silverback made the plays they are paid for making, but we can't count on that if we are playing better opponents.

This is more than just a phase folks. We have to admit that when you combine age with the wear and tear of the regular season and extended playoff runs, it's catching up with us. Not to mention Tomlin's favor of older players and you have the perfect formula for exactly what is happening. This team still has the capability of making a deep playoff run if we can get the OL stabilized at all, but that's a completely separate thread.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    It looks like a sieve out there. Great post.

And their fans.

Woodley and harrison need to get to the QB, we pay them how much?? Freeney and Mathis look more like a set of 20 million dollar OLB's than are two... other than that, this thread is stupid, our problems are from lack of a functioning offense.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Woodley and harrison need to get to the QB, we pay them how much?? Freeney and Mathis look more like a set of 20 million dollar OLB's than are two... other than that, this thread is stupid, our problems are from lack of a functioning offense.
    I guess we have a different definition of 'stupid' because while no one could argue about our OL problems I don't see how anyone could argue our DL is becoming just as ineffective.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

Smith and Hampton are nearing the bottom of the slide.

I was hoping Smith could get back to near his best, but alas it look like his days are numbered.

Neither of these two should be with us next year.

Hood shows flashes, but his strong point is not run defending.

Heyward and McClendon need to be slotted in and out this year in anticipation of taking on full-time rolls next season.

I'm also surprised we haven't seen more of HokiePokie, as clearly, . . . bar one play yesterday wher he knifed through and got held, . . . BigSnack is just a big, slow, fat body disrupting nothing.

Except for a few plays by select players, we looked bad on both sides of the ball last night. I don't know if age or injuries are the problem all I know is this is going to be a very long season if this continues.
    Mr. Comissioner, feel free to resoak those kerosene rags around your ankles for the 2011-2012 season. After the lockout the ants are angry as hell and more inclined to eat your candy ***! Thanks! --75Steeler

My Mood
    no mood
    I believe most of the problems are at our D-line. Harrison loves to rush the backside and for that to be successful you need a push up front so the QB has to take a step back. The D-Line has been getting abused all season as well. They have no push at all. I see Smith continually being push back, and this should probably be his last year. If nothing else he needs to be rotated out and get some these younger guys in there.

Everyone like to talk about lack of speed, but the biggest the I have noticed is lack of strength. I don't know if we blame it on old age, or these guys not doing anything during the lockout. It could be a combination of both but I would suspect the end is near for a few on the defense.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

no coverage sacks... look at the browns..... good cb's help.. maybe not having to hang back 10-15 yards off the receivers would help woodley and joe...

Browns this year.. eleven sacks by the Browns this season. That's the second-most in the NFL, which is a big improvement for a defense that had the eighth-fewest in the league last season. a quicker NT in Taylor? maybe 90 should play a bit and let 98 rest some....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    You have to face facts people, the defensive line is old, there is no question. Hampton is getting cut about 50% of the time, and Smith just isn't getting the push he used too. Keisel was out and Hood while getting better and better, still isn't quite there yet.

When the 34 can't stop the run, the blame first falls on the defensive line. They are ones responsible as the first line of defense to force the ball carrier into the lanes where the linebackers and safeties can make the play. When they get blown off the ball the RB has free reign to go wherever he wants.

There will be times this year when they play great, like last weekend. However there will be times as well where they don't play so great, like weeks 1 and 3. Does this mean they can't get the job done at all? Of course not, however it does mean that things are going to change for this defense next year, they just have too. The Steelers are known for letting guys go at just the right time towards the end of their career. Perhaps they waited a year too long on some of these guys, but with the shortened offseason, they could only do so much.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I get what everyone is saying here. Our defense didn't seem nearly as dominant, and didn't made nearly as many big plays as we've seen them make. But, I think they were made to look at lot worse in this game by our offense. They only really allowed 13 points, 3 of which I blame on the offense for turning a ball over in their own territory. If the defense can hold the opponents to 10 points a game, I'd say that's pretty good. If the offense had scored more points, I don't think discussion would be had about the defense looking old.

Thread Information