WEEK 3 PICKS
CONGRATS TO THE 2010 DONíS PREDICTION LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
*** Mlmpetert from thewarpath.net ***
*** Sparty from detroitlionsforum.com ***
Weíve been very lucky the past two weeks we have had some great football. We had some fake injuries, players playing with broken ribs and puncture lungs, QBís passing for crazy amount of yards. M.Vick getting knocked out by his player, Buffalo winning on the buzzer just an awesome week. I tried to wait the most this week because of both the M.Vick and Romo injuries to see if they would be able to play this week and how well they could. So I apologize for the delay
- Iím going to start with the story that hurts me the most. I was one of the biggest Cam Newton Bashers coming out of college calling him another V.Young and J.Russell. Great for College, GMís and Owners fall in love with the raw talent but wonít translate to the NFL. Maybe the fact that the rookie wage scale was activated this year and he didnít receive the crazy amount of money helped but the fact is that in two weeks he has impressed me. Yes he has made mistakes but the kid looks the part. Doesnít look rattle has made some crazy throws and has the arm so itís early but it looks like I might need to eat my own words.
- In related story the media needs to stop with this love/hate relationship with Romo it makes me sick how quickly one week everyone jumps in his bandwagon and go running the next. Donít get me wrong what he did wit that pain and come back and lead the team to victory was amazing. But he has done it in different ways many times before and he has come back the next week and look like a complete rookie after. Thatís what you get with Romo, Heís a very good QB not an Elite QB but everyone wants him to be in that Spot it comes with playing in Dallas but still, heís a very good QB he might even take his team to a Super Bowl one day. But letís get 1 thing straight; heís not Brady, P. Manning, Brees or Rodgers. He will give you great numbers great games he will fight but you will never have flawless performances from him every week.
- I have to applaud the NY Giants coaching staff that was some great old school coaching with the faking of the injuries. We all know it thereís no hiding it and if youíre the Rams and their fans you will be upset with it. But that was great coaching there it brought back memories of the Buffalo No-huddle offense and how Marv Levy used to scream to the referees when it happen. Hey it might not fall into fair play but itís in a gray area and I donít mind coaches being smart and using everything to win.
- I went 9-7 against the spread for the second week in a row, and 14-2 straight up. I was out of town last week so I didnít place a bet so nothing to report there. Over all for the season Iím at 59% moved up but want to be over the 60% right now and still tied for 14th place in the league.
- The Goat of the Week Oakland Raiders Secondary it was a great game and an awesome comeback by Buffalo, but with the game on the line at the goal line with no time left you canít have a mental error en leave a guy wide open in the end zone, you just canít .
On to the games
Jacksonville at Carolina -3.5 Ovr/Und 43
Its Blaine Gabbert debut, even with the short offseason the rookie QBís have looked good or at least decent. But heís facing another rookie QB that has shown he can move the ball and doesnít get rattle even against the Super Bowl Champs. So take the Panthers to win this week but donít expect them to cover the over I donít feel they will get a lot of help from the Jaguars.
Houston at New Orleans -4 Ovr/Und 43
Houston has looked really good and as I predicted it the biggest addition for them was wade Phillips. New Orleans came back huge last week but will be without their defensive leader. Houston known for his offense is their defense that has done the talking, #1 defense and #1 scoring defense. It faces its biggest competition or real test this week. I like Houston but I have to go with the more seasoned team playing at home in one of the toughest venues.
New England at Buffalo 8.5 Ovr/Und 53
I expected Buffalo to look better this year but not this good. With all the yardage New England is putting Buffalo is the #1 scoring offense, but New England is the hot hand winning by double digits each week so I expect a reality check for buffalo this week. Still New England with the mastermind Head Coach is the #31 defense in the league so I expect a high scoring close match
Miami at Cleveland 2.5 Ovr/Und 41
For some reason Miami just canít win at home. Week 3 is always tricky because itís the time you see the biggest upsets. No team wants to start the season 0-3 because history tells us that you might as well start with your draft scouting because your season is over. Cleveland is a hard team to figure out right now theyíre playing good defense but they played Cincinnati and the shell of a Colts team. Expect a close slow scoring game on this one but I give the advantage to Miami just because theyíre in survival mode.
Denver at Tennessee -7 Ovr/Und 42
UPSET OF THE WEEK
Tennessee pulled the biggest upset last week, their defense is playing good and theyíre no longer relying on C.J to save the day heck I believe C.J is still on holdout because he hasnít been seen on the field. Denverís front seven has been hurt and theyíre 28th against the run so maybe we can see C.J show up this week. Tennessee is a little bang up also and could be without their biggest weapon right now in Britt. I expect last week win will be too much for Tennessee and I expect them to be overconfident for a new team like Baltimore was last week so take Denver in this week upset.
New York Giants at Philadelphia -6 Ovr/Und 44
The Black Cloud hasnít moved away from New York apparently losing two more key players last week Hixon for the season and Super Mario with a concussion. Love him or hate him M. Vick is a playmaker he will drive you crazy at times and be reckless with the ball but, last week against a really good team and even with 3 straight turnovers he still had his team on the lead before he was pulled out. I expect the Giants to go after him and test him early and often but the Giants are just too banged up to take this week.
Detroit at Minnesota -3.5 Ovr/Und 45
Detroit has come out guns blazing we all expected a great defense but the offense hasnít been too shabby either. M.Stafford has shown for the past years that if he just could stay healthy he could be an impact player and he has shown it in a big way this past two weeks. Donovanís career is definitely over this was his last stop is sad to see it end like this. The Vikings look old in both sides of the field and theyíre playing one of the best run defenses in the NFL so I canít see an Upset this week even at home.
San Francisco at Cincinnati -2.5 Ovr/Und 40.5
Both these teamís defenses have played good, hard & physical but last week both folded at the end. Cincinnati will be without 2 of his top two WR one because of season Injury and the other because of Career Stupidity. Itís still a probability that Simpson might still play this Sunday (only in Cincinnati) but, with all the legal troubles coming his way even if he shows up I donít expect him to be there. San Francisco needs Cabtree to play this week badly last week after Edwards went down their offense just couldnít move the ball, Smith needs a target to throw to. Take the 49ers on this one too many factors for the Bengals this week.
New York Jets at Oakland Raiders 3 Ovr/Und 41
The Jets had a huge loss last week losing not only the most important player in that Jets Oline but the guy that helps Sanchez the most. Oakland has looked good these past two weeks keeping games close. Without their top 2 WR this week playing against that Jets defense I believe it will be way too much for Campbell to handle.
Kansas City at San Diego -14.5 Ovr/Und 45
I said last week that I hated 3 score lines in the NFL and I expected this with Kansas City after how they been playing the past two weeks. The reality is that with the loss of J. Charles this team is getting worse by the week. Take the points take the over, KC is lost right now and San Diego needs this win badly.
Baltimore at St. Louis 4 Ovr/Und 41.5
So week one Baltimore light it up, in week two they completely dropped the ball so can we expect another big score this week. The Rams will probably be without their top 2 HB this week and playing against a hungry defense that looked awful last week. Take Baltimore and the points on this one I expect an aggressive high scoring game.
Green Bay at Chicago 3.5 Ovr/Und 46
UPSET OF THE WEEK
Iím going to go on a limb on this one. Green Bay has won both weeks but their defense hasnít looked great they have allowed a lot of points and lost Nick Collins for the season last week. This is a divisional game and a rematch of last yearís NFC Championship. I donít expect Chicago to repeat this season but they match up well against the Packers. This are usually close low scoring games and you know Cutler had to mark this week when the schedule came up he has something to prove.
Arizona at Seattle : 3.5 Ovr/Und 43
I wouldnít be surprised if this game turns out to be an upset. Seattle needs the win, they usually play good at home and the Cardinals have a history of not traveling well up north. But the Seahawks havenít shown me or anybody else anything to believe they can pull the upset. So take Arizona for the win but I believe this game will be close.
Atlanta at Tampa Bay : -1.5 Ovr/Und 45.5
Atlanta hasnít looked good; they came from behind last week and took the win from Philadelphia. But they havenít looked like the team some people expect to contend for a Super Bowl but Tampa looked worse. This is a great rivalry hard hitting but the Bucs are having or will have the season that I expect them to have after last yearís mirage. They are a good team donít get me wrong but theyíre still too young.
Pittsburgh at Indianapolis : 10.5 Ovr/Und 39.5
The Steelers showed up last week last week like I expected them to do. Indianapolis looks like a team that already has drop the towel. Expect the Steelers to repeat the formula this week and come after Collins, take the points and the over on this one.
Washington at Dallas : -4.5 Ovr/Und 45
I waited to post this column so long because of this game; I just wanted to hear information about the injuries. It looks like Romo will play this week, which I donít believe is a great idea. If Dallas would be healthy I might sign a different tune. But the reality is that the Cowboys have too many players hurt out or banged up in key positions on both sides of the ball. You have Romo, Austin, Dez, Jones and Witten with injuries plus 3 of their Oline man are hurt also. This is a team with a desperate need of the bye week. You add that Washington is playing good football that Grossman has looked good and that defense is playing really well and will go after Romo. Take Was on this one.
The Hot Picks
Record 8-4 66% 3-0 in Upset picks
Donís Prediction League Leaders
- Sparty 65 -31 68% [detroitlionsforum.com]
- JohnJet 64 -32 67% [forums.newyorkjets.com]
- BrrsColts 63-33 66% [coltfreaks.com]
- Haynie 63 -33 66% [cowboyasboard.com]
14.- TheDon 57-39 59%