Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Silent snap count is expected for Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Silent snap count is expected for Steelers

One of the keys for the Steelers on Sunday night will be neutralizing the pass rush of speedy Colts defensive ends Dwight Freeney and Robert Mathis.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said the Steelers expect to use a silent snap count because of the crowd noise at Lucas Oil Stadium. That will put added pressure on left tackle Jonathan Scott and right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who is set to make his second career start.

"When you have to use silent count, they can get off the ball and they're basically like linebackers that are big and strong," Roethlisberger said of Freeney and Mathis. "I've got faith in our tackles and our tight ends, whoever is on them. Those ends are going to win some (battles), but we're going to win some, too."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Talk about pressure on both Scott and Gilbert! If these 2 don't fly off the ball the split second it's snapped, they're going to get beat like a rag doll. He is right though, there will be times when the line does win, I'm anxious to see how many of those times our Tackles were able to win alone vs. having TE help.

I give props to Ben for having confidence in his line, although I'm pretty sure we're all thinking he's upping his life insurance policy this week.

I really doubt they will do this

My Mood
    Impatient
    Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    I really doubt they will do this
    You have never been to a Colts home game. They wont have a choice.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post

They'll wait till the playclock goes to 3 to snap it, that will be there silent count , or maybe 2 seconds left. One or the other.

From what I've heard, Colts fans are bailing and selling their tickets. I expect a larger-than-normal presence of Steeler fans there, which could neutralize the crowd noise somewhat.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post

Have you been to a Colts game when they suck? I think someone already said it, all the Colts fans are saying that this game is gonna be more 50-50 cause all their fans are selling their tickets because they think it's going to be a blowout.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I was at the game in 2005 and it was a Monday Night game....The RCA Dome was crazy loud that night.....Plus there was close to 15,000 Steelers there for that game....With the Colts 0-2 start and Manning out until who knows when I'm expecting a Lucas Oil Field to be more quiet this time around.....I wouldn't be shocked if the crowd is indeed 50/50.....I know of four Steelers fans 4 sure going to the game.....lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    They'll come prepared to use it all game long and then if they can get the crowd out of it they can go back to a traditional count. I would suspect they'll have to use it atleast early in the game. Regardless of how bad the Colts are now, the crowd will get crazy until the game is out of hand.

Not the 1st time the Steelers have been in a "hostile" environment. As long as they don't beat themselves with turnovers and failed scoring drives, they will be fine.

Thread Information