Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 30

Thread: Predictable play calling in the redzone

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    BlitzburghRockCity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Central PA.
    Posts
    54,683
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

    Predictable play calling in the redzone

    Putting all the normal "Bruce Arians sucks" or "Arians can't call a game to save his life" responses on hold for a minute...let's focus on why this seems to happen.

    There aren't many people that can offer up legitimate gripes about Arians' play calling inside the 20's. He uses the passing and running game well. Last week he broke out the SB XL WR pass play for example. The Steelers are generally able to move the ball against virtually any defense. Sure he occasionally calls a bonehead play but overall when the Steelers want to move the ball, they can.

    In the redzone however, this team just goes into a mode that makes me scratch my head everytime. As soon as they hit that part of the field, they take their foot off the gas and go into a completely predictable set of play calls. They seem to be stuck in this mentality of "this is a game of attrition", "we have to run the ball to assert our dominance and break your will" mindset that just drives me nuts.

    Who cares how you score a Touchdown!!! Just get in the damn endzone! Don't just lineup and run 4 times, use your imagination for once. Thank goodness in that game last week he finally used Mike Wallace on the quick fade which was money. Where is Heath Miller in the back of the endzone, where is Hines in the back of the end zone, where is the Tackle Eligible pass, where is the designed boot leg? It takes this team being stopped inside the 5 and settling for a FG or no points at all before they realize, "oh maybe we should try something else"

    If you are going to run it, why aren't you using your short yardage specialist in Redman?

  2. #2
    2nd String DBR96A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    963
    Somebody on another message board suggested that the mere presence of David Johnson on the field is tipping off opposing defenses. Basically, nine times out of 10, when he's on the field, it's a running play, and the ball is always going to whichever side of the field he's on regardless of whether it's a run or a pass. Sure enough, when they failed to convert on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line, Johnson went left and so did Rashard Mendenhall for no gain.

    What really chaps my ***, though, is that Roethlisberger has proven that he can help the team score TDs in the red zone with his arm -- he did it in 2007 when he threw 32 TD passes -- but they get so run-heavy in goal-to-go situations even though it doesn't work consistently. If throwing the ball is the only way to get it into the end zone reliably, then so be it. Do it. Besides, Roethlisberger's only ever thrown one INT in his career in goal-to-go situations.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

  3. #3
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,901
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Somebody on another message board suggested that the mere presence of David Johnson on the field is tipping off opposing defenses. Basically, nine times out of 10, when he's on the field, it's a running play,.
    85 misses his blocks more than he gets them. usually at the end of the play he is standing there looking at his feet. shouldnt he be in the pile on top of at least one defender..??? Ward is a WR and old and blocks better than him.

    that may be part of the problem, he doesnt complete his task and block. plus the run tip off when he is in.

    heres a better tip on 1st and goal. legursky and redman in the backflied. heres a clue, were running. stop us.

  4. #4
    steelersbabex25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    12,055
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Last week he broke out the SB XL WR pass play for example.
    Can I just say for a second that that play was awesome. Perfect pass by Manny. He barely had any room to get that ball in there.

    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    What really chaps my ***, though, is that Roethlisberger has proven that he can help the team score TDs in the red zone with his arm -- he did it in 2007 when he threw 32 TD passes -- but they get so run-heavy in goal-to-go situations even though it doesn't work consistently. If throwing the ball is the only way to get it into the end zone reliably, then so be it. Do it. Besides, Roethlisberger's only ever thrown one INT in his career in goal-to-go situations.
    I get what you're saying, and I agree that if it's 1st and goal from the 5+ yard line, let Ben throw it once or twice. BUT if it's 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line, there is no excuse to throw that ball, especially when you have Redzone Redman standing on the sidelines. In that case, you go run run run, or run run run run depending on the situation. Everytime.

  5. #5
    Head Coach LatrobePA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    THIS IS MY HOUSE BITCHES
    Posts
    12,471
    1st and goal from the 3 yard line:

    1st down: run up the gut, stopped short. 2nd down: run up the gut for a loss of 2. 3rd and goal from the 5: bubble screen to ward, tackled at the 3, bring on the FG unit...

    BA is poooooooopy!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

  6. #6
    steelersbabex25's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    College Park, MD
    Posts
    12,055
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    1st and goal from the 3 yard line:

    1st down: run up the gut, stopped short. 2nd down: run up the gut for a loss of 2. 3rd and goal from the 5: bubble screen to ward, tackled at the 3, bring on the FG unit...

    BA is poooooooopy!
    This is another thing. Mendenhall does not thrive running up the middle like Redman does. He does much better when he bounces it to the outside. If you insist on keeping Mendy in on first and goal situations, don't make him run it up the gut 2 or 3 times. That has never worked and will never work, unless there's some type of hole. He is just not a running back that can push the pile very well. Let him do what he does best, maybe call a play that's actually designed to let him run to the outside.

  7. #7
    Veteran connecticutsteel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    southern connecticut
    Posts
    2,705
    My Mood
    Manic
    I agree that red should be used between the tackles and mendy is an outside edge back . H owever this notion that we should run inside the 5 is wrong we have to mix it up pass ,run ,option, play action sorry 3 or 4 runs results in failure too often

  8. #8
    Assistant Coach coldrolled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Myers Beach
    Posts
    5,901
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I agree that red should be used between the tackles and mendy is an outside edge back . H owever this notion that we should run inside the 5 is wrong we have to mix it up pass ,run ,option, play action sorry 3 or 4 runs results in failure too often
    play action is good. this is arians were talking about.

    how about ward, saunders, and legursky blocking.. redman with the ball. all run outside left or right. just not up the middle at least try it one time.

  9. #9
    2nd String DBR96A's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    963
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    I get what you're saying, and I agree that if it's 1st and goal from the 5+ yard line, let Ben throw it once or twice. BUT if it's 1st and goal at the 1 or 2 yard line, there is no excuse to throw that ball, especially when you have Redzone Redman standing on the sidelines. In that case, you go run run run, or run run run run depending on the situation. Everytime.
    Or, they could do a play-action pass.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/DBR96/Sports%20gallery/Pittsburgh%20sports/Pittsburgh%20Steelers%20-%206X%20Super%20Bowl%20champions/PGH256A.jpg
    Six Lombardi Trophies: Not coming soon to a city near you.

  10. #10
    Starter Goodfrom55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Stroudsburg, PA
    Posts
    2,000
    I believe in PA Pass on 1st down, was disappointed they had Charlie hand off twice to Mendy for no gain. Steelers move the ball on everyone, but I think to a point, inside the Red zone or 10 yard line, Arians out thinks himself. 3 Wide formation under center opens up the passing game, but it also leaves options in the running game with Heath or Hines in motion. The same ol' double tight HB blast is too predictable and the Steelers don't have the horses up front to win that battle on a consistent basis.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Perhaps the fans should do the play calling????
    By TampaSteelGirl in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-08-2009, 12:43 PM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-28-2008, 12:38 PM
  4. Steelers Offense: Play calling is the trouble
    By NHStlrfan in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-18-2008, 12:39 AM
  5. Steelers don't see trick play as their treat
    By AZ_Steeler in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-05-2007, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •