Thread: Defensive gameplan vs Seattle sign of things to come?

Bookmark and Share

Defensive gameplan vs Seattle sign of things to come?

So, the Steelers D is getting older, there is no denying that. I don't personally buy into the idea that they are "too old" however. I initially thought the gameplan vs Seattle was simply testing out a different approach for good passing teams we will see in the future, but I wonder if it is a change in scheme to keep some of the older guys fresh throughout both games and the entire season itself.

I think they may be adjusting to find new ways for the the veterans to continue to be effective and have a significant impact on games. Just a thought and wondered what all of you guys might think about that.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-20-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Wasting time with the players on the bench IMO, they need to see more playing time not the "old" guys...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think Lebeau's idea in using the gameplan of sitting back rather than blitzing, had anything to do with Tarvius Jackson being a good passing QB. Honestly I think was just the opposite. They knew Jackson has struggled in his career so they wanted to put the pressure on him to be able to beat the coverage.

Plus I think it gave the secondary some help as well. Without bringing extra pressure and exposing them, they allowed themselves to keep more people in coverage to especially help in the short to intermediate routes.

Now will they deploy this strategy the rest of the year? We'll have to wait and see, especially against QB's that are top flight. Maybe this will help them fight the short passing game of the Patriots.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I don't think Lebeau's idea in using the gameplan of sitting back rather than blitzing, had anything to do with Tarvius Jackson being a good passing QB. Honestly I think was just the opposite. They knew Jackson has struggled in his career so they wanted to put the pressure on him to be able to beat the coverage.
    Plus I think it gave the secondary some help as well. Without bringing extra pressure and exposing them, they allowed themselves to keep more people in coverage to especially help in the short to intermediate routes.

Now will they deploy this strategy the rest of the year? We'll have to wait and see, especially against QB's that are top flight. Maybe this will help them fight the short passing game of the Patriots.
    I wasn't suggesting the gameplan had anything to do with Tavaris Jackson. I thought they used it vs Seattle because it was an opportunity to get game practice using that scheme for future opponents.

I do think they may be looking for a way to tweek what they do on defense to keep the veterans effective and I think they may be experimenting to see what, if any, limitations the older guys may now have.

Peter King discussed this on "The Herd" with Colin Cowherd and I found the idea to be interesting and relevant.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This was as good a week as any to try out some different schemes that they don't normally deploy that often. So I wouldn't doubt that Lebeau wanted to see how the defense would in a mode where they sit back vs coming after the passer.

Of course they use this type of defense in certain situations on any given week, but this was the first time where we saw them use it for almost the entire game.

Honestly they didn't do that bad at it, the numbers don't lie. Hell if it helps out the secondary, then why not use it more often?

My Mood
    Manic
    This mode will make our d line better pass rushers

I think we will be seeing some different schemes from week to week until they settle on something that works best to fit the talent and age of the players we have on the field. I do not buy into the idea that we are too old, but I do buy into changing how you play with age to remain an effective player.

It was strange to see us not going after the QB the way we all know to be the traditional Blitzburgh style, but if this way works better and gets results and that is what they decide to do, I'm all for it. Bottom line is, I don't care what they do as long as they are winning, I mean that is the goal afterall.

My Mood
    Clowns
    The Steelers really dont see too many more good QB's the rest of the way. Here is the list of them and where I rank them personally.

Kerry Collins Indy: Ok but is past his prime and not very good.
    Matt Schaub Houston: Good passing attack and good offense will be a huge test
    Matt Hasselbeck Tennessee: Is solid, gave the Ravens defense fits last week, could give the Steelers some problems but the game is at Heinz Field.
    Luke McCown or Blaine Gabbert Jags: Neither wont be able to do much against the Steelers D.
    Kevin Kolb Arizona: Good QB with weapons such as Fitzgerald and Heap will be a good test.
    Tom Brady Patriots: Enough said dont come no tougher then him
    Joe Flacco Baltimore: Which Flacco will we see the next time the Ravens visit the Steelers.
    Andy Dalton (Twice) Cincy: Has looked solid so far but is still a rookie.
    Matt Cassell Chiefs: Their offense and team in general is a complete mess right now.
    Colt McCoy (Twice) Browns: Good young QB has a lot of talent but the Steelers gave him fits last season and should be able to handle him.
    Alex Smith San Fran: Shouldnt be a big problem.
    Sam Bradford Rams: Good young QB could be the next great QB,but still young and the game is at Heinz Field.

Thread Information