Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeney & Mathis vs the Steelers line

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Freeney & Mathis vs the Steelers line

So far for 2011, Dwight Freeney has 2 Tackles, 1 Sack and 1 FF. Robert Mathis has 4 Tackles and 1 Sack.

Obviously these are still 2 of the better defensive lineman in the league, especially in the pass rushing dept. The Colts defense is obviously playing better than their offense but it's still not enough to have helped them to any wins this year.

They switch these 2 guys around on the line but typically they'll bookend either other and go after the offensive tackles. The Steelers had an epic test in week 1 and failed miserably against a good defensive line. In week 2 they played somewhat better, but in pass protection they still let entirely too much through. Now they face 2 top notch lineman who are sure to test their skills early and often.

Unless the Steelers go max protect all day long, Either Gilbert or Scott will be 1 on 1 with their man. I would say I probably have a big more confidence in Scott, just from an experience standpoint. Either way these 2 guys are going to have to step up big time.

It will be a good test, both RT and LT will have their hands full!

Ben will be running for his life all game. He's really got to utilize quick passes and we have to run the ball, which I think we'll be able to do. Good thing that the colts offense is pretty pathetic right now.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If there was ever a game to run the ball and use the short passing game to slow down that pass rush, this is it. If the line doesn't keep the pressure off Ben it doesn't matter how bad the COlts offense is, we won't be able to score either.

This is the type of team where I think you could eventually use some reverses or an end around. Aside from Freeney and Mathis (maybe Angerer), they are a weak defense. Start running the ball and using the intermediate passes to loosen up the defense then throw in a reverse with Brown if they start to over pursue.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    Look for a lot of shotgun with sidecars to each side of Ben. Certainly a lot of chipping with tight ends. Draws, screens should also be in the game plan in order to slow them down.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Fight
    Run it down their throats
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

My Mood
    Impatient
    We also need to get the crowd out of it. If the OT's cant go with a snap count, then they have to look for the ball just like the defense. Silent counts or shot gun formations where the OL has to watch the ball too is when Freeney and Mathias are the most dangerous because they are so quick off the ball.

Run the ball, but USE A FB, and throw high % quick passes, and every now and then, stretch the secondary with a play action pass. Definitely don't want to line up 5 wide against them too much because the Colts defense is built for this type of attack.

Pound the crap out of them, roll the pocket and execute. . .won't be an easy win, but should be a win none the less. Steelers 27-13.

My Mood
    Manic
    TWO WORDS no huddle all day long ok that was 5 but i think if we use the no huddle and some draws and screens misdirection we will be ok . plus Mathis is a little dinged up

Thread Information