Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Raheem Brock to be fined for hit on Roethlisberger

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Brock should be fined, simply because whether you are blocked into a player or not you are responsible for your actions on the field. The rules say you can't go after a Quarterbacks knees or his head. So in that case he should be fined. However, does it really help or solve anything, no.

I this would have been T. Brady or P.Manning the defender would have been kick out of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    According to the rules he should be fined. Its one of those plays thought that when it happens to us we want their heads. When it happens against us it was clean. My problem with it is this: The fine does nothing for us, if it were a close game the 15 yard penalty could be huge. The refs need to call it on the field, or forget it.
    I agree with what you are saying but they did throw a flag on that play.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Brock should be fined, simply because whether you are blocked into a player or not you are responsible for your actions on the field. The rules say you can't go after a Quarterbacks knees or his head. So in that case he should be fined. However, does it really help or solve anything, no.
    I still think it is just another area of pussification in the NFL.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post
    I agree with what you are saying but they did throw a flag on that play.
    Ohh yeah. They did. It turned out to be like a 2 yard penalty.

2nd String
    I have always maintained their is zero accountability for the refs. There have been more than a few fines that were not called as penalties. The refs can blow calls all day long without consequence. Confounding the issue is the seemingly random application of fines. Players must be losing their minds. During every game they must be wondering if they have a fine coming their way or not.

And since when should penalties be fined anyway? We might laugh, in the future penalties such as off-sides, illegal formations, etc. will warrant fines. Just wait, the situation is not going to get any better.

Another thought, fines should not be used to install a false sense of control over the players by the league (Goodell) and/or as a source of revenue. Fines should only be used as punishment for obvious heinous and vicious offenses, or habitual offenders.

Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    I still say NO PENALTY NO FINE! How does a fine help the team that got cheated??? If the refs call a penalty for a cheap shot, look at fining him. It the refs miss it it does no good for the player to get fined.
    Last edited by Speeed; 09-20-2011 at 12:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Ohh yeah. They did. It turned out to be like a 2 yard penalty.
    Right, but I don't understand what you mean, I guess. They threw a flag and adjusted the yardage appropriately due to our position on the field. They cannot decide to ignore how the penalty yardage is implemented. I was happy to see a flag thrown, seems like far too often those things are missed/unnoticed when they happen to Ben. I don't think it is anything more than a coincidence but I'm glad to see him protected as per the rulebook.

My Mood
    Manic
    I don't think this is wussification is a saftey issue for sure that could have ended ben's career

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I don't think this is wussification is a saftey issue for sure that could have ended ben's career
    Career? No. Season? Maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    Ya, I mean it boils down to the amount of money franchises have wrapped up in these guys especially the QBs and if they go down it can literally ruin a team's season. My problem is the double standard. Like the guys on the broadcast were talking about during the Seahawks game, they can still go low on D lineman. Fix that, I think. You probably shouldn't be able to go low like that on any of these guys, but then again where does it stop? Can you not tackle an RB in the open field by going at his legs?? The whole thing is ridiculous w/o any real clear answers or explanations. We've seen those types of hits end people's career in the past though and with the $$ being paid, teams will be fine with protecting them regardless of what aspects of the game are sacrificed.

Thread Information