Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerry Collins vs the Steelers secondary

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    This game worries me though because their backs are against the wall.
    So are ours, in a way.

My Mood
    Addicted
    we could lose this game if we play like we played the last two weeks on offense and defense, Collins have played well against us through out his career, the only thing working for us is that he is not comfortable in this offense, this game will show me if the steelers are serious about this season...

My Mood
    Manic
    I have seen tape of Collins this year he is a shell of his former self our secondary is improving as long as mc fadden stays on the bench My only concern is i think that ben is hurt and not telling anyone he took a beating in wk 1 with all those fat *** ravens piling on him . I say this cause his throws were sailling high this happens when you don't follow through or can't we will see . The bottom line is we should win easily in spitye of collins

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There will be no Ben Roethlisberger-Peyton Manning IV Sunday, a juicy matchup that no doubt prompted the NFL to schedule the game in a prime-time slot. Those watching the Steelers play at the Indianapolis Colts must settle for Kerry Collins-Roethlisberger, no Roman numerals needed.

Collins was enticed out of a short retirement by the Colts because of Manning's precarious neck problems that have kept him sidelined and apparently will for quite some time. Whatever Collins provided the New York Giants, Carolina Panthers, Tennessee Titans (although not Oakland) and Penn State University prior to that, he has not been able to replicate in his first two games with the Colts.

But he did not sign with them until Aug. 24, less than a month ago, and Mike Tomlin not only remembers some of the things he accomplished against the Steelers as recently as one year ago but thinks it will not be long before he might start doing them again.

Collins turned a yawner under ineffective starter Vince Young into a thriller that ended in the Steelers' favor, 19-11, in the second game last season at Heinz Field. There also was that game near the end of 2008 when he picked them apart in Tennessee, for a 31-14 Titans victory.

"Obviously, when you have a change at quarterback, I am sure you lose a little bit" of continuity, Tomlin said. "But I am sure that is one of the reasons they were interested in Kerry Collins because he is a veteran football player, I am sure a quick study and I am sure that he will adjust and learn the nuances of some of the things that they have evolved to very quickly.

"That is why I am more concerned about him and them and what they are capable of than I am in terms of what I have seen on tape. Because I imagine under those circumstances he's capable of improving quickly, as are they."
    Collins, who grew up in Lebanon, Pa., will turn 39 Dec. 30. He retired July 7 but was coaxed out of it by the Colts. In two games with Indianapolis, he has two touchdown passes, one interception, five sacks and a 71.4 passer rating. He has completed 50.7 percent of his passes.

Manning has had nothing less than a 91.9 passer rating in any of the past eight seasons and nothing under a 65 completion percentage.
    "I am not going to try to minimize the importance of Peyton Manning for the Indianapolis Colts," Tomlin said. "I'd imagine that it is a major adjustment that they are going through. But I also think they've got great continuity and great quality players at other positions, and he is a part of the bigger picture in terms of what they have done there for a number of years."

My Mood
    patriots-hater
    We really need to ramp up our pressure this week on the QB. Each game gets a little bit more challenging as we head to our bye week.

Next week will be a huge test so we have got to be more aggressive and play more as a team or Houston will eat us for lunch. Tennessee and Jacksonville will only be a test of wills as NE and Baltimore could give us fits.

One of the biggest problems we are having is not having the same 11 guys out there in a rotation every week. This lack of continuity is showing. The Oline is struggling for the same reason.

My Mood
    Impatient
    I agree with Tomlin, the Colts are built around Manning and his timing. Its going to "click" for Collins at some point and when it does, the Colts are a pretty good team with great WR's. I just hope it doesnt click this week.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He's literally been with the team about a month now, so you'd expect it to start "clicking" anytime now but I'm with you guys, hopefully not this week. Honestly, the Colts offense doesn't worry me all that much right now even if Collins does play better. I think the pass rush will get to him and they'll be able to keep things under control.
    I'm sure there's no panic in the Colts locker room right now, but it is unfamiliar territory to say the least. I mean when you lose 2 in a row, and one of them to a Browns team that's in a rebuilding mode, you have some issues to work through.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    That's why I bring this up. The Colts are playing for their lives right now. If they go down 0-3 for the year they can kiss the playoffs goodbye. So I expect them to give the Steelers everything they have and then some. They'll have the hometown crowd in their corner as well.

From a Kerry Collins perspective though, if our defense doesn't generate a pass rush against him, he's got enough weapons to shred the Steelers secondary.
    As long as the Steelers get out first, and put up a couple scores, it should quiet the crowd fairkly quickly. But if the Steelers let the Coolts hang around long enough, that could be trouble.

Ike will draw Wayne so that should be a wash, now the rest of the secondary has to cover Dallas Clark and the other WR's for Indy.

This game will be won or lost on the Steelers success in controlling the offfensive and defensive LOS.

We just gotta come out and put some points on the board in the first half and let the d do thier job. I think ben is due for a 5 td game. A good balanced attack in the first half and air it out in the second and Get the Defense to Get some good pass rush. Im not worried at all. We are gonna kill indy.

My Mood
    Devilish
    Quote Originally Posted by peoriasteeler4life View Post
    We just gotta come out and put some points on the board in the first half and let the d do thier job. I think ben is due for a 5 td game. A good balanced attack in the first half and air it out in the second and Get the Defense to Get some good pass rush. Im not worried at all. We are gonna kill indy.
    while i really, and i mean -REALLY-, dig your avatar i think its a mistake to underestimate the colts even in as bad a shape as they are in. over the years ive come to fear the "easy" games more than any other. after seeing the browns bring the hammer down on us a few times, once with.. who was it? derek anderson in one of, if not the, first games of his career, and assorted other instances, there is simply no room for looking past an opponent.

that being said, i think one of the worst things we could do is "air it out" in the second half. the only reason we should "air it out" is if we're playing catch up. if we manage to get a good lead in the first half, the second half should be ramming mendy and isaac down their throats like a $2 whore in tijuana on liberty weekend.

as for the defense, i would like to see us be able to generate a good pass rush with 4, MAYBE 5 guys. if we can do that, our secondary should be able to hold up even if kerry does get into some kind of groove. i love blitzing more than most but not at the expense of abandoning the secondary. less blind bullrushing and more finesse, schemed manuevering.

Thread Information