Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: With McFadden slowed by injury, why not let Keenan Lewis start?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

With McFadden slowed by injury, why not let Keenan Lewis start?

In this article from the Trib, it talks about how BMac's nagging hamstring has limited him this week and how he could be scratched in favor of either Lewis or Gay.
    It's been a frustrating season for Steelers cornerback Bryant McFadden, who limped through the preseason before working his way into the lineup for last Sunday's season-opener at Baltimore.

Still, McFadden isn't at full strength. He practiced only sparingly Friday in preparation for Sunday's home-opener against Seattle at Heinz Field.

McFadden is listed as questionable with a hamstring injury and saw limited duty yesterday. There's a chance the seven-year veteran could be scratched from the lineup in favor of backups Keenan Lewis or William Gay.

"I was just practicing, so I don't know whether I was on the first or second team," said Lewis, in his third season. "I'll be ready because I've been preparing all week."

From the Trib

So at this point I say, why not let Keenan Lewis get the shot to start at Cornerback opposite Ike Taylor? Or at the very least why not let him split time with Will Gay? Perhaps the 2 can alternate between CB and NB. Honestly, it just makes sense and the Steelers coaches need to see that.

They are both healthy, as opposed to BMac who is not and may not be all year with that hamstring. Remember he had problems with it last season as well. It would appear that they certainly could do no worse than what McFadden did last week, or last season for that matter. Plus both Gay and Lewis both got a lot of work in preseason and camp.

Specifically for Lewis, like many of us have been saying on here, give these young guys a shot. You might be surprised. Atleast you'll know either way if he can handle it.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-17-2011 at 12:51 AM.

Shouldn't of brought Mac back! IMO he's a dud!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Manic
    I say let Keenan play put gay at NB and let C Brown get some reps at nickle

Veteran
    My Mood
    Blah
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    So at this point I say, why not let Keenan Lewis get the shot to start at Cornerback opposite Ike Taylor? Or at the very least why not let him split time with Will Gay? Perhaps the 2 can alternate between CB and NB. Honestly, it just makes sense and the Steelers coaches need to see that.
    Keenan Lewis is a young guy, and thus must avoid the field at all costs, at least in the philosophy of Tomlin.

My Mood
    Mellow
    if mcfadden was 100% he still isn't better than lewis...he just has more game experience.

the fact that mcfadden isn't 100% should be a no-brainer....SHOULD being the most important word in that statement.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Curtis Brown was limited this week today with injury. I don't think I'd be ready to put him in just yet considering how little training camp practice he got and he missed 2 preseason games. I would definitely say though at this point, Lewis has been here long enough and showed enough that he deserves a shot at more playing time.

If for no other reason than if you keep BMac starting and playing the whole game right now, that hamstring is going to be a problem all season. The only treatment for those types of injuries is rest and rehab. Give him a week or 2 off, see how he responds. Meanwhile you get a real good look at Lewis too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    Keenan Lewis is a young guy, and thus must avoid the field at all costs, at least in the philosophy of Tomlin.
    at this rate of our young prospects developing. how about trade all our picks 2-7 for another first. then just have two firsts.

we dont need the other picks anyway.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    McFadden is average when healthy, let Keenan play. Gay is a good NB but sucks at starting cb

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Lewis can't be any worse. Mcfadden has been awful since he returned to us from Arizona. He's worse than Willie Gay.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

Get Cortez reps!

Thread Information