Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loss of Willie Colon might not be devastating

Bookmark and Share

Loss of Willie Colon might not be devastating

Obviously, a player lost for the year is never good news. Considering it is a member of the much maligned offensive line doesn't help either.

However, I don't see how this o-line (by Pittsburgh standards) could get any worse.

Silver Lining: Marcus Gilbert is a very capable 2nd round draft pick, add that to the fact that he's young and was teammates with Pouncey at Florida. That youth and, most importantly, chemistry of those two might be a boost.

I'm all for any opportunity for us to get younger and gel better as a team.

I'd rather a young guy struggle than a vet!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

With Colon, what you see is what you get. With Gilbert, there is a lot of upside. Maybe he doesn't pan out, but maybe he does. You never know if you never play him. I'm crossing my fingers that he comes in and performs well. This team could really use a player who could step up on that line.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    One of the writers on the Trib said the same thing the other day. As bad as the Steelers offensive lines have been over the years, they have managed to overcome it.

At this point, COlon was/is a solid Tackle, no question. However he's done now for the year, now is Gilbert's time to shine. My main concern will be keeping Ben alive until the light bulbs start coming on for Marcus and he is able to handle himself against all that is thrown at him.

Here's my question about Colon: Is he an asset at this point? Back-to-back years on the IR, mediocre quality of play (I'm sorry, I've never seen him as a top tackle) and a decent sized contract make me wonder how valuable he is at this point.

If Gilbert plays well this season, how would that shape the o-line next year? Would Colon automatically get the job back? Would Gilbert keep the job? Gilbert to LT, Colon at RT and Scott on the bench? Hell, maybe put Colon in at RG? At this point, I am struggling to see the value in Willie Colon. I wish him the best and wish he was a kick *** tackle, but he just doesn't have a wow factor to me.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Steelers have never been the type of team to automatically give a guy his job back once he comes off injury. He will have a chance to fight for it yes, but he's not automatically given it, if the person who filled in played well.

If Gilbert takes this job at RT and runs with it, improves, and shows he can handle it I would think he'll be the odds on favorite for 2012.

Colon was never a top Tackle, but he was better than average and did a decent job. However as you said back to back years on IR means that you have to rethink your plan next year for depth if nothing else.

Another factor is of course Legursky. Does he improve through 2011 and become the Guard of the future, or do the Steelers need to look elsewhere in the draft then? There's so many unknowns right now we can only hope this years group can handle it.

Aaron Smith got his job back. He was pretty good last week.

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    Aaron Smith got his job back. He was pretty good last week.
    Which IMO was a smack in the face to Hood that played well late season..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Which IMO was a smack in the face to Hood that played well late season..
    Same thing with McFadden and Lewis: Lewis played the entire preseason and performed moderately well. McFadden automatically won the starting job (even though he is always hurt, apparently) and Lewis hasn't even been able to get in the nickel spot.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah that's true, Smith did get his job back. In think in his case though, he's got 1 more year left and they feel when healthy he's still as good as he once was. Plus from a depth perspective once you get past Hood and Heyward, there is no one else that would have beat him out. I was hoping they would rotate him out with Smith more this year than just the normal rotation, to get him some additional snaps because he's earned it. Either way Hood is the future there, no question.

Thread Information