Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers admit they were overconfident; looking for redemption on Sunday

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers admit they were overconfident; looking for redemption on Sunday

Nothing looms more inviting to the Steelers than the game Sunday at Heinz Field, where they not only play the Seattle Seahawks but also where they believe they can bury their performance in the first game of the season in Baltimore.

"I wouldn't kick any dirt on us," defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said. "We'll be back. We'll be back."

There was little of redeeming value from their 35-7 thumping in Baltimore on offense or defense, and players and coaches from both sides are eager for a second chance.
    "There'd be something wrong if we don't expect more from ourselves," tight end Heath Miller said. "We obviously didn't play our best."

Some of them thought they traveled to Baltimore either too cocky or not ready to match the kind of emotion the Ravens brought to one of football's fiercest rivalries.

"We came out thinking like we were AFC champs," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "and they were obviously [upset] since February, and we didn't match that. It was real obvious."

Said defensive end Aaron Smith, "I really think we didn't play with emotion -- it's an emotional game -- and Baltimore did."

The thoroughness of Baltimore's domination in the opener -- Troy Polamalu called it a well-deserved dose of humility -- has caused many to re-evaluate whether the Steelers are candidates to return to a third Super Bowl in four years. Former NFL defensive lineman Warren Sapp, on "Inside the NFL" on Showtime, called the Steelers defense "old, slow and it's over" this week.

"Warren is acting like he's the first person to say that to us," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We've been hearing that for a long time. I don't think we're old, I don't think we're slow, I don't think we're done. But that's up to us. We have to go out and prove that."

Said LeBeau: "It's like the guy who got up and said this could be the last day of my life. Sooner or later you're going to be right."

How? Why did this happen??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    LOL I know right, who would have thought?!

I tell when I read this it just irritates me to no end. There is no way on this earth the Steelers should ever feel overconfident about a divisional rival like the Ravens. Nearly every game comes down to the 4th quarter, and comes down to 1 or 2 big plays late that either wins or loses the game.

I get the fact that the Steelers have been successful against the Ravens when Ben plays, but it's hardly cause to walk into their house thinking you're just going to win no matter what.

Put that squarely on Tomlin, Arians, the rest of the coaches and the players, everyone.

I agree, coaches should humble their players..
    "Happy Happy Happy"

It would be one thing if the team came in and lost to a team like the Chiefs and said they were overconfident. The Chiefs are a decent team with some issues of their own, but if you come into that game expecting a W, you can easily be upset.

Overconfident about the Ravens? I'll say so! If they felt confident in beating the Ravens, they must have been drinking the Kool Aid on ESPN about how the defense was going to automatically be a top three unit and the offense was going to be The Greatest Show on Turf 2.0. Given the recent history of these matches, I have to say that is downright stupid to come into that game confident. If that was the case, I blame the coaches. They should know how to get the team focused for such a big game and they blew it.

Problem is solved... Arians has it...

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday what a lot were thinking during the past week about why the Ravens handled the Steelers the way they did. "We came out like we were still AFC champs, and they were obviously (mad) since February, and we didn't match that," Arians said. "It was real obvious." Arians was taken aback over how badly his offense struggled, especially after a preseason in which it played so well. "I was shocked by our (offense) ... lack of it," Arians said.

Quote Originally Posted by coldrolled View Post
    Problem is solved... Arians has it...

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said Thursday what a lot were thinking during the past week about why the Ravens handled the Steelers the way they did. "We came out like we were still AFC champs, and they were obviously (mad) since February, and we didn't match that," Arians said. "It was real obvious." Arians was taken aback over how badly his offense struggled, especially after a preseason in which it played so well. "I was shocked by our (offense) ... lack of it," Arians said.
    He's such a smarty pants, thank goodness we have him!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    LOL I know right, who would have thought?!

I tell when I read this it just irritates me to no end. There is no way on this earth the Steelers should ever feel overconfident about a divisional rival like the Ravens. Nearly every game comes down to the 4th quarter, and comes down to 1 or 2 big plays late that either wins or loses the game.

I get the fact that the Steelers have been successful against the Ravens when Ben plays, but it's hardly cause to walk into their house thinking you're just going to win no matter what.

Put that squarely on Tomlin, Arians, the rest of the coaches and the players, everyone.
    I know and I agree with everything you said.

I also think, they were guilty of listening to all the fan talk and media a little more than is typical of this team due to the lockout leaving more time to become distracted and lose focus. Noramlly they'd have had OTAs and been in the facilities to keep them centered and on the task at hand. Not an excuse, it still shouldn't happen just something I can see as a factor cause they don't normally get caught up in that kind of stuff.

I thought the comments were well put. All things so many have expressed concern about on here. It is nice to hear them acknowledge these concerns and move on. I enjoy getting rational comments from our players and coaches, even if it isn't super informative.

Especially compared to the comments you get from so many other teams. Did anyone hear the ramblings of that random unheard of WR from j'ville today? He's been in the league like 5 years, yet no one even knew who he was.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-16-2011 at 12:21 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    These guys are human, and as much as we want them to be focused every second and be on their guard for overconfidence, sometimes it just doesn't happen.

It was a hard lesson to learn, and put them behind the 8 ball early this year but it's certainly not a hole they can't crawl out of. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the Cowher teams were guilty of this all the time. Feeling way too good about themselves because of past success, and losing games they had no business losing.

Better it happens now though than in December, right?!

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    These guys are human, and as much as we want them to be focused every second and be on their guard for overconfidence, sometimes it just doesn't happen.

It was a hard lesson to learn, and put them behind the 8 ball early this year but it's certainly not a hole they can't crawl out of. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that the Cowher teams were guilty of this all the time. Feeling way too good about themselves because of past success, and losing games they had no business losing.

Better it happens now though than in December, right?!
    You are right about that being common in Cowher's era. It's ridiculious and there's no excuse for it. And yes better in September than Dec. or Jan.

Now lets get started again this week and move on.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information