Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Jason Worilds have a future with the Steelers?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Does Jason Worilds have a future with the Steelers?

Last year when he was drafted and had such a good camp and preseason, most of us were thinking he was the heir apparent to James Harrison. In the little playing time he had in 2010 he showed flashes of potential. He was drafted in the 2nd round with the thinking that over time he'd be ready to step in.

Fast forward to 2011. In Latrobe, linebackers coach Keith Butler called him out saying that he needed to have a sense of urgency and dedication to his craft. In preseason he showed very little even playing against mostly backups. When he played against starters he wasn't getting a good pass rush, and had very little push into the backfield. He looked to be out of position most of the time and just generally seemed to be lost on the field. While I certainly can't speak for what happens behind closed doors in the Steelers facility or anything, it seems clear though that he's got some issues to work through. I don't think it's a talent problem, he's got natural good pass rushing skills. He may just be taking longer to develop.

While Sly Sylvester has been penciled in for MLB, he did get some work on the outside as well. Should something happen to Harrison or Woodley, you would think Worilds would step in but that may not necessarily be the case.

The thinking is as of now, that the coaches could pull a move similar to what they did with Chad Scott back in the 90's. Move Timmons outside and then let Foote take over inside should it become necessary to do so.

It's not like his career is completely tanked yet, but he certainly hasn't done himself any favors in 2011 so far.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-15-2011 at 12:14 AM.

I think he has a chance but we'll never know unless the coaches give him a chance..

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I think he has a chance but we'll never know unless the coaches give him a chance..
    I've never really understood why we work the young guys in so slowly (for the most part), but it seems as if we have less draft busts than other teams too, so I've never really questioned it. All that being said, I've never been too impressed with Worilds but like you said, he really hasn't had much of a chance. To be fair, some guys aren't very good practice players but are $$ in games.

I'm not making any predictions about this guy, cause I just don't know either way on this one.

It starts with the coaches cutting the chord on these pups and seeing what they can do before they hang around for 4 years and prove to be worthless (Tony Hills). Take NE and their TE's, Gronkowski and Hernendez. Both of these guys were starters as rookies and are now dangerour weapons in only their 2nd season in the NFL. Where I come from, you learn by doing, not by watching. I understand that the Steelers have depth in certain positions, but why not swap people in when possible? Let them experience some game speed. Going up against the same people in practice accomplished nothing because you become aware of your teammates tendencies.

For God's sake, look at Pouncey; he will be an All Pro center for the next 10 years. Look at Kendrell Bell as a rookie, he was a beast. Gotta give these guys a chance to get their taste right away. I still maintain that Ziggy should be starting over Smitty right now.

I'd like to see him get a shot. At this point, an unhealthy Harrison isn't cutting it. At least not for four quarters. Give Worilds a chance. If he can play, excellent. If not, cut him next year and move on. Let's start doing what other teams seem to do: Try guys out and move on if they suck.

My Mood
    Manic
    the Steelers are the only team i know that will sit guys so long that they acctually lose their desire to play i mean really look at every team that drafted o- lineman in the first or second rd 85 to 90 % of the picks start or get significant time Gilbert would not have seen the light of day for 1 or 2 more years if colon didn't get hurt. Keenan played almost all of the snaps with the first team defense and showed more than flashes . he was solid during the preseason and mc Fadden didn't play a snap but he gets the start? no wonder why guys lose interest .Another thing that i can't figure out is Crezdon Butler and Tony Hills were cut and snatched up by Arizona and Denver before they were done packing now both are 2nd string for there new teams and it looks like Hills will be starting tackle soon right now he backs up Orlando Franklin a rookie .I've never seen teams pick up players so fast it's like they were like oh man are you serious look what i found! Worilds would be starting his second season at olb this year use him or trade him that's what i say

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    the Steelers are the only team i know that will sit guys so long that they acctually lose their desire to play i mean really look at every team that drafted o- lineman in the first or second rd 85 to 90 % of the picks start or get significant time Gilbert would not have seen the light of day for 1 or 2 more years if colon didn't get hurt. Keenan played almost all of the snaps with the first team defense and showed more than flashes . he was solid during the preseason and mc Fadden didn't play a snap but he gets the start? no wonder why guys lose interest .Another thing that i can't figure out is Crezdon Butler and Tony Hills were cut and snatched up by Arizona and Denver before they were done packing now both are 2nd string for there new teams and it looks like Hills will be starting tackle soon right now he backs up Orlando Franklin a rookie .I've never seen teams pick up players so fast it's like they were like oh man are you serious look what i found! Worilds would be starting his second season at olb this year use him or trade him that's what i say
    Keenan Lewis is a guy I really feel for. He looked solid in the preseason, yet McFadden automatically gets the start and Lewis doesn't even get the nickel job. Yeah, I'm sure these guys really get motivated knowing that they have about a 1% chance of cracking the lineup.

My Mood
    texans-hater
    This is all Mike Tomlin's doing and his love for playing veterans who he expects to continue to play at a high level when in reality they simply cant anymore because they just arent good enough. Foote is definitely one of those players, and guys like Farrior McFadden and dare I say Aaron Smith are in that same category as well. The young guys sooner or later especially in the secondary guys like Lewis and Brown have got to be given more opportunities especially if McFadden continues to fail miserably like he did in the Ravens game this past week.

Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    This is all Mike Tomlin's doing and his love for playing veterans who he expects to continue to play at a high level when in reality they simply cant anymore because they just arent good enough. Foote is definitely one of those players, and guys like Farrior McFadden and dare I say Aaron Smith are in that same category as well. The young guys sooner or later especially in the secondary guys like Lewis and Brown have got to be given more opportunities especially if McFadden continues to fail miserably like he did in the Ravens game this past week.
    It isn't all Tomlin. This has been a part of the Steelers philosophy long before Tomlin was here and we do play some guys early, look at Brown and Sanders last year, they got time on the field. I understand exactly what you mean though and I'm not saying you are wrong or even disagreeing with you. I'm not sure how they go about deciding who plays quickly and who has to sit a while because there doesn't seem to be much consistentcy to it.

A lot of coaches are famous for keeping having "their guys," the most obvious example of Parcells comes to mind there.

Quote Originally Posted by Harrison92 View Post
    For God's sake, look at Pouncey; he will be an All Pro center for the next 10 years. Look at Kendrell Bell as a rookie, he was a beast. Gotta give these guys a chance to get their taste right away. I still maintain that Ziggy should be starting over Smitty right now.
    Pouncey is a GREAT example of how well it can work out. I was wondering how long it would take before someone brought up Kendrell Bell, he didn't end up working out, what a disappointment, thought he was gonna be a stud for years!

Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    At this rate all our draft picks will be 3 years behind the rest of the league.

Thread Information