Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After futher review; key turning points in loss to Ravens

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Sunshine

After futher review; key turning points in loss to Ravens

Taking a look back at the Steelers-Ravens game on my DVR

* For my money, the play of the game was the Ray Rice 36-yard run on the first snap. It was a simple zone run to the left for Rice, but it set the tone for the entire game.

This is what happened: Troy Polamalu was blocked to the outside by tight end Ed Dickson; backside guard Marshal Yanda cut Casey Hampton while he was being blocked by center Matt Birk; guard Ben Grubbs put Brett Keisel on his backside; fullback Vonte Leach locked down James Harrison; and the big man, left tackle Bryant McKinnie, cleared the way for Rice with by swallowing linebacker James Farrior.

The play was blocked up absolutely perfect by the Ravens. However, 36 yards should’ve never come out of it. Ryan Clark missed a tackle 12 yards down the field that resulted in an extra 20-plus yards.

Dick LeBeau always is the first to credit Clark for being the reason why the Steelers rarely give up long runs. That is very true because Rice’s run should’ve been 15 yards at the most if it wasn’t for Clark’s missed tackle.

It happened again later in the game when Ricky Williams went 26 yards. Clark missed a tackle that resulted in a nice gain turning into a long gain.

* Just think, the Steelers allowed three rushes of 24 yards or longer the entire season last year. They allowed Baltimore to surpass that twice within three quarters Sunday.

* On Joe Flacco’s touchdown pass to Anquan Boldin, it is puzzling to think why LeBeau didn’t give Bryant McFadden help over the top rather than Ike Taylor on the other side.

McFadden not only needs more help when the two corners are 100 percent, but especially when McFadden was playing in his first game action the entire season because of a sore hamstring.

Saying that, what a wonderful throw by Flacco and even a better catch by Boldin.

* It may be legal, but I am sure Hampton didn’t appreciate the constant backside cuts by Yanda. Yanda came over and cut Hampton on Baltimore’s first four running plays of the game. But again, it also is a good way of render Hampton ineffective.

* You just assume that when Terrell Suggs sacks Ben Roethlisberger it is the left tackle’s fault – or in Sunday’s case, Jonathan Scott’s fault.

That is not the case.

Baltimore uses Suggs in a various number of ways and actually line him up on either side depending on down and distance.

On Suggs first sack of Roethlisberger late in the first quarter that resulted in a fumble, Suggs lined up at on the opposite side of the formation that he usually lines up

If that wasn’t bad enough, he ran a stunt to perfection with Haloti Ngata and came untouched to the quarterback.

Who to blame you ask? Not Doug Legursky.

Hate to break it to you folks, but that was 100 percent Maurkice Pouncey’s fault. He needed to recognize the stunt and pick up Suggs and hand off Ngata to Legursky.

It didn’t happen and one of the big plays of the game resulted out of it.

* Just to be critical for a second when it comes to Jim Nantz and Phil Simms. When Rice scored to make it 14-0, Nantz said “they might want to look at this one” and Simms rebutted “they can if they want.”

Hmm, you are the top broadcast team for CBS and you don’t know that all scoring plays are automatically reviewed now?

Interesting.

* Aaron Smith had an awful game. Period.

And it had nothing to do with his surgically repaired arm. What was the most worrisome about Smith is that he got physically manhandled.

No illustration is better than when Rice plunged in from the 1-yard line late in the first quarter to make it 14-0. Yanda drove Smith five yards off the ball that created all the room Rice needed to score.

Sorry, having a bum arm last year has nothing to do with getting pushed off the line of scrimmage.

* On Rice’s touchdown catch late in the first half to make it 21-7, you have to think Flacco was licking his chops when he saw Lawrence Timmons walk out with Rice to the near sidelines. Even if Timmons is fast, there is no way he could stay with Rice.

That was the theme in general all game. The Ravens got their matchup and executed it to perfection.

* The first play of the second half when Rashard Mendenhall fumbled after a crushing hit by Ngata, the entire problem with this play started when Pouncey had trouble identifying the ‘Mike’ linebacker.

Pouncey then appeared to snap the ball early that caused the chaos.

I am not going to sit here and pretend like I am smart enough to absolutely know whose fault it was, but if I was guessing, I’d say that David Johnson was responsible for blocking Ngata.

However, the overall blame I’d say would have to be put on Pouncey. There’s no question his early snap is what caused all the confusion in the first place.

* You do have to give Flacco a lot of credit, but some of that credit has to go to offensive coordinator Cam Cameron.

When Flacco threw the ball, he threw in quickly – either 3- or 5-step drops and got rid of the ball quickly. When Flacco wasn’t throwing on a rhythm, it would be because he was moving the pocket on some kind of waggle.

It was smart because it never gave the Steelers rush to get near Flacco.

* Ngata is a heck of a player and he showed that on back-to-back plays to start the third quarter (sack-fumble and tip pass that resulted in a pick). But there is no need for a player of his caliber to stand over Jon Scott after laying him out with a blindside hit and flex his muscles.

Not classy at all.

Link
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Starter
    Great analysis. You should send that to the coaches. You are hired sir!

Thanks for taking the time to explain things. It helps me make sense of my utter befuddlement at what I witnessed. I am still waiting to wake up on Sunday, 9/11 to my alarm and watch the first game of season . . .

SOLID ANALYSIS DUDE!!! That is far and away the most intelligent thing I have read on this forum ever or at least the most intelligent thing I have read regarding this particular topic. Again, SOLID ANALYSIS DUDE!!!!

I want to address something you wrote and I hope you can clear it up for me. About the cutting of Hampton, I was under the impression it was illegal, IF he is engaged with another blocker at the time of the cut block. Is that not correct? I deleted my DVR'd copy of the game or I would go back and look again, but it may be he was not engaged at the time of the cut blocks. I have to believe that is the case or the refs (or someone) would have noticed it at some point.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Agreed with everything. Esp:

On Rice’s touchdown catch late in the first half to make it 21-7, you have to think Flacco was licking his chops when he saw Lawrence Timmons walk out with Rice to the near sidelines. Even if Timmons is fast, there is no way he could stay with Rice.

That was the theme in general all game. The Ravens got their matchup and executed it to perfection.
    I do not and will not ever understand this. How do you give Timmons one on one coverage with Ray Rice with absolutely NO safety help. Timmons is a linebacker, not a miracle worker. You just don't put a big linebacker like Timmons on a small and speedy running back like Ray Rice.

I give you total credit, not just for the analysis, but for the ability to sit through that debacle for a second time.

Banned
    No doubt the most impressive part of this was that you were able to sit through that game again. I've refused to even watch ESPN this week, outside of last nights games. F*ck watching that **** again...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Very well said Pele, couldn't agree with you more. That first play from scrimmage was the turning point in the game. The Ravens grew with confidence after that and there was just no stopping them.

Clark's missed tackle just made my blood boil, you just cannot do that in a game like this but we see it time and time again. If he doesn't get the kill shot, his effectiveness is diminished.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-14-2011 at 12:53 AM.

I decided to repost this here because I felt like it fit this category better than the one I originally posted it in. I hope no one minds the re-posting, if so sorry.

So I've been thinking about it and this is what I have come up with. This loss looks WAY worse than it actually is. People are freaking out and wanting to make all sorts of changes because they aren't used to seeing the steelers lose like this. Well, neither am I but let's not make sweeping changes just yet. Hear me out:

Normaly when we lose or have a bad game it is because only one aspect of the team struggled. Well last Sunday pretty much every area of the team struggled.

1 If the D is having a bad game the offense is usually there to bail them out. If the O is struggling the defense is usually there to bail them out.

2 If the passing game is having issues, we can usually run the ball to get the offense going. If the run game is struggling we can usually pass the ball and therefore, get the run game going.

3 If the other team is passing the ball on us we make them one dimensional by shutting the run game down and if they are running the ball our pass defense can slow down the other team

Well, on Sunday we had one of those RARE occassions of the ENTIRE team playing poorly therefore no one was there to bail out anyone else and narrowly win or keep it close enough to hide or weaken the effect of some of those deficiencies. That is all it really is.

If we had lost by a touchdown or a FG would anyone really be calling for sweeping changes or would we just be saying, "well, it is the ravens and they usually beat us once a season anyway, I guess this is their one." That combined with the fact that it was week 1 and we don't have 2, 3, or 8 other games to base our opinions on.

I am not worried. I do not think we should suddenly change anything. This team was in the SB last year and has won 2 others in recent history. The success of this team has been built over many years of solid philosophy, schemes, and quality talent. We didn't suddenly forget how to play football and the NFL didn't pass us by while we were sleeping. We just had a bad day and everything will be fine

I know the O line has its issues and our secondary is struggling too. We have young guys in place, hopefully they will develop the way so many other draft picks have for this team in the past. Every team in this league has an area of weakness that opponents try to exploit, the Steelers are no different accept that so far we have been able to overcome those issues and not only consistently make the playoffs but make it to and win a couple of super bowls.

Also as this post grows, I hope everyone takes the time to read the original posters comments (1st post). You will not be disappointed you took the time it is REALLY REALLY INSIGHTFUL
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-14-2011 at 02:06 AM.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm not freaking out at all and really the Steelers always have a stinker game every year it seems like.....It just happens this year it was the Ravens who laid the smack down......

I really think the Steelers thought they could just show up Sunday and beat the Ravens.....The Raven you can tell wanted the game and wanted to make statement....Hats off to them for having a great game plan....It sure worked....pissed me off but it worked...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I'm not freaking out at all and really the Steelers always have a stinker game every year it seems like.....It just happens this year it was the Ravens who laid the smack down......

I really think the Steelers thought they could just show up Sunday and beat the Ravens.....The Raven you can tell wanted the game and wanted to make statement....Hats off to them for having a great game plan....It sure worked....pissed me off but it worked...lol
    I know we all keep saying they seemed to think they could show up and win, but another thing I think we may be over looking is:

In the NFL you keep doing what works until it doesn't anymore. The ravens hadn't shown us they could stop our typical gameplan so there was no reason to change. I think we didn't see too many in-game adjustments cause we were down so fast it was just time to start slinging it around to try and get back in the game as opposed to the typical minor half time adjustments and reworked gameplan.

I'm positive the proper adjustments and gameplan will now be in place for the next meeting.

Thread Information