Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's Steelers looked over confident & unprepared for season opener

Bookmark and Share
    I did notice that. He was like 8 for 45 and then 12 for 38 or something like that. After that they just stopped using him. Thats what you get for getting that far behind so fast I suppose.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Veteran
    Flacco, 17/29 224 yards 3 TD 0 INT 117.6 Rating.

Steelers gave up 170 yards rushing on 31 carries. 5.5 yards per carry. Rice had 19 carries, 107 yards (5.6)

Baltimore was 7/16 on 3rd down, Steelers 3/9.

Ben: 22/41, 280 yards 1 TD, 3 INT, 2 fumbles, 52.9 rating.

About the only thing Baltimore didn't do was return an INT for a TD.

To me, the most amazing stat is this. 7 points, 7 turn overs.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by JensK View Post
    I did notice that. He was like 8 for 45 and then 12 for 38 or something like that. After that they just stopped using him. Thats what you get for getting that far behind so fast I suppose.
    They just gave up on the run too soon IMO. When you're down 29-7 in the second half, ok, maybe you abandon the run. But when it's only 2 scores you have to keep some kind of balance.

Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    Bruce Arians getting out coached?! That's even more unheard of than Tomlin getting out coached.
    LOL.....hey, i'm just stating the facts. Some people act as if Tomlin calls the plays on offense and defense.

Veteran
    ESPN just had a clip of the Steeler coaching meeting. BA just said to Tomlin, I think we need more slow developing draw plays. 8D

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nolrog View Post
    ESPN just had a clip of the Steeler coaching meeting. BA just said to Tomlin, I think we need more slow developing draw plays. 8D
    We had a minimal amount of bubble screens today too. Only like 20.

Reminiscent of the New England game last year, much? You could tell from the beginning that the defense was soft: Rice's run was a sign of things to come and Boldin's TD was simply a case of things not going the Steeler way.

The thing that scares me to death is that this team has two glaring holes that they did absolutely nothing to address: The middle of the field on defense is a liability and the offensive line is offensive. How many big plays for the Ravens began as intermediate passes in the flat? Seeing tight ends and running backs going across the middle uncovered tells me that either the linebackers are stuck trying to bailout the linemen, or that someone in the secondary cannot do their job. No pressure and no ability to cover gives you what we saw today.

The offensive line just did not hold its own. Legursky was downright disappointing and Pouncey did not appear to be playing much better. Some good and some bad with the tackles, but the Baltimore defense was able to pin its ears back and go after Ben. The worst that would happen is Ben throwing an inaccurate pass. How many unblocked defensive players did we see coming through? Just poor play through and through.

The play calling and coaching could definitely take most of the blame, though. Lebeau's bend and break defense reared its ugly head yet again and the offense's tendency to panic after a quick score by an opponent showed up, as well. The Steelers were out coached and outplayed and it was shown on the score board. Now, this can either be the KITA that the team needs to rebound, or the sign of things to come.

I do think that it shows that certain players are just about done. My primary target would be Clark: He used to be renowned for thunderous hitting; however, that style of play has been weened out of the league. That leaves an aging safety that is poor in coverage and unable to aide other weak areas of the team. Hopefully he can turn around, or the team gets away from its stubbornness and replaces him with someone who can play.

My Mood
    Addicted
    ^^ agree with everything.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    The thing that scares me to death is that this team has two glaring holes that they did absolutely nothing to address: The middle of the field on defense is a liability and the offensive line is offensive.

I wouldn't go as far as saying they did absolutely nothing to address.

They did pick Ironhead, Jr. in the first round, and while that wasn't a pick of dire need, it was a necessary pick.

The 2nd round was a O lineman, Gilbert.

Rounds 3 and 4 were corners and round 6 was another OLine man.

Their first 6 picks were 2 for the defensive line, 2 for the offensive line and 2 for the defensive secondary.

In 2010, they went OLine in the 1st and 5th, but didn't go corner until the 5th.

About the only thing they didn't do was go after a free agent, and Nnamdi wasn't ever a real option for us.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Someone bitch slap this idiot and his tired *** cliches on why we lost. Pathetic. Gd he knows our secondary is a big problem and it never gets corrected. The offense. No words for today's performance. The team does not operate in a vacuum Mr. Mike. Wake the f up.

And their fans.

Thread Information