Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The lockout effect continues..

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    no mood

The lockout effect continues..

As I said earlier the Steelers wasn't the only victims of bad defense this weekend. Tonight so far continues the trend as Brady threw for 517 yards and Henne threw for 416. Everyone predicted the shorter OTA's would effect the offense more, but the stats say the opposite. Hopefully another week of practice will help as only a handful of defenses kept the other teams offense in check this weekend.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's not uncommon to see good teams be able to move the ball on offense in a big way. Even average teams can start out well but after a few weeks things settle down and the playoff contenders start to rise above the lesser teams.

The lockout definitely affected the defenses. These guys thrive on hitting people and wreaking havoc. They haven't been able to do that until this weekend. In preseason nobody is going full bore no matter what they say. They are playing vanilla defense and just trying to get some reps in before being pulled for the backups to come in. They'll start to settle down in time, but yes it'll take a few weeks for them to get back to normal find their groove.

Ya, but the thing that is weird is it is consistently evident that defense is generally ahead of offense early on in seasons both college and pro. This year it seems to be the opposite of the norm. I always attributed it to the reactionary nature of defense, but don't really know why it is different this year.

Anyone Watching Raiders/Broncos? It's a good defensive battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisoneguy555 View Post
    Anyone Watching Raiders/Broncos? It's a good defensive battle.
    Ya it is but it is also 2 inept offenses at their finest.

I've always hated both teams (not sure why I've always hated the donkeys, just have) and I lived (sort of still do, but not really) for 10 years and that rivalry just isn't as intense as it used to be. The hatred isn't as intense from the teams or the fans, unfortunately. This used to be as good a rivalry as there was in the NFL and I miss that.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-13-2011 at 12:01 AM.

My Mood
    no mood
    Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post

I've always hated both teams (not sure why I've always hated the donkeys, just have) and I lived (sort of still do, but not really) for 10 years and that rivalry just isn't as intense as it used to be. The hatred isn't as intense from the teams or the fans, unfortunately, this used to be as good a rivalry as there was in the NFL and I miss that.
    I agree its more like the offenses not doing much. Oak does have 81 rushing yards at the half however so Denver better learn to stop the run.

--- Added 9/12/2011 at 11:07 PM ---

On a side note wow a 63 yard field goal.

James Harrison - "Right now, you know, some people may want to jump on the Steelers bandwagon.
    Don't do that. We don't need you. We didn't need you at the beginning, we don't need you now."

HAHA, too funny. on the halftime show Berman was just talking about what we were.

how the D is usually ahead of the O this time of year and how that isn't the case thus far this season

My Mood
    no mood
    Of course they was didn't you know the come here for their info. :P

Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post

I've always hated both teams (not sure why I've always hated the donkeys, just have) and I lived (sort of still do, but not really) for 10 years and that rivalry just isn't as intense as it used to be. The hatred isn't as intense from the teams or the fans, unfortunately. This used to be as good a rivalry as there was in the NFL and I miss that.
    There are far worse offenses that scored twice as many points as either of these teams will score today. To me, it's still a defensive battle... At least the best I've seen this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisoneguy555 View Post
    There are far worse offenses that scored twice as many points as either of these teams will score today. To me, it's still a defensive battle... At least the best I've seen this weekend.
    I know, actually both these teams have always had pretty good defenses. I was just saying that their offenses are really bad too and that helps the D look good. Don't forget that the Titans @ Jaguars was a 16-14 final.

Even though both these teams suck their games are usually pretty good and hard hitting. That is what I was saying earlier is this used to be as good a rivalry as there was in the NFL.

This stadium is nowhere near as loud as the old Mile High Stadium that always helped the game seem more intense. I'll say, too one of the most annoying things in the league from any stadium is the Donkey fans yell IN-COM-PLETE every time the other teams QB doesn't complete a pass. Used to drive me nuts when I'd go watch the steelers there
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-13-2011 at 12:34 AM.

Thread Information