Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin's Steelers looked over confident & unprepared for season opener

Bookmark and Share
    Starter
    My Mood
    Clowns
    There was alot of blame to pass around today. Must start with Tomlin for not having his team prepared.
    Cleveland Browns suck!

My Mood
    Clowns
    I agree with mostly everybody on here it just appeared as if the Steelers believed all the hype this week and all off-season about how Flacco couldnt beat them and how they were just completely invincible against him when Ben played. Well they got a huge wakeup call yesterday. The Steelers played like an arrogant unprepared football team and it showed up in all areas of the field yesterday. But like many have said on here already this could be the best thing that happens to the Steelers getting their asses handed to them the first game of the season. They will know from this day forward the corrections that they need to make and how they cannot let what happened yesterday happen again this season.

My Mood
    Impatient

Tomlin's share of the problem

Ok, this is not an angry rant, it would have been yesterday, but not today. Here is Tomlin's weaknesses that contributed to yesterday's loss. He likes consistency in coaching staff, so rather than get rid of a mediocre OC, he wanted consistency and we are stuck with BA for another year. He also like veterans and has "his guys" that apparently are untouchable. We kept Battle and Will Allen over Butler and anyone else that could contribute more. We kept Farrior because Tomlin loves vets. Clark, Farrior and McFadden should all have been cut after last season, but yet they keep their starting positions. Why? Tomlin likes vets. Then we come to our OL. Tomlin expects less than quality players to play at high levels and that just always isnt possible. These guys are bad and simply cannot perform at the level they need to. Its not a case of try harder, its a case of we need new people. Now, Tomlin has his strengths and I think he is a good coach, but I think his weaknesses right now are far outweighing his strengths and we will see that this year.
    Last edited by cmerrifield; 09-12-2011 at 10:01 AM.

Rookie Free Agent
    I think what is most surprising to me...is the fact that we look totally out of shape....the players clearly didn't work too hard during the lock out....we were sucking wind by the 2nd half. Which explains why we were completely beaten physically.

The worrisome part is the run defense. I was afraid we'd take a big step back this year. At some point the age and fatness will catch up to you...(lookin at you Casey Hampton) I can't recall ever seeing Aaron Smith consistently getting beat. Hampton couldn't push anything. Harrison was stood up most of the game and appeared to run out of gas. Woodley was stalemated most of the game. Foote was getting run over or missing tackles. Timmons was his usual self but dealt with blockers in his face all game. We've got problems on defense. Now you know why we used two 1st round picks on d-linemen the past 3 years. I might be time to use them. We are definitely going to take a step back in terms of run defense this year. If it becomes a problem though....we will miss the playoffs.
    Last edited by madtowndrunkard; 09-12-2011 at 09:57 AM.

Tomlin is scared of new young talent...

He puts way too much trust in old slow players, let the young guys have a crack!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Cool
    Clark must have Ray Rice treadmarks on his face today, he got run over so many times

My Mood
    Clowns
    Peter King was mentioning yesterday before Sunday night football how the Steelers are too old on defense and how next season because of the contract they gave to Polamalu the other day that they will be 20 million dollars over the cap next season. So right there is going to tell you how the Steelers are going to have to start going younger the next few seasons and cleaning house with some of these veterans such as Farrior,BMac,and even Aaron Smith. I agree also that Tomlin is very reluctant to play newer younger talent especially on the defensive side of the ball. If this defense doesnt step up and play better this season then he is going to be forced to turn to younger guys since the older ones arent getting the job done. Tomlin continually coming out after losses and sitting there saying we accept responsibility for what we did out there game after game much he said yesterday 3 or 4 times during his press conference is going to get old and tiresome after awhile because people dont want to hear that.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Also just had a thought, we cut our starting LT and no one is interested, but we cut scrubbs like Hills, Warren and Butler and they all get resigned. hmmmm, maybe we need someone else evaluating talent here.

We will see how good Tomlin is on drafting etc now. Remember alot of these guys still on defense are Cowhers guys. I know he did well on getting guys for the offensive side of the ball, but we need to see how good he is drafting talent and getting talent for the defensive side of the ball.

The same thing has always plagued this team. They value aging veterans over young talent and potential. While you need experience on your team, you can't keep putting these aging guys out there and expect them to keep up with their past performance; they are going to drop off. While Farrior had a resurgence last year, he played like crap the year before and looks to be back to that style of play if this game is a sign of things to come. Clark has been mediocre for as long as I can remember, but at least he used to crush receivers and tight ends and he could tackle. Now he misses and gets spun around.

I love what each of these guys have done for this team in the past, but you can't go on forever with this crew. The thing that scares me to death is the fact that they are willing to keep young guys on the bench. Are the young guys really that bad and/or stupid when it comes to mastering Lebeau's defense? I mean, the Ravens seemed to master it. The Packers and Patriots seemed to master it last year. Maybe it's time to get back to basics and put the best athletes on the field.

Thread Information