View Poll Results: Which Steelers rookie will stand out in 2011?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Cameron Heyward

3 15.79%
  • Curtis Brown

2 10.53%
  • Cortez Allen

1 5.26%
  • Chris Carter

0 0%
  • Marcus Gilbert

7 36.84%
  • Weslye Saunders

6 31.58%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Steelers rookie makes the biggest impact in 2011

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Which Steelers rookie makes the biggest impact in 2011

Since the NFL lockout really hampered the young players in particular, they'll be behind the 8 ball more so than past years with normal offseasons. They didn't get the chance to learn the playbook, take part in OTA's, build that unity ahead of time that you establish before training camp and preseason.

Be that as it may though, the Steelers have some rookies that made the final roster that will hopefully make some significant contributions in 2011.

Who's your pick and why, for the player that will shine this season?

Cameron Heyward
    Curtis Brown
    Cortez Allen
    Chris Carter
    Marcus Gilbert
    UDRFA - Weslye Saunders

There are some rookies that made the practice squad as well but since there's no guarantee they'll be activated in 2011 we'll leave them out of this discussion.

I'll go with Curtis Brown making some plays in the secondary

gilbert as soon as scott gets yanked for sucking

I gotta go Gilbert too...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Impatient
    I am on the Gilbert bandwagon

I am between Gilbert and Saunders, but went with Saunders. I think Gilbert has the tools to be an LT on this team, but I doubt the coaching staff will insert him into the lineup unless Scott gets injured; no matter how poor his performance.

Heyward will be a rotational player unless there is a significant injury and even then, Hood will more than likely get the job. Knowing the coaches, Curtis Brown and Cortez Allen have no chance seeing the field in a big role this season. They may get reps in nickel/dime packages, but it sounds like Keenan Lewis will be the guy if Bmac or Gay go down. With the LB corps, I see Carter's best chance to shine being on ST, but not defense.

This leaves me with Saunders. In the preseason, Saunders showed the ability to block and the ability to make some nice plays in the receiving game. I see him having the most opportunities to shine of all the rookies and I believe that he has the skills to capitalize on these chances. While the team seems to love Johnson for blocking, they rarely seem to utilize him in the passing game, although that might change after the preseason. If Johnson is still relegated to blocking, I think Saunders will quickly jump him on the depth chart as an option to both stay and protect and to go out and be a target.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Keep in mind too, not all of these guys will get that many chances to play this year unless either injuries ravage their position or the guys in front of them start playing poorly. I think the guy with the best chance to have an impactful year will be Gilbert. I really think that sooner or later something will happen and he'll have to come in for J. Scott and once he gets ahold of that job he won't let it go.

Heyward will get a lot of experience this year, he'll be in the rotation along with the others behind the starters, but it generally takes a couple years for guys to get the Steelers system down pat. Still I could see him making some positive plays for us this season.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Keep in mind too, not all of these guys will get that many chances to play this year unless either injuries ravage their position or the guys in front of them start playing poorly. I think the guy with the best chance to have an impactful year will be Gilbert. I really think that sooner or later something will happen and he'll have to come in for J. Scott and once he gets ahold of that job he won't let it go.

Heyward will get a lot of experience this year, he'll be in the rotation along with the others behind the starters, but it generally takes a couple years for guys to get the Steelers system down pat. Still I could see him making some positive plays for us this season.
    I am hoping I am wrong and Gilbert does make the biggest impact, but I am afraid that stubbornness and a lack of confidence this team always seems to have in a rookie will keep Scott on the field; good play or bad. I have to admit that Scott played much better at the end of last season than he did when he was first thrust into the lineup; however, that shouldn't be too hard to do considering how bad he started out. Hopefully he continues to improve or just gets tooled so badly that the team throws Gilbert in. I can't see the rookie being any worse than Scott and the experience would be great, I just hope he gets some opportunities to start this year.

My Mood
    Manic
    I think they will all get some playing time but saunders will get the most oppertunities in BA's scheme

Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post

This leaves me with Saunders. In the preseason, Saunders showed the ability to block and the ability to make some nice plays in the receiving game. I see him having the most opportunities to shine of all the rookies and I believe that he has the skills to capitalize on these chances. While the team seems to love Johnson for blocking, they rarely seem to utilize him in the passing game, although that might change after the preseason. If Johnson is still relegated to blocking, I think Saunders will quickly jump him on the depth chart as an option to both stay and protect and to go out and be a target.
    I also went with him.The guy looks like the real deal. If Miller gets injured he will be in there for sure.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information