Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 11th hour contract talks with Troy Polamalu

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

11th hour contract talks with Troy Polamalu

The Steelers have been negotiating with the agent for safety Troy Polamalu over the past several days, an 11th-hour attempt to sign the NFL defensive player of the year before the season begins Sunday.

Polamalu is entering the final season of his contract, and their previous discussions this summer with agent Marvin Demoff went nowhere and stalled. After the Steelers signed linebacker Lawrence Timmons to a six-year, $50 million contract two weeks ago, they decided they could do no more extensions until after the season.

Last week, however, team president Art Rooney had a change of heart and decided to give it one last shot.

Polamalu is scheduled to earn $6.4 million in salary this year, the last of a five-year, $33 million contract. He and wide receiver Mike Wallace were the last two key players with one year left on multi-year contracts the Steelers have not signed. They signed Timmons, cornerback Ike Taylor and linebacker LaMarr Woodley to multiyear deals in training camp.

The team adopted a policy in the mid-1990s not to negotiate contract extensions beyond the start of the regular season, a policy they have followed strictly. The only exceptions have come when they were close to finishing a deal before the season began and believed they could wrap it up soon thereafter.
    The Steelers are not close to one with Polamalu, who has been their starting free safety since his second season (2004), and it is uncertain they can complete one soon.

Both sides have some leverage. Polamalu was the NFL defensive player of the year in 2010 and earned a sixth consecutive Pro Bowl selection. The Steelers also have seen their defense lose its effectiveness when Polamalu is out with an injury or his play curtailed by one as it was in their Super Bowl loss against Green Bay in February.
    But Polamalu, 30, is under contract for this season, and the Steelers could name him their franchise player for 2012, keeping him on the roster for at least the next two seasons.

Demoff could not be reached to comment publicly on the negotiations; Polamalu steadfastly has declined to talk about them, and the Steelers routinely do not comment on contract talks.

The fact that Polamalu will count $6.4 million against their salary cap this season would make a new contract workable this year under the team cap because any signing bonus would be pro-rated over the life of a new contract.
    The team is somewhat concerned about the cash flow a new deal for Polamalu would chew up, and how it would affect their cap over the 2012 season and beyond after signing so many players to big, multiyear contracts this summer.

Whether they sign him over the next week or not, the Steelers are not likely to let Polamalu become a free agent next year. They have signed many players after their contracts expired and have used the franchise and transition tags on players to good use. The latest example came when they put the franchise tag on Woodley in March, guaranteeing him a $10 million salary this season. Then, they signed their star linebacker to a six-year, $61.5 million contract in August. They followed a similar path with former offensive tackle Max Starks after putting the franchise tag on him in 2009.
    The franchise tag for safeties is expected to require a one-year salary near $10 million next year. Polamalu, from Southern California, was the 16th player taken in the 2003 draft.

Wallace, in the third and final year of his rookie contract, would be a restricted free agent if he does not sign a new one before free agency begins in March.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Sweet, at least they are trying

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Impatient
    They try this most years. They are hoping that the desire for security will get them a discount. They tried it with Reed 2 years ago.

sent from my Evo using tapatalk

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    They might just get a deal done before the season starts......If so then Mike Wallace would be the only big name to keep next year.......

My Mood
    Chatty
    GET 'ER DONE!!!!!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Love
    Troy will get his contract. 43--STEELER FOR LIFE.

It would be cool to get him wrapped up this season, leaving Wallace as the big dog for next year, but they will probably come up with something either way. Just a damn shame that the guy can't stay healthy, although I guess it is his play that gets him injured a lot and we wouldn't like him if he played soft.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    They might just get a deal done before the season starts......If so then Mike Wallace would be the only big name to keep next year.......

It sure would be nice to enter the offseason in 2012 with only having to get 1 big name signed, and Wallace will be an RFA too which is another benefit.

It wouldn't surprise me to see them announce something before the game this weekend.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TampaSteelGirl View Post
    GET 'ER DONE!!!!!
    yea what she said...

Rookie Free Agent
    Could you imagine Troy playing for someone else? I simply can not!

I bet the Cardinals are licking their lips right now just hoping to grab another one lol

Thread Information