Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Keys to a Steelers victory over the Ravens

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Keys to a Steelers victory over the Ravens

I still believe this is going to be a physical, all out battle. That's just the way it is when these 2 teams play. Both sides have added firepower in the passing game which will allow each more opportunities for big plays on offense. Still though the team that can out physical the other will prevail.

Running Game: Neither team will reach 100 yds on the ground, it just doesn't happen very often. The front 7 of each is as formidable as ever and neither side will want to give up the ground game. Ray Rice can break one at any time; he's a compact, powerful runner who is good in the passing game as well. It's imperative that the Steelers stop the run because if Rice gets loose it will be that much harder to get a win on the road. - Advantage: Equal

Passing Game: This one clearly goes to the Steelers. With all the weapons Arians has to use, failure to move the ball is not an option here. The offensive line is the key, if they can afford Ben adequate protection there is no way the Ravens can keep up on offense. The big play ability of so many targets can be a dagger and allow the Steelers to take the crowd out of it early if they can hit a few. Joe Flacco does have Bouldin and Lee to throw too, both very good targets that can exploit the Steelers secondary if Lebeau isn't careful. Advantage: Steelers

Run Defense: Both of the front 7's of the Steelers and Ravens are formidable and can certainly generate a pass rush and stop the run. Neither side will normally give up much on the ground. If Mendenhall can get 70 yds on the ground it would not so easy feat to accomplish. The Steelers will need to contain Rice at all costs, and be careful of Vonta Leach, one of the most fearless blockers in the league. The Ravens are not afraid to try and run on the Steelers and they will certainly test these waters early and often. Advantage: Equal

Pass Defense: Neither side has significantly upgraded their secondary. Both sides have veterans but a lot of young talent that has potential, but is still unproven. The cornerbacks in particular have been an achilles heal of both teams in recent years. This will be a big part of the game on Sunday. The Steelers have a healthy Troy Polamalu back and Ike Taylor will be playing, probably still in a cast but that is still unknown for sure. Either way the talent at WR on both sides will prove to be a tough act to keep up with for the secondaries. Advantage: Slightly in favor of the Steelers due to the lack of established weapons in the passing game for the Ravens.

Special Teams
    : A big play by either side could be the difference in the game. The Steelers coverage units absolutely cannot allow a return for TD or a long return late in the game. Danny Sepulveda must punt it deep and allow the coverage guys time to get down and make the play. Short punts can be disastrous. Suisham will have his chances, both kickers will, so he will need to convert every field goal every time, no exceptions. Advantage: Slightly Ravens, being on their home turf with the crowd noise on a big FG attempt can make a difference.

Overall I like the Steelers to win this game, they can certainly do it, but it's a test of epic proportions certainly and one that they must pass to start off the season on a high note and take an immediate advantage in the division.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 09-05-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Rookie Free Agent
    This reminds me of....LOGAN's ADVANTAGE!!! I got the steelers lighting up the ratbirds 31-13. Antonio brown goes 80 yards recieving and a TD. Mendenahall goes 75 yds and 2 TDS. And another td to either Wallace or Heath Miller. and a kick by sushi.

I would put the Steelers run D over the Ravens run D. Steelers were best in the NFL for rush defense and Mendenhall has put up decent numbers against the ravens. Ravens run D got chewed up several times last season especially by Hillis.

2nd String
    I think Ben has to run a no huddle offense a few times to keep the Ravens off balance. I would go even so far as to go for at least one 4th and short in Raven's territory. That would really keep them off kilter.

The Ravens, although a fantastic football team at many levels, are very predictable. They count on a small handful of tactics. Our strength is the dynamic and fluid nature of the offense, with Ben being the "X" factor.

If we mix it up, and are successful on a few unorthodox plays, we will win easily. If we are not successful on that front, it will be anyone's game. Straight up smash-mouth football between these two teams is a dice roll.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Speeed View Post
    I think Ben has to run a no huddle offense a few times to keep the Ravens off balance. I would go even so far as to go for at least one 4th and short in Raven's territory. That would really keep them off kilter.

The Ravens, although a fantastic football team at many levels, are very predictable. They count on a small handful of tactics. Our strength is the dynamic and fluid nature of the offense, with Ben being the "X" factor.

If we mix it up, and are successful on a few unorthodox plays, we will win easily. If we are not successful on that front, it will be anyone's game. Straight up smash-mouth football between these two teams is a dice roll.
    I agree running the no huddle more often....Could be difficult for the Steelers offense to run it in noisy stadium on the road......

Protecting the QB and turn overs will be huge keys for both teams....Whatever team comes out on top in those keys will win the game......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben getting lose out of the pocket is a double edged sword, but is very effective. When he's loose he makes big plays but he also is free game for any linebacker or secondary player to light him up. He'll have a lot of chances to roll out in this game, he always does when there's pressure.

I would love to see them run the no huddle several times in this game and wear out that defense alittle bit.

POKER LEGEND
    just have to control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball......i believe if the line gives ben time to throw the offense will light their defense up they dont have the secondary to cover our wideouts

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's the biggest key right there. If the offensive line holds up I like our chances even more. If the Ravens are constantly in the backfield it will be a long day.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Jonathan Scott is going to be a big part of how well or not well the Steelers offense goes. If he can't control Suggs, then Arians NEEDS to put Heath or David Johnson over there to help out. It may limit some options to the TE but it will give Ben more time. This is a huge test that Scott absolutely must pass, no matter how daunting it is.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Steelers offense needs to come out firing to and put points on the board....Put Flacco in a hole and see how he responds......I think he will crumble as usual......

Thread Information