Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WVU FOOTBALL 2011

Hybrid View

WVU FOOTBALL 2011

I know I've seen several WVU fans on this site in the other threads and wondered if any of you had the desire to chat up anything about the Mounties?

Holgerson??

How we gonna do this year??

Recruiting??

Anything, really.........

OK, I see that people are are looking cause the thread has several views but no one has posted anything. I didn't have anything in particular in mind when I started this thread. I'll try to get a topic going just cause I'd like to talk a little WVU..........

Realistically we'll probably end up at 9-3 or 8-4 which would be a solid start for Holgerson as a 1st year head coach, but I could see us going 10-2 with the 2 losses coming to LSU and 1 Big East opponent. We've beat Rutgers like 18 years straight and every year I wonder if this will be the one to end the streak. Also, we've never lost to Marshall (although we've only played them like 10 times) and with Holliday doing some solid recruiting there they are closing the gap a bit.

Also, I have 3 tickets to the Norfolk St game if any of you live close by and would like to go the seats are good and I'll sell the tickets for $30/ea. I just can't make it up to that game.

DAMMIT!! If this weather delay has any effect on tempo, momentum, or flow in this game I'm gonna be PISSED. We were just starting to pull away and were gonna make this an easy win. They still can, but pausing for 1/2 hour or so, especially when the other team could really use the time to regroup makes me really nervous.

--- Added 9/4/2011 at 08:01 PM ---

I feel foolish continuing to talk to myself but I'm trying to generate a conversation with my fellow WVU fans.

I think Geno looks a little like Ben today. There are some similarities for sure. He is able to buy time in the pocket really well and seems to have that knack to get it done on 3rd down like Ben. He is definitely tough to bring down like Ben and he has shown he can pickup the 1st down with his legs if he needs to but certainly tries to do it through the air first.

I still see the "views" on this thread going up so I know people are checking in and just not posting. Well, I'm going to continue to talk to myself and I'm sure you guys are laughing at me. That's cool, I don't mind, I'm used to being laughed at. It kind of comes natural to me.

Looking ahead to the Maryland game:

The Mountaineers have beat Maryland 5 straight now and most of the games have not been close. We have a series lead of 24-21-1 all time vs the Terrapins so it has been a solid series of evenly matched teams historically. It is an away game at Byrd Stadium. Maryland generally plays pretty tough at home and I'm expecting this to easily be the toughest test of the season so far. This is something of a rivalry albeit a friendly one for both fans and players. The two programs both heavily recruit the DC and Baltimore areas so often times the players are familiar with each other.

Danny O'Brien is the QB for Maryland, he is a talented sophomore and many of the Maryland folk think by the end of his career could be the best QB to come through the program. That is saying a lot considering both Boomer Esiason and Frank Reich are alumnus of the football program there. He may be the best QB in the ACC and I expect Maryland to contend with EJ Manuel and Florida State for the right to represent the Atlantic Division in the ACC Championship game. They have a big talented RB Davin Meggett (son of NFL RB Dave Meggett) and Junior WR Kevin Dorsey that WVU will have to contend with. This team can move the ball on offense and put up some points. Their defense is anchored by Kenny Tate who made the switch from Strong Safety to Outside Linebacker this year.

The matchup to watch and likely be the deciding factor in the game is to see if the WVU O-line can get a push on Maryland's front seven allowing us to run the ball. We have 3 solid young RBs and if they can be effective it will really open up the passing game for Coach Holgerson and the Mountaineers highy touted offense.

I'm a little nervous about this game and hope our D can hold O'Brien to around 200 yards passing. Look for McCartney to continue to have a breakout season at WR and for Tevon Austin to make an impact in the return game on special teams. As long as we can continue the trend of big scoring plays and coming out with a strong second half the Mountaineers should be heading back to Morgantown with a win leaving us undefeated for the much anticipated matchup with LSU.

*If anyone was wondering about Maryland's uniforms this week: All black, no word on design details

*UPDATE: Maryland suspended Senior Starting WRs Quintin Mcree and Ronnie Tyler. Indefinite suspension for violation of team rules. Together they had 13 rec for 82 yds 1 td in the first game win vs Miami.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-16-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Nice win over Maryland today. Got the running game going finally and Geno was sharp all day. The terps made that late push but both the offense and defense stepped up when they had to, that should provide some quality experience for down the road.

GAMEDAY is coming to Morgantown next Saturday (9/24) for the LSU game!

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Hey, at least you are ranked. Good luck. The high school I went to football team is called the Mounties. POASH. Philipsburg Osceola Area Senior High School. Pennsylvania.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Manic
    uCONN WILL UPSET THEM LOL

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    UConn is upsetting me, right now by wanting to bail on the Big East for the ACC (I don't blame them though). This whole conference re-alignment stuff is driving me nuts!

I thought it was necessary when the Big East expanded in the 80s and when the ACC added GT and then Florida St in the 90s. Taking the SEC and Big 12 to 12 teams and having a conference championship games was a good idea too. All those moves seemed justified as a reaction to how college football had grown.

What is going on now is downright disgusting to me. I know it has always been about money but this is over the top greed in my opinion. One of the beautiful things about college football was that is was such a regional sport. Traditions are being trampled on and I really don't understand the constant rush to change things. College Football is at an all-time high in popularity and I think these moves are going to take away from the regionality, the parody, and so many of the things that have made college football so different from the NFL. I love them both and for very different reasons and I would like to see them remain different.

That being said, WVU is in an ugly position right now. There is an outside chance they end up in the SEC or the Big 12. None of that makes sense, but the Big East is dead as a football conference and as much as I hate it WVU needs to get out too.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    What happened to your boys? I know you were joking, but we couldn't get it going in the 1st half. I wasn't worried because of how well our D was playing and we've been a 2nd half team all season, but I was starting to wonder for a minute...........

This has been out for a while, but I thought that anyone interested that had yet to read this would really enjoy it. It is a great read even if you aren't a WVU fan:

All Access: Hunkering Down With the Mountaineers by Bruce Feldmen

It is an in-depth look at the week of prep by the WVU coaching staff going into the LSU game

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...e-mountaineers
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 10-14-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Thread Information