Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batch will get the start Thursday..

Bookmark and Share

Batch will get the start Thursday..

TUESDAY, AUGUST 30, 2011
    Batch to start
    Charlie Batch will get the start at QB on Thursday in the Steelers preseason finale at Carolina, with Dennis Dixon following him.

Starter Ben Roethlisberger will not play at all.

Batch would appear to have the leg up to be Roethlisberger's primary backup, but there is also some concern among the coaching staff about having Batch play behind the third-string offensive line, which also factored into the decision to give him the start.

The staff feels Dixon is better able to escape pressure behind what is not a very good unit.

© Doug Legursky will get the start at right guard in the preseason finale, to get his chance "to state his case," according to Mike Tomlin.

Legursky will likely be the starter when the Steelers open in Baltimore.

© In addition to Roethlisberger, Ike Taylor, Chris Carter and Jerricho Cotchery will definitely not play.

Chances are, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Bryant McFadden, Maurkice Pouncey and Casey Hampton won't play either.

If Pouncey doesn't play, Trai Essex will start at center.

© The Steelers released nose tackle Anthony Gray, wide receiver Terrence McCrae, linebacker Chris Ellis and corner Niles Brinkley to get down to the 80-man roster limit.

Good, keep everyone on the sideline. The 4th game is for the youngsters trying to make the team and the vets don't need the work. We got our 2 preseason W's and have seen what we need to see from the starters. Only thing that could change with them playing is an injury and none of us need that.

I wonder if Batch will be the #2 or if this is just a matter of O line protection as the article stated. I'm on record being in favor of Dixon, but I'm fine with Batch and would prefer him if I wasn't so concerned about him getting beat to hell.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Ben is ready, so am I , I may sit Thursday also

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    Ben is ready, so am I , I may sit Thursday also
    LOL the last meaningless game until sept 11th...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I'm hoping beyond hope that maybe Hills will be able to land that starting job, but barring some type of miracle it's most likely going to be Legursky. Not a bad choice mind you, I was just hoping to see Hills that spot down.

Sitting Ben is a good idea, and also he should sit most of the rest of defensive starters IMO. An injury to anyone of them could be very dangerous with the regular season only 2 weeks away.

Batch is the right choice to backup Ben, let's just hope he stays healthy. If I'm Tomlin I let Batch play for a bit and then stick Dixon in the rest of the time.

Please Ben don't get hurt this year. If Charlie has to play when it counts we are in trouble. Maybe a better option will get cut on Friday.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I'm hoping beyond hope that maybe Hills will be able to land that starting job, but barring some type of miracle it's most likely going to be Legursky. Not a bad choice mind you, I was just hoping to see Hills that spot down.

Sitting Ben is a good idea, and also he should sit most of the rest of defensive starters IMO. An injury to anyone of them could be very dangerous with the regular season only 2 weeks away.

Batch is the right choice to backup Ben, let's just hope he stays healthy. If I'm Tomlin I let Batch play for a bit and then stick Dixon in the rest of the time.
    Just make it through without injuries. Three deep at QB (includes BB). Let's keep it that way.

--- Added 8/30/2011 at 07:25 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Please Ben don't get hurt this year. If Charlie has to play when it counts we are in trouble. Maybe a better option will get cut on Friday.
    Who fills his shoes worry #1. IMO.

--- Added 8/30/2011 at 07:32 PM ---

Steelers Projected 53 Man Roster Version 2: http://bleedblackandgold.com/blog/ Remember this is a projection only.
    Last edited by RIVERS OF STEEL; 08-30-2011 at 08:40 PM.

And their fans.

Rookie Free Agent
    How long has Batch been a Steeler? lol. I remember that stretch after Big Ben's motorcycle accident that it seemed like the team didn't miss a beat with Batch as the starter. Was Tommy Maddox the 3rd string back then? : )
    http://www.FromThisSeat.com/index.ph...burgh-steelers
    "Tell Us About Your Seats at Heinz Field"

My Mood
    Addicted
    If Pouncey doesn't play, Trai Essex will start at center. Pouncey better not play his ankle needs rest and we need him for the season hell we already know what we getting out of Pouncey so sit him Tomlin...

© In addition to Roethlisberger, Ike Taylor, Chris Carter and Jerricho Cotchery will definitely not play.Chances are, James Farrior, Troy Polamalu, Bryant McFadden, Maurkice Pouncey and Casey Hampton won't play either. They all should sit
    Except Chris Carter what's wrong with him?

Good, keep everyone on the sideline. The 4th game is for the youngsters trying to make the team and the vets don't need the work. We got our 2 preseason W's and have seen what we need to see from the starters. Only thing that could change with them playing is an injury and none of us need that. my thoughts exactly

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I think you bring up another point worth mentioning. Pouncey not playing means someone else (Essex) getting some time at Center. Some actual live game practice for someone at center could prove to be valuable if Pouncey were to get banged up and need to sit during the season.

Thread Information