Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it too early to start talking 2012 Draft??

Bookmark and Share
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    dont get me wrong, in tates case i like the versatility because hes good at FS and i cant imagine at his size and with his skills him not bieng good at OLB. its very case specific really
    No, I'm with you 100%. It is VERY VERY case specific but a lot of people seem to automatically see 2 postitions and say "nope, if he's listed with 2 he can't even play 1" and that just isn't always the case.

1. Super-FREAKISH-athlete
    2. change in OC or DC
    3. excessive injury (gotta love a guy willing to sacrifice for the team by moving)

Those are some real legit reasons a guy can move positions and honestly play a couple

Ray Ray Armstrong is suspended a minimum of 4 games and I thought that would happen which is why I didn't bother listing him originally but if he drops a ton he could be a STEAL in the late rounds which may actually help a team like us out in the long run
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 08-31-2011 at 04:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post
    No, I'm with you 100%. It is VERY VERY case specific but a lot of people seem to automatically see 2 postitions and say "nope, if he's listed with 2 he can't even play 1" and that just isn't always the case.

1. Super-FREAKISH-athlete
    2. change in OC or DC
    3. excessive injury (gotta love a guy willing to sacrifice for the team by moving)

Those are some real legit reasons a guy can move positions and honestly play a couple

Ray Ray Armstrong is suspended a minimum of 4 games and I thought that would happen which is why I didn't bother listing him originally but if he drops a ton he could be a STEAL in the late rounds which may actually help a team like us out in the long run
    problem with ray ray is he kind of blows, hes still riding high off high school recruit status...he got benched an awful lot last year and really wasnt impressive when he was on the field...like i said hes got a long ways to go...thought he could be a 5 star recruit, go to miami and be the "next" miami safety...its laughable.

not to say i dont like what he could possibly bring to the table though, the man is talented

problem with ray ray is he kind of blows, hes still riding high off high school recruit status...he got benched an awful lot last year and really wasnt impressive when he was on the field...like i said hes got a long ways to go...thought he could be a 5 star recruit, go to miami and be the "next" miami safety...its laughable.

not to say i dont like what he could possibly bring to the table though, the man is talented
    I'm saying with the current suspension issues, if he was there in 6-7 round and we've handled our business (depending on what is still available) taking a flyer on him that late could be worthwhile. It's a situation where if he's shown growth on and off the field a strong franchise like ourselves could make it work.

My Mood
    Manic
    The problem is the Steelers only have a chance at one or two of the players mentioned cause they won't trade up for anyone on the list and we pick at the bottom of the round

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Heres a quick set of rankings (by round for the steelers, so im leaving out guys i want no part of, or that dont fit, or they wont have a chance in hell at) also its probably top 3 rounds rankings at this point

Needs in order imo

CB
    FS
    NT
    G
    RB
    MLB
    TE
    T
    OLB

Steelers are 100% set at DE, C, RT, hopefully LT

First round guys that have my attention:

Alfonzo Dennard- Unique build for a CB, violent jam, excellent tackle, little stiff but would look real good playing in the steelers defense. Hes excellent in run support and when he tackles the ball carrier goes down.
    Chase Minnifield- Great natural technique, insane hops and return ability, ball skills, reminds me of revis in his natural ability but needs to be polished up....filled in nicely for ras-i dowling last year and gets to be the guy in virginia this year....he will be better than dowling and cook, both were top 35 picks.
    Manti Teo- Can probably play any LB position, would be a hammer in the middle of a 34 and could probably even play outside as a pass rusher...reminds me of a young farrior but probably even better and more instinctual.
    Vontaze Burfict- Could end up being one of my favorite prospects ever...absolutely bat **** crazy on the field, plays out of his mind with no regard for his own or others bodies. Insane is the only way i can describe him, compares favorably to ray lewis imo. just brings a physical, nasty presense to the field is probably the best MLB since willis.
    Trent Richardson-wouldnt be the most popular pick, but who knows where mendenhall ranks on their priority list. Richardson is better than ingram imo, hes a miture of michael bush and steven jackson imo, hes just a big, hard runner. not gonna lie hed look good as a steeler.
    Xavier Rhodes- Pretty big man crush here....nnamdi clone in that he has good speed, excellent technique, extremely long arms, and is a big 6-2 215 CB. Hes not the physical freak patrick peterson is but he has INSANE quickness for a big corner, hes going to be a great pro corner...so rangy with lockdown ability. Probably a 4.5 guy but never gets beat to have to use his speed
    Mike Brewster- Its hard to look at him and not think Nick Mangold...honestly hed be a great LG but i would even say he could play center for us and let pouncey crush the world at LG, wont happen but skill set wise that would be a brilliant due.
    Cordy Glenn-Pretty sure hes playing LT this year for the bulldogs, i like him as a guard though...Cordy Glenn>>>Mike Pouncey/Mike Iupati imo

Ray Ray Armstrong- has a lot of work to do to be a top pick, really needs to get his **** together but physically he looks the part
    Kenny Tate- switching to OLB this year, might be a SS in the pros...hard to tell til we see him play his new position...not just an athlete like taylor mays, the dude can ball out
    Robert Lester
    Mark Baron
    Alameda Ta'amu
    Chapman
    Michael Floyd- poor mans larry fitz, needs to stop drinking and driving
    Davis Decastro- monster guard, stanford is cranking out some good pros
    Jayron hosley- undersized but fiesty, great technique, and a ball hawk

i need to watch more of the guys i left blank before i make a legit comment on them, but theres some early rankings
    I like me some Davis Decastro.....I know Glenn is a beast and I would happy with him as well....But Decsatro is the anti Kemoeatu.... Decastro has great technique and won't commit the stupid bonehead penalties that Kemo does......

Interesting if they would go after a RB like Trent Richardson...I agree with you that he will be better then Ingram......I could see the Steelers letting go of Mendenhall.....since RB's are easier to find then other positions......

Steelface I'm with you on Lattimore.....I love that kid...lol

Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post
    That's the usual arguement but I don't like condemning everyone to that. It's much more of a case by case basis. BTW I liked the idea of getting Brewster and moving Pouncey, but you're right, never happen.

[/QUOTE=K Train;435864]DE depends greatly on evanders future, if they tell him to pack on 15 pounds and prepare to play NT (im 100% pro that move btw) then no i think DE could be in the near future and crick could certainly get consideration there (hes pretty much by far my #1 5tech next year right now) but if we roll with hood and heyward at DE and realistically have keisel for another good 3 years and smith for another 1 year probably thats a SOLID rotation.
    You are correct and I too think Smith comes back for one more year (and have said as much despite the negative reaction it brings) but I still think we ought to draft one.

Trent Richardson is interesting, I'd be all for it, but I'm holding out hope that we get Lattimore (South Carolina) in a couple seasons.[/QUOTE]

I think for us to get Lattimore we'd have to have a bad season the year before he comes out. If he keeps up what he did last season I think he'll end up being a top 10 pick in the draft. DE & OL need to be a priority IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    The problem is the Steelers only have a chance at one or two of the players mentioned cause they won't trade up for anyone on the list and we pick at the bottom of the round
    I don't start worrying about where they are gonna get drafted until much later and like I said I'm not any kind of expert I'll just make a mental note of a few people here and there I think there is a chance could be drafted around where we end up picking. Obviously staying away from the people that look like guaranteed top 10. My list is also very preliminary, just people I remember noticing last year. I'll let you worry about refining the lists and putting everyone into a spot I'm too lazy for that and it seems like you're already really good at it, no need for me to try to keep up with you. I just like talking about it and am glad I'll have someone to bounce ideas off of. I don't wanna try to go Kiper/McShay with ya!!

I'm gonna add one guy right now though:

Wing Punter LSU-- he's an australian dude and can BOOM it with his LEFT and RIGHT foot and is equally impressive with both. I don't know any more than that just thought he is worth a mention he might even be a freshman??

I'm really only about half joking
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-03-2011 at 10:51 PM.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Just dont plan on drafting to high. I have a really good feeling about this season.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Manic
    Two names the Steelers could use on Defense
    Kendall Reyes 6'5" 300lbs 4.8 40 DE Academic All American
    Dontari Poe 6'4" 350lbs NT Bench pressed 500 squats 700 5th strongest in ncaa
    Reyes is a great value in the 3rd or 4th rds Poe Probably3rd or 4th if he comes out he's a junior
    Last edited by connecticutsteel; 09-09-2011 at 08:52 PM.

I wanted to add QB Ryan Lindley out of San Diego St to the mix. I've seen some talk about him but not much. He's 6'4" 230 has that NFL QB frame and a strong arm. He can make all the throws and could be available. I think he'll be moving up draft boards as the season progresses, obviously depending on what type of numbers he has but if he could be available if the Steelers decided to take a QB in the early/mid rounds. Either way I think he'll be on teams radars and probably is already.

I just think with the fact Dixon seems to want out and Leftwich/Batch are both old he could be someone we could bring along and would definitely make a solid backup.
    Last edited by STEELyourface; 09-09-2011 at 10:59 PM.

Thread Information