Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Harrison at half speed

Bookmark and Share
    Steel City Mafia # 632

Harrison at half speed

So how long do you let Harrison play with his back like that? They say it's only preseason..then why have him in there at all?..He looked super slow in pursuit of Ryan on that one play..and I wonder if they are content with him at 80% or do you let one of these young guys get a chance while he heals up..thoughts?

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    James was talking in a recent interview with the Tribune Review. He's still having pain in his back and leg, and the fatigue factor was painfully evident in the preseason so far. If you saw him try and chase down Matt Ryan, you saw a shell of what he was last year. He was almost briskly jogging it seemed rather than the relentless pursuit we are accustomed to seeing out of him.

He was admittedly winded and worn out in the first half. Normally James has no problems chasing down any Quarterback or running back in the league. Without being able to work out in the offseason due to the 2 back surgeries, we won't see the Harrison we're used too until late in the season if not next year. James is a monster in the gym and prides himself on being ready to go every year. He practices hard and plays harder. Him being limited this offseason had to drive him up a wall. It takes quite awhile to get into football shape and be able to sustain that motor for an entire game. Still though, his "out of shape" is better than 95% of people in the whole country,

Now yes it is still preseason, and he's not going to go full out. Also if you noticed he was dropping back in pass coverage more than usual, so that didn't help the fatigue factor. Perhaps once the season starts they'll just let him focus on the pass rush in an effort to keep him fresh longer. Either way though, Lebeau is going to have to be creative to help maximize what James can do in a game without him wearing out and being a liability. At this point though, Worilds is not exactly lighting up the stat sheet either. This will be a situation that will have to resolve itself over time.

Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-29-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Question is: If he's uneffective on 9-11 do you yank him???
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Either way though, Lebeau is going to have to be creative to help maximize what James can do in a game without him wearing out and being a liability.

Shouldn't be a problem there.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah that's the good thing about having such a genius like Lebeau calling the defense. He can find ways to maximize players abilities. I suspect part of it is James just not going 100% in preseason anyways, and maybe he'll look better in the regular season. Either way he's not going to be the one we're used to quite awhile. That puts the burden squarely on Lamarr Woodley to pick up the slack. I don't think we'll see a 16 sack season from Harrison this year.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Yeah that's the good thing about having such a genius like Lebeau calling the defense. He can find ways to maximize players abilities. I suspect part of it is James just not going 100% in preseason anyways, and maybe he'll look better in the regular season. Either way he's not going to be the one we're used to quite awhile. That puts the burden squarely on Lamarr Woodley to pick up the slack. I don't think we'll see a 16 sack season from Harrison this year.
    I'm not concerned in the slightest. He'll get back to where he was at some point and I think we'll see enough production out of him to be just fine. Woodley was talking about racking up more sacks this year anyways. Someone will pick up the slack if there winds up being any.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't know that many are all that concerned either at this point. It will open up opportunities for others like Woodley. Not that Lamarr needs any excuses or help, and neither does the rest of the defense. They know Harrison isn't at full strength so they will step up their game.

Where we'll see the most affect will be late in the game when he's been out there for 3 hours and trying to make the big play to save the win.

This will be a chance for Worilds to get some more playing time, although he's not been that impressive this camp or preseason so far. It wouldn't surprise me to see Lebeau rotate Harrison out of the lineup here and there to help keep as fresh as possible.

Put Worilds in... Harrison is slow right now.

Put Sly in.. Farrior is slow too.

A half speed Harrison isn't getting to the QB...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

It looked like he gave up on Ryan. Regular season, I bet he would have pushed to get him. Still, it is a concern if Harrison isn't ready.

Thread Information