Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3rd down defense rearing it's ugly head again

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

3rd down defense rearing it's ugly head again

Yes, I will preface this thread with the same thought we should all have in these games going on right now...it's preseason. There, that's out of the way now.

The starters on defense had some big plays obviously, but man that 3rd down problem that has plagued this unit in the past showed itself again last night. Time after time they had Matt Ryan and the Falcons in a 3rd down situation and couldn't get off the field. I can recall off the top of my head several 3rd and longs where the secondary let White or Jones find a soft spot in the middle, or got caught playing too far off on the sidelines and Ryan found them for big gains to move the chains.

Keep in mind also that there were many different faces at cornerback tonight as the coaches try to find their starting group for opening weekend. McFadden didn't play again tonight either. Regardless, both Tomlin and Harrison said in the post game pressers that they were not happy with the defense especially on 3rd down.

I feel as if Ryan Mundy is being overlooked a little. I'm not ready to suggest he is the answer but I have as much confidence in him as I do the other guys. I will readily admit that I am a huge WVU fan and that absolutely plays a factor, but I watched him make plays in college and because of his play there I believe in him. I think if given the chance he could work his way into a starting position and perform fairly well. I'm not just saying that because he went to WVU. I know college is not the NFL but after watching this guy get it done consistently in games I form this opinion. I would just as quickly tell you if someone from WVU sucked, for example Wes Lyons is a disaster and I cannot stand seeing him in a Steeler uniform.

I know you guys will think I'm crazy on this one and that's cool, I probably am, but he made some plays tonight and I think it could work out. Again its that 3rd season where you see a lot of these guys "put it all together" or "something just clicks" and this is year three for him, so maybe......

when your CB is playing 17 yards of the line of scrimmage, any QB will get the pass off???

I dont see that strategy at all. what is that crap...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ryan Mundy is having a good preseason. He's a solid Safety who often gets overlooked because he plays behind Polamalu and Clark. He's just one of those guys that comes in whenever he's asked too and does his job. He's not flashy, not spectacular, just reliable and solid. The problem is that you get so used to seeing all the free lancing by Troy and the big hits from Clark, that when Ryan comes on the field you sometimes think he's not doing well because he doesn't make the huge play all the time.

There is a difference in play between the 2, but that's not a knock on Ryan. It's just 2 different play styles and Troy does things nobody can do. Ryan is a solid player and a very cool guy.

This team though better watch themselves on defense, you don't want to be staying out on the field all day again letting these teams convert 3rd and 10, 12, 15 yds all day. I would be They will be looking hard at the film on that this week.

It's all part of their master plan to let the Ratbirds think they have a chance. Come 9/11 I'm sure they will be ready for Flacco.

It's certainly an issue just like it was last year. For most of the teams we'll be fine. For the top 5 or 6 qb's/offenses we need to come up with something. 6 or 7 minute drives by the offense will help.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Addicted
    Hold for 1 yard on first down, hold for 4 yards on second down, give up 15 yards on 3rd down. A recipe that I fear Steelers fans have gotten to know all too well. You can't scheme to give up the big play when it's 3rd and 10 and then you give up 15 or 20 yards. There are some huge holes in that logic.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Just hoping that once Taylor comes back and McFadden ( if he is a starter ) our 3rd down D will get better.

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Ryan Mundy is having a good preseason. He's a solid Safety who often gets overlooked because he plays behind Polamalu and Clark. He's just one of those guys that comes in whenever he's asked too and does his job. He's not flashy, not spectacular, just reliable and solid. The problem is that you get so used to seeing all the free lancing by Troy and the big hits from Clark, that when Ryan comes on the field you sometimes think he's not doing well because he doesn't make the huge play all the time.

There is a difference in play between the 2, but that's not a knock on Ryan. It's just 2 different play styles and Troy does things nobody can do. Ryan is a solid player and a very cool guy.

This team though better watch themselves on defense, you don't want to be staying out on the field all day again letting these teams convert 3rd and 10, 12, 15 yds all day. I would be They will be looking hard at the film on that this week.

Sorry, I should have specified I was talking about moving him to CB. I'll probably get killed for this, but I think he could make the switch and be a starter.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    McFadden was hoping to play last night but that hamstring wasn't quite ready. If I'm Tomlin I try to get him on the field for atleast alittle bit next weekend, just a serious or 2 to help get him back into game mode mentality.

Mundy is a good Safety, one of the better backup's in the league no question. I don't know that you need him at CB right now. He's got the size, 6'1" , 209 lbs. There's a lot of untapped talent at CB right now for this team, they just have to get them all on the field at the same time to figure out who's going to step up.

As far as the 3rd down defense goes, I'm watching the game again right now. The pass rush is getting to Ryan and flushing him out at times, but not quite being able to finish the job. The CB's are playing a bit more safe than usual. Chalk that up to young guys still trying to find their way if you like. Gay was getting good pressure, so was Harrison, and Timmons, but Matt Ryan is cool as ice and able to roll out or stand tall and deliver the pass.

The amount of blitzes and crazy schemes available to the defense in the regular season aren't fully utilized in the preseason so that is partly to blame as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Mundy is a good Safety, one of the better backup's in the league no question. I don't know that you need him at CB right now. He's got the size, 6'1" , 209 lbs. There's a lot of untapped talent at CB right now for this team, they just have to get them all on the field at the same time to figure out who's going to step up.
    You're probably right, I would just like to see it attempted. I think our secondary would benefit from him being on the field more and that is a way to do that and possibly solve a problem area. He's always played safety but at WVU they play that 3-3-5 so he did a fair bit of covering in addition to traditional free safety assignments. I thought when he was drafted that any team could've easily decided to have him make the transition.

Thread Information