Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The roll out helps save Ben Roethlisberger

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The roll out helps save Ben Roethlisberger

For those that watched the Falcon's game last night, you saw early on the Steelers making a conscience effort to roll Ben out of the pocket and create extra time to set up the throws. Now, this is not something new, we see it regularly by the offense. It's a great weapon to have and Ben runs it perfectly. He does very well especially running to his left but either way I want to see more of it.

Not only is a good play in general to use, but it helps keep Ben from getting killed. With Hills starting at RG most likely and either Gilbert or Scott at LT, the Steelers will need to rely on plays like this to help keep Ben from getting crushed. When you roll out the QB it allows him to by more time by running away from the pressure coming from his back and the pressure in front of him can be blocked down and away from him. Plus when you pop a RB or TE out to his roll out side that gives you an extra blocker who can always break off and get in the flat for a completion.

Arians needs to call more of this type of play this year, it's effective in moving the chains and keeping our Quarterback upright.

Yes indeed I've been saying it for years, roll him out!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Now even more since Leftwich is done for the year, you've got 2 brittle backups behind him. The more Arians can do to keep Ben's uniform clean the better. I know Bryon wasn't the most reliable guy in terms of health either but man...

The Texans do this a lot, if Arians had more brains he could utilize this a lot better. It was obvious the Falcons were looking run, then Ben does a roll out and strikes deep. What the Texans do is they will run, but every run they do, the quarterback will roll out after he hands the ball off, this keeps the outside defensive end holding his position to watch the QB allowing the running back to get a couple more yards on a cut back, then once the defensive end stops holding, they will do a play action and the quarterback can pick up yards with his legs or just have a lot of extra time to get a pass off.

Arians probably wont do that, but I can see him calling more roll outs for Ben in the future, and just statistically Ben is more accurate when he's throwing from outside of the pocket than he is throwing from inside of the pocket, so it utilizes his own strengths as well as protecting him from the weak pass blocking.

Rookie Free Agent
    Roethlisberger is the best in the NFL when it comes to throwing on the run. No need to be afraid of him sitting back in the pocket, not too many people can bring him down.
    http://www.FromThisSeat.com/index.ph...burgh-steelers
    "Tell Us About Your Seats at Heinz Field"

I think its important to get him rolling out straight off from the start of the season - get everyone used to the way it works now before he gets banged up and then decide they HAVE to do this. Better prevention and acting before it is a situation that they have to do something about.
    FoggBloke
    Windsor
    www.langtonhouse.co.uk

I think the most effective example of the roll out/bootleg is from Mike Shanahan when he took over the Broncos and had John Elway. That was their bread and butter and they used it to perfection. I see many similarities between Elway and Ben's game and think it could be incredibly effective used in a similar manner.

Someone mentioned the Texans doing that as well, that began because of Gary Kubiak's connection with Shanahan which is where he learned it and Kyle Shanahan (son) was also on that staff. I think BA stealing from them (we know the NFL is a copy-cat league) and using it with Ben is a great idea.

Props for bringing that up guys!

I don't personally care for Shanahan but its hard to deny his ability to call and script plays.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Remember Ben's rookie year when he would just roll out and throw it deep to Plax......He did it all the time that season....I agree roll Ben out all the time...He has the arm and accuracy to throw it on the run......

Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland
    Quote Originally Posted by STEELyourface View Post
    I see many similarities between Elway and Ben's game and think it could be incredibly effective used in a similar manner.
    Ever wonder why Ben chose #7 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Katmandu View Post
    Ever wonder why Ben chose #7 ?
    Ben has been compared to Elway since he was a rookie. Ben essentially is Elway 2.0

Thread Information