• Dennis Dixon

13 54.17%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers 3rd QB, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers 3rd QB, Dennis Dixon or Charlie Batch

Steelers backup quarterbacks Byron Leftwich, Charlie Batch and Dennis Dixon could be playing for a starting job in the team's final two preseason games.
    Just not necessarily in Pittsburgh.

Miami's and San Francisco's starting quarterback jobs remain unsettled, and other teams are scouring the waiver wire and seeking trades in search of a serviceable No. 2.

Not surprisingly, the Dolphins and several others are taking a long look at Leftwich, Batch and Dixon, beginning with tonight's matchup against the Atlanta Falcons at Heinz Field.

"I think it's everyone's dream to be a starter," said Dixon, who last year went 1-1 as a starter during Ben Roethlisberger's four-game suspension before a knee injury ended his season. "But it's all about timing. Right now, I'm in a position to fight for a job — that's all that counts."

With the Steelers' seemingly vulnerable along the offensive line, it's possible Roethlisberger could miss time, thrusting one of the backups into a starting job.
    Problem for the Steelers is deciding who.

The reserve quarterbacks kept the Steelers afloat with a 3-1 record before Roethlisberger returned from his suspension. Quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner is confident any of the backups can command the huddle and lead the Steelers to back-to-back AFC titles.

"They all have had a good camp, and they are in pretty good shape," Fichtner said. "It's remarkable what they were able to do without us (during the lockout). I know Ben is feeling pretty good about himself. Byron, as much as anybody, missed not being here for the offseason workouts. He likes to study the game, and he's learning more about the concepts of our offense, and he's challenging himself to make plays."
    Leftwich probably will be Roethlisberger's backup when the Steelers visit Baltimore in the regular-season opener Sept. 11. But offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and Fichtner likely will have a difficult time sorting through game film trying to decide who the third quarterback will be.

"I don't prepare myself as a backup," Leftwich said. "I'm ready at the drop of a hat. If you prepare yourself as the backup, you'll slack off."
    Leftwich has proven he can adjust. In recent years, he has played in four different offenses — two with Atlanta, then Pittsburgh, then Tampa Bay before returning to the Steelers last season.

"We're very confident if one those guys have to step in," Fichtner said. "They are really starters-in-waiting."

But someone likely must go after the final preseason game Thursday at Carolina. Keeping a fourth quarterback is rarely an option.

"I don't know if there's clear-cut No. 3, but we were on uncharted waters last year given Ben's situation," Fichtner said. "This year, minus the circumstances surrounding Ben, every day is an evaluation. If they let me keep all four quarterbacks, I wouldn't turn either back in. I'm trying to keep them focused so they can play well for the Pittsburgh Steelers — maybe for themselves."
    The Steelers have options. Among the scenarios is dealing Batch or Dixon, who was forced to report to camp a week late because he signed as a free agent.
    "I'm not opposed to any deal, but that's not up to us," Batch said. "Nobody is really in control of their own destiny. When you get on the field, everybody is watching you play."

If the Steelers jettison Dixon, they would be left with two backup quarterbacks with a combined 23 years of experience. For a team trying to infuse its roster with youth, bouncing the 2008 fifth-round pick out of Oregon seems counterproductive.
    "Dixon is starting to get a rhythm now," Fichtner said. "He's getting more reps in game. He's moved the ball, but little mistakes here and there have kept us from getting points on the board."

Byron Leftwich
    NFL experience: Ninth season
    Height, weight: 6-5, 230
    Of note: In his second stint with the Steelers after appearing in five games in 2008. ... Was 5 of 7 for 42 yards in last year's regular-season finale, his only game action. ... Has thrown for 10,260 yards, 58 touchdowns and 41 interceptions in his career.

Charlie Batch
    NFL experience: 14th season
    Height, weight: 6-2, 216
    Of note: Has been with the Steelers since 2002, appearing in 26 games. ... Made two starts last season; overall, he finished 29 of 49 for 352 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions in three games. ... Has thrown for 10,402 yards, 60 touchdowns and 47 interceptions in his career.

Dennis Dixon
    NFL experience: Fourth season
    Height, weight: 6-3, 209
    Of note: Started the first two games last season before a knee injury sent him to injured reserve. ... Finished 22 of 32 for 254 yards and an interception. ... Had played in just two games before last season, with one start. ... Has thrown for 402 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions in his career.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I know the Steelers are trying to get younger at key positions, and they've done a good job. The youth and talent that is either starting or will be starting in the next couple of years is very impressive.

However at QB, I just don't see how you keep Dixon around just because he's younger. Quarterback is too important of a position to have someone around who can't do the job. In this situation it's a no brainer, you keep Charlie Batch. There's no rush to bring in a new young QB right now. Ben is in the prime of his career and Leftwich is still young enough to be able to play efficiently. Batch showed last year he can still play well when called upon.

Dixon hasn't shown enough in his limited time on the field to warrant a spot behind a savvy veteran like Batch, for a time trying to win another Super Bowl.

My Mood
    Addicted
    We all know that Dixon isn't very good, but Batch is way way way past his prime. He's done great things for us in the past, but there's a reason that Leftwich took his place as backup QB. I think if it comes down to it, which I don't think it will, I think Dixon gets the reps. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE Charlie Batch. I just think his playing days are numbered.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    Dixon gets cut, unless Batch goes on IR tying his shoes between now and then. I like em both, but honestly I dont have much faith in any of our QBs behind Ben in a long term role.

Id prefer Dixon made the team and they made Batch a coach. But Dixon is gonna leave ASAP so they might just let him go now.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I just have no faith in Dixon to run this offense should they need him to play. He's just as brittle as Batch is but with far less experience.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachintosh66 View Post
    Id prefer Dixon made the team and they made Batch a coach. But Dixon is gonna leave ASAP so they might just let him go now.
    That's what I would like to see happen. But true, Dixon wants out to go somewhere where they'll appreciate his god given gift

My Mood
    Sunshine
    The fourth quarter will belong to Dixon to show case his talent ( did I just say that) fpr a possible trade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Cool
    I'd cut Leftwich, keep Batch & Dixon. Batch is like having another coach on the sidelines and they only brought Lefty in when Ben was serving his time in the penalty box. Dixon, not great, but cheap.

I don't even think it's a question, Dixon for sure. Love Charlie but his days are behind him.

--- Added 8/27/2011 at 02:20 PM ---

I say Dixon without a doubt. Charlie has experience but he has about 3 years too much experience. Neither one is going to win you a SB, but calling the right plays I think Dixon gives you the best chance to win a few games.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    Read somewhere today that it is Batch.

And their fans.

Thread Information