Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UK fan needs advice on getting to a home game

Bookmark and Share
    Hey, thanks for all the excellent info.... looking forward to seeing those pictures BRC!
    I'd love to come to a tailgate - we hear so much about them over here and about how good they are.... At Wembley they have a "tailgate" but I can't image it's like the real thing, just a collection of side shows and retail....
    Roll on the start of the season and Dec 4th!!!!
    FoggBloke
    Windsor
    www.langtonhouse.co.uk

All good advice, I too go once a year, stay at the old Hilton which is something else now. Short walk across the bridge. Always go to Primantis in the Strip but never after the game, you will be there forever. It may be very cold in December, I'm afraid you may never have experienced the wind coming off the Point in a stadium which has an open end. I dress as if I'm hunting in Alaska or your experience will suffer. Hands, face and feet need to be protected, and protected well. I have down mittens and use hand and feet warmers just for the occasion. Lots of layers, trust me you will need it. Have fun.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldoc View Post
    All good advice, I too go once a year, stay at the old Hilton which is something else now. Short walk across the bridge. Always go to Primantis in the Strip but never after the game, you will be there forever. It may be very cold in December, I'm afraid you may never have experienced the wind coming off the Point in a stadium which has an open end. I dress as if I'm hunting in Alaska or your experience will suffer. Hands, face and feet need to be protected, and protected well. I have down mittens and use hand and feet warmers just for the occasion. Lots of layers, trust me you will need it. Have fun.
    We bought hand and feet warmers for the game last year. They were a bit uncomfortable but they did their job. No matter how warm I dress I always seem to cramp up from the cold towards the last half of the game. Not fun at all. Luckily I'm going to the game on Oct 30th this year, which shouldn't be too bad.

Rookie Free Agent
    Trip Advisor is a pretty cool website that can tell you a lot about visiting Pittsburgh. I know they are linked to tons of sites so you can book your hotel and plane.
    http://www.FromThisSeat.com/index.ph...burgh-steelers
    "Tell Us About Your Seats at Heinz Field"

Quote Originally Posted by jwmann2 View Post
    Trip Advisor is a pretty cool website that can tell you a lot about visiting Pittsburgh. I know they are linked to tons of sites so you can book your hotel and plane.
    HI
    I know a bit about Trip Advisor - my own B&B is on it! But I'll check it out after I get the flights sorted.
    Just getting my head around the likely temperature during the game.... we are lucky if it goes below Zero at all around here, so will have to go shopping for some serious cold weather gear.... might have to get it when I get to Pittsburgh, I don't even think they sell anything good enough over here!
    FoggBloke
    Windsor
    www.langtonhouse.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Foggbloke View Post
    HI
    I know a bit about Trip Advisor - my own B&B is on it! But I'll check it out after I get the flights sorted.
    Just getting my head around the likely temperature during the game.... we are lucky if it goes below Zero at all around here, so will have to go shopping for some serious cold weather gear.... might have to get it when I get to Pittsburgh, I don't even think they sell anything good enough over here!
    Sure they sell the proper gear there. My mate is from Mountain Keanes (sp?) and when he comes to the states for skiing he's got all the good cold weather gear he needs. I wanted to mention, as far as a good place to stay, if you like nice hotels (and don't mind spending money on that sort of thing), the William Penn is a really nice hotel and is not a bad walk to the stadium (about 1.5 miles). I just thought since you mentioned you own a B&B you may like nice hotels. Some people do, some don't thought I'd mention it though

Quote Originally Posted by steeldoc View Post
    I loved the old Hilton because the Steelers stayed there - I don't know where they stay now since it's no longer the Hilton. We haven't been there in awhile. I find if I dress right, especially with the down coat and all the other stuff I don't get too cold. A lot of it has to do with how far up you're sitting, too, I think. That wind blowing off the river especially at night games in December can be brutal. I think it's the best when it's snowing though.

Have a great time, if I had the reddies I'd go with you.

Unlike you the missus would love it too!

Does the boat still run to the stadium that time of year, that's a cool way to get there?

B&B in Windsor, interesting, will have to check that out.

All the best

Keith

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by UKSTEELER View Post
    Have a great time, if I had the reddies I'd go with you.

Unlike you the missus would love it too!

Does the boat still run to the stadium that time of year, that's a cool way to get there?

B&B in Windsor, interesting, will have to check that out.

All the best

Keith
    Pretty sure the boat runs every game, but I have no clue where it leaves from and if you have to wait in line forever to get on it.

Nice idea the boat, but I have a feeling I'll be enjoying the walk as a good chance to look around and buy WARM clothing!!!
    FoggBloke
    Windsor
    www.langtonhouse.co.uk

Thread Information