Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Any chance we get Pryor?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Pryor visits with Steelers

Sunday featured another long practice at the Steelers' South Side facility as well as a little intrigue.

Roughly 90 minutes after a two-a-half hour practice ended, former Ohio State and Jeannette standout Terrelle Pryor visited the Steelers at their team headquarters.
    Pryor will be selected in today's NFL supplemental draft, and the question the Steelers have to answer is how much they are willing to give up for the former Buckeyes quarterback.

The team that selects Pryor forfeits the corresponding pick in the 2012 draft. The supplemental draft order is the same as the 2011 draft, meaning the Steelers pick near the bottom of every round.

Drew Rosenhaus, Pryor's agent, has said Pryor is a "first-round talent," but opinions vary on where he will go in the draft.

Pryor is a developmental quarterback -- if that is position he even plays at the next level. His size and athleticism coupled with his raw quarterback skills have fueled speculation that Pryor will be moved to another position.
    "He's physically a beast," said Steelers wide receiver Antonio Brown, who trained with Pryor during the offseason and shares an agent with him. "He's big, strong, fast. He's a great quarterback."

Pryor held his Pro Day on Saturday at Hempfield High School, and both Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert and coach Mike Tomlin attended it. Afterwards, Pryor, a three-year starter in Columbus, told teams he wants to play quarterback in the NFL.

"But I also said because I'm so far behind, if you want me to do some things and get on the field where I play quarterback or somewhere else, if you feel that it's best to win. I'm all about winning," Pryor said Saturday.

Hosting a local draft prospect is anything but out of the ordinary for the Steelers. They make it a point to familiarize themselves most with draft-eligible players in their area.

The 6-foot-5, 231-pound Pryor has ties to Steelers beyond his hometown's proximity to Pittsburgh.

Steelers quarterback Charlie Batch mentors Pryor, and Pryor spent the offseason working on his throwing mechanics and other fundamentals with Ken Anderson.
    Anderson served as Tomlin's first quarterbacks coach, from 2007-09, before retiring. Tomlin has known Pryor since the latter was in high school.
    The Steelers already have four quarterbacks on their roster, though Dennis Dixon could be a candidate to go because he can become an unrestricted free agent after this season and wants a chance to win a starting job. Batch, meanwhile, is 36 and entering his 14th NFL season.

New guidelines, per the collective bargaining agreements signed earlier this month, may encourage teams to keep a third quarterback who is athletic enough to run the wildcat offense or serve in a "Slash" role, similar to what former Steelers quarterback Kordell Stewart did early in his career.

Teams no longer have to designate a third or emergency quarterback on game day. That means a third quarterback can play without compromising the eligibility of the other signal-callers on the active roster.

In past years, the top two quarterbacks were not allowed to return to the game if the third-stringer played.

Whichever team selects Pryor has team to figure out exactly what it wants to do with one of the most decorated athletes ever to come out of western Pennsylvania.
    Pryor has to serve a five-game suspension at the start of the regular season. He would have served the same sentence, for violating NCAA rules, had he stayed for his senior season at Ohio State.

Pryor, who won't count against a 53-man roster until after the first five games of the season, and four others were punished for selling memorabilia. Those transgressions led Pryor to leave Ohio State in May, though the NFL didn't approve his entry into the supplemental draft until Thursday.

"I'm excited for him," Brown said. "This process has been long and really stressful for him. I'm glad he had an amazing Pro Day."
    Brown did question, laughingly, the time (4.38 seconds) that Pryor posted in the 40-yard dash.

"I think they must have had some bad clocks out there," he said.

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    At least he wasn't getting handfed beaver!

As a TE or WR yes, he's not a QB...
    He's not a TE either... not with his speed! Besides that, no thank you...

Like they was saying on talk show last night...can he learn new position while at Pro level...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Quote Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
    He's not a TE either... not with his speed! Besides that, no thank you...
    i bet if he makes it to 31 we pick him up as a TE project...

he would be a hell of a TE with that speed. he wouldnt be asked to block too much, but to run easy routes and make mismatches.

im saying the steelers submit a 4th, its an exciting day to be a steeler fan by all reports....not that im expecting him to be a steeler today, but having them in the mix gets me pumped.

I'd love to land him in the fourth. He's as gifted an athlete as there is. Im not a Pryor fan, and i HATE ohio state, but you cant knock what the things the guy brings, physically, to the table. I like him as a TE who can also work at QB in OTA's... but a 6'4'' 230lb TE who runs a sub 4.4-40 is INSANE!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    I'd love to land him in the fourth. He's as gifted an athlete as there is. Im not a Pryor fan, and i HATE ohio state, but you cant knock what the things the guy brings, physically, to the table. I like him as a TE who can also work at QB in OTA's... but a 6'4'' 230lb TE who runs a sub 4.4-40 is INSANE!
    I hate the ****eyes as well but Pryor is a Pittsburgh boy......Plus like you and Ktrain said Pryor is such a freak physically.......The Steelers don't have many holes so really offering a pick in next years draft wouldn't kill them.......

NT, OG, DB, are the most pressing needs heading into next year........The Steelers always look to draft a LB since the 3-4 must have enough quality LB's.....

I hope Pryor is a Steeler......... We don't need him but at the same time down the road he could be huge for this team especially if he can make the transition to WR/TE......Plus can be the third QB......tremendous value......

It is never a bad thing when you can acquire talent. I would be worried about his character if he was being thrust into a starting QB role, but as a TE/WR project, I don't think he would be an awful investment. If he pans out you won, if not you lost a pick that probably would have sucked anyway.

hes not a bad charater guy, i remain firm on that opinion.

i think hes sort of an *******, ive met him before at a bar at PSU...hes a pampered athlete theres no doubt, he took gifts from osu and other parties (i would too though, no questions asked) but hes not a criminal, and hes a hard worker and hes doing everything right and saying all the right things right now.

no first or second round picks used...now is where it heats up

Thread Information