Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this the end for Aaron Smith?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Is this the end for Aaron Smith?

I didn't see him in the Eagles game . His knee was swollen after the Redskin game this isn't good for him being injured again plus they could save some money by cutting him and use it to take care of troy and timmons

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I believe Smith is in the final year of his contract anyway....I might be wrong but I thought I read that in a article.......Might as well let him finish out his contract if that is the case....No reason to play Aaron Smith much in the preseason......We know when healthy what he can do and really I think he still can contribute even in a reduce role this year.......

Cut him and develop the young guys (Hood and Heyward). This team needs to get younger, especially on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I believe Smith is in the final year of his contract anyway....I might be wrong but I thought I read that in a article.......Might as well let him finish out his contract if that is the case....No reason to play Aaron Smith much in the preseason......We know when healthy what he can do and really I think he still can contribute even in a reduce role this year.......
    we need him game one to stop leach/rice/williams. flacco sucks.

My Mood
    Impatient
    Smith works with the young guys and helps them in practice all the time. Cutting him wouldnt make any sense, unless we need the cap room, but they havent even contacted him for a pay cut as of the beginning of camp. He is fine, Smith is a guy that doesnt need camp or preseason. They are probably just letting him rest.

He is a vet who doesn't need preseason games to prove himself,he is a known commodity. The swelling in knee was probably just out out there as an excuse,I mean what other player isn't experiencing some swelling now that they are back to camp...Is it the beginning of the end,probably but I would be majorly surprised if he isn't on opening day roster....

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He played last week while the starters were in there. Tomlin lets veterans rest during the preseason periodically, especially ones coming off injury like Smith and Ward. No reason to make Aaron play all those snaps in meaningless games. A lot of players get swollen knees in camp and preseason; it's pretty typical.

The Steelers aren't going to cut Smith heading into the new season, unless they really had too for cap reasons. They are tight against the cap like always but they can afford him. No reason to cut him this year, let him finish out the last year of his deal and then retire. Hood knows his time is coming and having a guy like Smith on the roster to help the DL is always a good thing.

The rotation of Keisel, Hampton, Smith, Hood, Heyward, and then whichever backup NT makes the roster will be as solid a unit as Dick Lebeau has had in a long time. When healthy, Smith is still very effective, proving as much last year early in the season before his latest arm injury forced him out. My money would still be on Chris Hoke to back up Hampton this year again.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-20-2011 at 10:47 AM.

Starter
    the team has found ways to play around his absence...we made it to the superbowl without him ... imo he will end up to be an overpriced luxury and is by no means essential ..

We are stacked on the Dline...for now. I really do hope that Aaron can stay healthy because our depth will be awesome. Hoke has to be the man to backup Casey, he played really well last year. But next year we have to address NT and S in the draft.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

My Mood
    Pissedoff
    Man,some of you guys are ready to throw Smith under the bus
    and back it over him a couple times. Smith was and is still a vital
    component to this current D line. He has done so much for this
    team over the years,you don't just "cut" him etc... Thats B.S.!

The team is working in the younger guys at a good pace.
    Just let it ride and leave Aaron alone. We'll see what happens
    good or bad but Aaron bleeds black and gold and he should leave
    on his terms with the Rooney's blessings.

Thread Information