Thread: Lack of experienced depth on the OL...

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland

Question Lack of experienced depth on the OL...

Baring injuries, there's a lot of work to be done here!

What do you think ?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Lack of depth? I think this training camp and preseason has shown that there is some good depth, it just hasn't been tested yet. We're now starting to see what Hills can do, what Gilbert can do.

Legursky is money, no question one of the better backup lineman in the league.

We don't yet know who's going to be the backups and starters at LT and RG, but no matter who it is there looks to be some capable bodies behind them.

Gilbert is looking solid now that he's getting a chance to play some. Hills looked beastly last night at RG and did well at LT. Foster, assuming he makes the squad which I think he will, is more than capable of starting or playing backup Guard. Jonathan Scott started most of last year and didn't do that bad as I remember it.

Backup RT now becomes a question mark, if Colon goes down the musical chairs will start again.

Expecting to have great backups at every position is a pipe dream; it rarely happens. You usually have a couple good backups and then some serious question marks with the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Expecting to have great backups at every position is a pipe dream; it rarely happens. You usually have a couple good backups and then some serious question marks with the rest.
    I should have put good quality experienced backups.

I'd feel better if Flo or Max where still with us... Just saying...

My Mood
    Manic
    flo and max are a phone call away but we won't be calling them were good at o-line good work coach k

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    flo and max are a phone call away but we won't be calling them were good at o-line good work coach k
    I fixed the title of the thread for you.

We'd all feel better if Starks were still at LT, but it may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps it gives a chance for Gilbert to step up and make an impact earlier than he might of had Max still been on the team.

Assuming Colon stays healthy, the dropoff at RT should minimal at most. He was pretty decent 2 years ago and he's been hungry to get back in the lineup since. He's one of the meanest players on the OL as well, that's always a good thing.

I fixed the title of the thread for you.
    Thanks man. I just saw that and I was like..... ?? :>)

We'd all feel better if Starks were still at LT, but it may be a blessing in disguise. Perhaps it gives a chance for Gilbert to step up and make an impact earlier than he might of had Max still been on the team.

Assuming Colon stays healthy, the dropoff at RT should minimal at most. He was pretty decent 2 years ago and he's been hungry to get back in the lineup since. He's one of the meanest players on the OL as well, that's always a good thing.
    That's a very good point.

I detect a real increased level of pure HUNGER out of this year's team. Of course that gut wrenching loss in the SB is enough to motivate the Vets... but the young bucks now KNOW the standard and expections placed before them!

Then, having witnessed Pouncey coming out last year as a Rookie and making the Pro Bowl really shoots the expections off the chart IMHO.

Look how this ignites the passion and fury from everyone! THIS is what sets the Steelers far apart from the rest of the pack!

Don't know bout ya'll but, there's an energy and drive here this year that is out of this friggin world!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Lack of depth? I think this training camp and preseason has shown that there is some good depth, it just hasn't been tested yet. We're now starting to see what Hills can do, what Gilbert can do. I agree...

Expecting to have great backups at every position is a pipe dream; it rarely happens. You usually have a couple good backups and then some serious question marks with the rest and we have some decent back up when J.scott went out Gilbert came in when he went out T.Hills came in so we are ok we a number of RG's we are only weak at LG, RT, and maybe Center, overall i really like how the O-Line is turning out.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm just trying to get thru this preseason without any more injuries.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The only thing that will hold up this team in 2011 on the offense will be the line. If they stay healthy, can play the entire season together, and get better at pass blocking then the sky is the limit. Ben has already taken a pounding in the preseason. Now yes they've had many different guys in at RG, LG, and LT so far so that doesn't help.

Last year was a disaster with all the injuries, yet somehow they managed to still make it to the super bowl. The depth has to be ready, someone else besides Legursky too. He did everything last year, mainly because of the injuries but also because nobody else could pull it off.

Thread Information