Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tony Hills looked great at OG.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The next Kellen Winslow?

Tony Hills smiles as he thinks about those days when he had limitless potential as a tight end. Days when he was widely considered the top prep prospect in Texas, which is kind of like being the smartest person at Harvard.

"I would have been the first Tony Hills," he said.
    Hills' football odyssey has taken him from tight end to guard — the two are close in a literal sense but far apart by any other measure — and that's not even the half of it.
    Hills was once given little chance of playing football again, following complications from a knee injury. Nearly a decade later, the ultimate football survivor may be in the mix to start at right guard for the Steelers.

Hills, largely an afterthought in his first three seasons with the Steelers, has been one of the pleasant surprises of the preseason.

Hills reported to training camp in what he said is the best shape of his life, and here is where it gets a little humorous.

He also showed up weighing close to 330 pounds, around 15 more than what he usually carries on his 6-foot-5 frame.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin promptly assigned the fourth-year veteran to a 7 a.m. workout group, reserved for players who arrived at St Vincent College too big or out of shape.

Tomlin soon realized that Hills didn't need the extra work. Indeed, Hills had lowered his body fat to 13 percent during the offseason — it had been in the 20s, he said — while adding the extra weight.

"I feel quicker. I feel more powerful. I definitely feel more flexible," Hills said.
    Most of all Hills feels more confident after spending a summer with a Texas-based trainer that put him through something akin to boot camp while broadening his training horizons.

Hills said he rarely, if ever, used to stretch after working out. Now, that is one of the staples of his regimen.

The increased flexibility can only help Hills, because getting lower than the opponent is a critical component of successful offensive line play.

"The great thing about Tony is how much better his core has gotten," said Charlie Peters, who trained at Anytime Fitness in McKinney, Texas. "Your muscle strength and flexibility are one in the same, so you can be tight and exhibit some power but you're never going to get a full range of motion if that muscle's tight."
    Full range of motion is something doctors thought Hills might never regain in his left foot — not after the hit that changed the course of his football life in December 2002.
    Damaged goods

Hills had been the No. 1 recruit in Texas, according to several services, when he took a shot to the lower left leg while carrying a would-be tackler on his back. It happened during a playoff game in his senior season at Alief Elsik High School in Houston. The injury, which occurred in early December, left Hills with a torn lateral collateral ligament in his knee.

It ended his season and nearly his career, as nerve damage later caused Hills to lose sensation in his left leg, leading to what is known medically as drop foot. When Hills made his official visit to Texas in late December — he had already verbally committed to the school — he did so in a wheelchair.

Coach Mack Brown talked to him about still coming to Austin and helping with the program, though not once mentioning how Hills might do so on the field.
    Small wonder: Doctors, Hills said, had given him a 2 percent chance of playing football again. His mother responded by adding Hills to every prayer list she could find and pushing him as if she were also his coach.

After surgery in January 2003, Hills had a second operation in August that successfully removed scar tissue and cleared his return to football.

"I've been to hell and back," Hills said of the ordeal. "I've been blessed."
    When Hills got back on the field, Texas shifted him to offensive tackle. Hills backed up current Steelers left tackle Jonathan Scott at the same position in 2005, when Texas won the national championship.

He started the next two years before breaking his lower left leg near the end of the 2007 season. Hills slipped to the fourth round of the 2008 draft, where the Steelers took a chance on him.

To say he has played sparingly since then would be charitable.
    Hills, who looked overmatched at left tackle during his first training camp, has played in only five games. He is optimistic that the time he spent with Peters during the NFL lockout will change that.

"I feel like it's my time," Hills said.
    Peters agrees.

"He's the hardest worker I've ever seen," Peters said. "He doesn't quit."

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Very good article and after reading that you just want to root for Tony Hills even more......Injuries have slowed his development process and no wonder why we havn't seen much from him since he has been in the NFL....But now he is getting healthier and really in the best shape since he was injured.........We're finally starting to see the potential he once had....Not as a super TE but as a quality NFL OL even if he ends up at RG........

All the good news we can get, re; the o-line, is welome news. The o-line is still seen a a "work in progress."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_752551.html

This is definately really good news... we need a few guys to step up on the offensive line! Having a guy that athletic at guard should really help the run game.

great article

Reppin' 724
    I do get nervous when I see someone his size drop body fat and put on that much weight....there's always the chance he's on something.

But he did look pretty solid. I was loving that game.

ive watched the game 3 times.

he looks like a completely different player than weve seen...first of all holy **** hes a beast, i hope hes not on hgh lol. hes a legit monster of a human at that weight.

this may be a premature prediction, but based on the last two preseason games i think the man i once called a legit canidate for a franchise LT down the road, becomes the best guard weve had since faneca. im COMPLETELY re-evaluating needs now, the way gilbert and hills are looking the biggest weakness on the line might be kemoeatu this season

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    ive watched the game 3 times.

he looks like a completely different player than weve seen...first of all holy **** hes a beast, i hope hes not on hgh lol. hes a legit monster of a human at that weight.

this may be a premature prediction, but based on the last two preseason games i think the man i once called a legit canidate for a franchise LT down the road, becomes the best guard weve had since faneca. im COMPLETELY re-evaluating needs now, the way gilbert and hills are looking the biggest weakness on the line might be kemoeatu this season
    Kemoeatu is the weakest link no doubt.....The Steelers really needed upgrades at both OG spots but if Tony Hills is the answer at RG then I really like the offensive line going forward with just the need for one more OG......I wonder why Hills isn't getting a look at LG?......With him being so athletic you would think he would get a shot at LG also since he is the best pulling OG on the roster........

they ****ing love kemo there...pisses me off.

i seriously cant get enough of hills right now. i love being right (or at least partially in this case) lol....premature excitement maybe, but ive seen enough the last two games that its justified. week one starter at RG and wins it in a blowout. No one even looks close to being as good as him at RG

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    they ****ing love kemo there...pisses me off.

i seriously cant get enough of hills right now. i love being right (or at least partially in this case) lol....premature excitement maybe, but ive seen enough the last two games that its justified. week one starter at RG and wins it in a blowout. No one even looks close to being as good as him at RG
    Hills is the starter at RG come week 1 vs the Ravens no doubt.......Foster has looked terrible so far this preseason....He was never a long term solution at RG but was ok last year......Hills is an upgrade over Foster.....My boy Legursky isn't a 16 game starter in the NFL so I don't look for him to start at RG either.....

Hopefully in next years draft the Steelers look hard to find a replacement for Kemoeatu.....Unless Keith Williams turns out be a player........

Thread Information