Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tomlin surprises team with tough workout

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Tomlin surprises team with tough workout

The Steelers returned to their South Side practice facility Saturday for the final two weeks of training camp and were greeted with something that was familiar and unusual at the same time.

Mike Tomlin put his team through a 2 1/2-hour practice that was typical of what he ordered during the three weeks of training camp at St. Vincent College.
    It was something that caught the players off-guard.
    "A lot of guys mentally didn't think we were going to be doing that," receiver Mike Wallace said.

LaMarr Woodley doesn't remember having such a physical practice at the South Side facility in his four previous seasons.

"Nah, we didn't expect this," Woodley said. "It was a little different. We haven't had the OTAs and minicamps, so it was good for everybody including the young guys as well."

Tomlin said he wanted to make sure his team still realizes that they are in training camp mode, even though they have returned to their facility.
    "The point we are making to our football team is, even though we are back at the comforts of our facility, the team building hasn't stopped," Tomlin said.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I think it's good to get these guys some extra tough practices in right now, get them ready for the regular season and back into a regular practice regimen. With the new rules of the CBA limiting the amount practices you can have in pads, you have to be smart about how you work out your players.

I'm still interested to see how they handle the regular season practices and how much time in pads they will get during the week.

I LOVE Tomlin! I think that is awesome. I'm sure they were all feeling pretty good about themselves after that game w/ Philly (and they should be). Its almost like a quick reminder, "Hey, we gotta lot of work to do this year, lets not get complacent." Not saying any of the guys would really let a preseason game go to their heads, we got a veteran team but "eyez on the prize," Kind of a message not to lose focus even for a minute.

I don't think the new practicing rules are going to make any difference really, I'm only basing that off a lot of retired guys who are now on TV saying it isn't a big deal. All of them are saying that and dismissing it as a non-issue so quickly. I personally can't speak with any authority on that.

My Mood
    Addicted
    We all got on Tomlin for not running practices hard enough last season. Hopefully this is gonna be a regular occurrence.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    For that kind of money I'd work em till they pass out. Commended MT for a job well done.
    Last edited by RIVERS OF STEEL; 08-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Later in the year he put them back in pads more often, and the team admitted it was good for them. They thrive on contact and physicality, it helps keep them focused.

From BRC's DroidX of Awesomeness

My Mood
    Manic
    they should practice for 2 plus hrs everyday except the day before a game

Assistant Coach nuclearchihuahuas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    they should practice for 2 plus hrs everyday except the day before a game
    I absolutely agree! They looked great against the Eagles, but the Eagles were really bad and not playing together as a team. I'm glad MT didn't let them get complacent and full of themselves or start thinking the season is going to go like that preseason game
    :logospin:

Not sure why it would be such a surprise.

Quote Originally Posted by RIVERS OF STEEL View Post
    For that kind of money I'd work em till they pass out. Commended MT for a job well done.
    Tomlin did that in 2007, which led to a really fast start, but the tough training camp took it's toll late in the season when Steelers lost the majority of the games in December and lost the playoff game against Jacksonville.

The players do deserve a kick in the butt sometimes, not too much, but just enough to keep them aware that they can't take it easy.

Thread Information