Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can the Steelers afford to stick with Sepulveda

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Can the Steelers afford to stick with Sepulveda

Considering the knee problems that have plagued Punter Danny Sepulveda, can the Steelers really afford to stick with him another year? Even if they really want too, is it the best move for the team?

For his career, Sepulveda averages a long of 43.4 yds per punt, and net average of 37.9. In 2010, during the first 12 games his longest punt was 62 yds. His average long was 45.5 and a net average of 39.1

Danny finished 2010 ranked 7th in the league in punting for net yds. Even if you look at the 2010 top Punter in terms of net average, Mat McBriar of the Cowboys, his net average was 41.7 yds per punt with a long average of 47.9 yds.

Looking at those stats you can see that when DSep is healthy, he's a good punter. However the coaches have to wonder if they can keep him around for another year and risk having to look for a Punter midway through the season again. If you release him maybe you gain a few more yards per punt, but more importantly perhaps you are able to keep the same player all year long at that position.

I like Sepulveda a lot, he's a fan favorite and overall a good player. I would like to see him stick around but coaches may be on their last leg with him.

For the record, Jeremy Kapinos, who's also on the roster this preseason had a net average of 32.3 and long average of 41.1
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-17-2011 at 09:19 PM.

He's replaceable IMO...

My Mood
    Addicted
    I want to keep him. I'm sick of having awful punters.

anyone remember Mitch Berger? We won in spite of him. I thought Sep was a good pick in the 4th round and still think we need him. Our D is not quite as good as back then and we need the better field position. In the 1st preseason game he was $$$$$$. Like Troy, he just needs to stay healthy.
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

Keep him around. He's pretty good for a one legged kicker.

Quote Originally Posted by Farrior Fan View Post
    anyone remember Mitch Berger? We won in spite of him. I thought Sep was a good pick in the 4th round and still think we need him. Our D is not quite as good as back then and we need the better field position. In the 1st preseason game he was $$$$$$. Like Troy, he just needs to stay healthy.
    The Bergermeister was the reason we won the Super Bowl. His kicks were so awful that opponents had no idea where they were going and muffed them regularly.

Definately keep Sepulveda. If he gets hurt, sign Kapinos or some other mediocre punter.

My Mood
    Impatient
    No we cannot afford to take another chance on Sepulveda. I am tired of having crappy kickers in the playoffs, when it really matters. Find someone good right now and keep them, then we can sign D-Sep if they go down.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    No we cannot afford to take another chance on Sepulveda. I am tired of having crappy kickers in the playoffs, when it really matters. Find someone good right now and keep them, then we can sign D-Sep if they go down.
    There is nobody good out there. The best available is Sepulveda. Gotta roll the dice with him.

Heard a radio interview with him other day,basically said they did the surgery different on him this time around. His leg seems to like to hyper extend,so when they sewed him up this time they sewed to the extended position...in theory this should keep the knee together. He says it feels stronger and he can do squats that he could not do after the last surgery. Hopefully they are right and it works this time.

Seeing as to what the other options are it would not make sense to get rid of him now, worse case scenario they sign a mediocre punter if he goes down again.

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Why not keep him until he gets hurt? He's better than any other punter in Free Agency. If he gets hurt, sign a new punter. It's not like a Quarterback or any other position where a new punter would have to come in and learn the system lol.

Thread Information