Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers to work out CB Macho Harris. Update: Signs deal on 8/17 to join Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick

Steelers to work out CB Macho Harris. Update: Signs deal on 8/17 to join Steelers

Update, as of this evening, the Steelers are going to work him out but he has not signed yet as originally thought. - BRC
    What u guys think?

Out of Va Tech, did sign with the Redskins and was later released.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCQwDW66yCY[/media]
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-16-2011 at 07:46 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Draft info from 2009

Pros: Harris is a natural football player and is solid at most aspects of the game. He has great instincts and awareness on the field; a solid all-around corner that loves to make big hits on receivers and running backs. He looks extremely comfortable in zone and reads the quarterback very well. Even though he does not have great acceleration, Harris shows big-time playing making ability with the ball in his hands. He is elusive and makes quick, fluid cuts with great vision. He is a dangerous return man that has experience playing wide receiver.

Cons: He lacks the open field speed scouts love corners to have. He can be overly aggressive both in coverage and tackling. Will jump short routes he shouldn’t, and often goes for the knock out hit instead of the sure tackle. Definitely needs to play in a zone coverage scheme. He could end up being moved to free safety due to his lack of speed and quickness in coverage.
    Scouts Take: Harris is a gifted playmaker, racking up 15 interceptions over the last three years at Virginia Tech. He plays with the swagger and knowledge NFL teams love defensive backs to have, and opposing teams fear. Despite his lack of speed, the former Hokie is comfortable with the ball in his hands and will at least get a shot as a returner—a potentially dynamic playmaker. If he is put in the right defensive scheme, he could develop into a star corner for his NFL team. If he struggles at corner, he has the ability to move to free safety and could be a ball-hawk. Harris has second-round ability, but could fall to later rounds because of his lack of measurables. The team that drafts him will have some work to do and decisions to make, but they will be getting one of the best all-around defensive backs in this draft.

Good player, always liked him and thought he could play CB for us that year....he was a good player in philly just too small for FS for what they were trying to do (replace dawkins)

Waterboy
    The Steelers have 4 CBs that are inactive for the Thursday game. They need a body at corner. While Macho Harris ran sub-4.5 at his pro day, his combine time was horrible (4.61-4.68). He lacks the ability to run with NFL WRs in deep coverage. He may find a home as a nickel guy with safety help over the top.

He is not physical enough to play safety. For the Eagles, he was timid when supporting the run and not physical when striking WRs. He missed too many plays.

Will he suit up Thursday??
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by TheMadCupcake View Post
    The Steelers have 4 CBs that are inactive for the Thursday game. They need a body at corner. While Macho Harris ran sub-4.5 at his pro day, his combine time was horrible (4.61-4.68). He lacks the ability to run with NFL WRs in deep coverage. He may find a home as a nickel guy with safety help over the top.

He is not physical enough to play safety. For the Eagles, he was timid when supporting the run and not physical when striking WRs. He missed too many plays.
    hes actualyl a pretty physical little guy and he could definitely play in lebeaus zone scheme as a CB.

and that 40 time is just more proof that va tech has the fastest track in the world...cough worilds

My Mood
    Manic
    The question is who will be cut . The Steelers are going to break camp in a day or two so who gets cut and who stays .
    Ike Taylor
    Bryant McFadden
    William Gay
    Keenan Lewis
    Crezdon Butler
    Curtis Brown
    Cortez Allen
    Niles Brinkley
    Donovan Warren
    Macho Harris
    10 Corners for five spots

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    No idea if he'll suit up yet on Thursday. Considering he has no idea how the Steelers defense works I would suspect not but I'd figure he's going to play the 3rd and 4th games and see how things go.

If both Allen and Butler can get healthy here soon, Macho might not even make it on the roster that long.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    The question is who will be cut . The Steelers are going to break camp in a day or two so who gets cut and who stays .
    Ike Taylor
    Bryant McFadden
    William Gay
    Keenan Lewis
    Crezdon Butler
    Curtis Brown
    Cortez Allen
    Niles Brinkley
    Donovan Warren
    Macho Harris
    10 Corners for five spots
    Well, they carried 9 LBs last season and will probably retain the normal 8 this season, so they could carry 6 CBs. I think they will. My guess would be Ike, McFadden, Gay, Butler, Brown, and Allen.

The Skins WRs turned Lewis every which way but loose. They had Warren scrambling around as well, actually getting their backs turned. Neither looked good in zone. Butler played better than both. Do you really spend two picks on rookies to cut them and keep a struggling Keenan Lewis? I don't. So, after Lewis, Brinkley, Warren, and Harris are mere placeholders now with one probably hitting the practice squad.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ike, Brown, Butler will all make the team........I think McFadden will also but you never know........I think the other spot will come down to Gay or Allen.......

Thread Information