Thread: Steve McClendon, Chris Hoke, or Anthony Gray

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steve McClendon, Chris Hoke, or Anthony Gray

We all know the big snack's job is secure, but the competition for his backup is pretty tight this year. In the past it was a foregone conclusion that Hoke would be backing up Hampton. With good reason too, Hoke is a solid player and does what he's asked to every game. He shows up and plays hard, doesn't stir the pot, and is a good teammate.

This year though, McClendon is having a real good camp and so is Anthony Gray.

Gray had 2 tackles vs. the Redskins, but overall I was watching him and he's is just a monster when you see him on the field. 6' 317 lbs, and strong as an ox. I believe they said he's one of the strongest guys on the roster right now, and that's saying something.

Don't sleep on either of these guys to make the roster. There's only 3 backup spots usually available behind Keisel, Hampton, and Smith and we know that Hood and Heyward will take up 2 of them. I'm not saying it's going to happen but don't be surprised Hoke is the odd one out.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-14-2011 at 05:40 PM.

My Mood
    Manic
    I am a fan of A. Gray he was on my players to watch list . The only thing working against him is time Hoke knows all the calls i'd like to see more youth at back-up

Deep in Enemy Territory 70 miles North of Bungleland

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Don't sleep on either of these guys to make the roster. There's only 3 backup spots usually available behind Keisel, Hampton, and Smith and we know that Hood and Heyward will take up 2 of them. I'm not saying it's going to happen but don't be surprised Hoke is the odd one out.
    I'm a fan of Hoke, but the Steelers really need to be preparing for Big Snack's replacement.... NOW.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Hampton said last year before the super bowl that he knows he doesn't have much time left. He can't play the full game like he used too. Within 1-2 years at the most they'll need to have a new guy ready to step in. Hoke is entering his 10th year as well so he's not the long term answer. Perhaps it's Gray. If he shows enough in camp they could bring him in to be the eventual replacement to Casey.

Rookie Free Agent
    [QUOTE=Katmandu;431892]I'm a fan of Hoke, but the Steelers really need to be preparing for Big Snack's replacement....

I'm a fan of Hoke, but the Steelers really need to be preparing for Big Snack's replacement.... NOW.

I think the Steelers have carried 7DL before. This could be the case this year. Gray very likely will force this situation.

anthony gray looks the part, thats for damn sure.

hoke is solid but unspectacular. I think id rather keep gray at see what hes got, have him as a 3rd NT behind casey and hood as his primary backup

I also like Gray, but the Steelers will keep Hoke. If something happens to Hampton, I wouldn't want to see the run defense with a undrafted rookie,despite what he did in the three weeks of training camp.

But the Steelers could have one less LB, CB, or OL and keep both, because if not they will have to address the NT next year.

Thread Information