Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Isaac Redman looked strong as feature back

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Isaac Redman looked strong as feature back

Rashard Mendenhall didn't play long in the preseason opener vs the Redskins, as we figured would be the case. Redman though was in the game much longer and got some good work in. He had 5 rushes for 42 yds and and scored the Steelers only points of the game.

In a preseason game you expect an experienced runner to have some success, but in Redman's case he continues to show he has what it takes to be the primary backup and unseat Mewelde as the main reserve for Rashard.

Last year Moore came in regularly to give Mendenhall a rest, but I think that role should be moved over to Redman right now. He's a good battering ram type runner but also has good balance and some decent feet. He kind of reminds of you Bettis in his running style; a tough, run you over type of back that can also dance out of the grasp of a defender.

No, I'm not saying Redman is Bettis but their styles are similar.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I would like to see Redman get a lot more carries. He runs with more determination than Mendenhall and doesn't fall at first contact. Before everyone has a fit ,I'm not condemning Rashard I just would to see more of Isaac?

The ideal situation would be to have them both in the backfield at the same time not every snap but several times a game.

Pretty hard to do when your entire game plan is 4 and 5 wide sets.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Redman reminds me of Peyton Hillis the more I see him.

Starter
    tomlin is just unique in that he sees value in memo where no other DC in the league seems to be able to ..

redman can do a couple things above average, but we really need a more explosive option to complement mendy ..

His story is so similar to Willy Parker's story. They just got better with each opportunity and always seemed to rise to the occasion when given a chance. I would love to see this guy get more carries, and pound the ball old fashion Steelers style. Keep the D fresh and mean. Ben will get plenty of chances but I LOVE controlling the clock. Sadly we never had a QB in the 90's, but the ball control game worked so well. Remember when a 10 point lead at the half was almost a done deal?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think they really know what Redman can do yet. They've only seen him in short yardage situations and occasionally more in preseason. You can't really split the carries 50-50 between 2 backs in a Steelers system, but allowing to take over more of the spot duties that Moore has would be ideal.

Moore will still be your 3rd down back, but hand over more of the other work to Redman.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow SteelDad On Twitter
    I really wasn't sure if Redman could be a feature back should Mendy have an injury, but Friday nite finally convinced me otherwise. He was creating room for himself when the hole wasn't there and hitting holes when they were.

The best way our offense can protect Ben in the passing game is to have a legitimate threat in the running game from more than just Mendy. Teams will have to honor Redman now.

http://steeleraddicts.podomatic.com/
    Coming to you live from the Fortress of Steelertude!

My Mood
    Addicted
    yes, i've been raving about redman since I saw him in preseason 2 yrs. ago...the man is legit (from what he's proven so far), and he keeps his legs churning all the way to the ground...I love MeMo, but with the talent redman is showing, I think I like him over MeMo, ESP in short yardage...MeMo just doesn't have the strength/build to push through guys when we need 2-3 yds

I really like Redman. No, he isn't Chris Johnson, but he tries hard every time he gets the ball, something you have to love in a backup. At this point, I think Redman has to be the #2/short yardage back; he's consistent and effective.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The carries shouldn't be split 50-50, but definitely somewhere along the lines of 75-25. Pretty much all of that 25% that Redman has the ball should be for the 3rd & 3s, because he always seems to get it done. I don't know what the point is of having Mendenhall running some crazy play to try to pick up 3 yards when Redman has proven time and time again that he can just bash into the pile and do it.

Thread Information