Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers starters on defense looked sloppy at best

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers starters on defense looked sloppy at best

Yeah I know it's the preseason, and I know that on defense Harrison, Polamalu, and McFadden were out. Also Ike Taylor left with a thumb injury and Clark left with a neck stinger. And the play vanilla defense in the preseason anyway.

Having said that though, they made Grossman look like Peyton Manning. They continuously got torched in the secondary and overall there was very little pentration by the front 7. They did tighten up and force teh FG try in the 1st quarter but still the Skins started on their own 1 and drove down to about their 20 on big play after big play.

Worilds looked completely lost out there tonight. He got no penetration at all and just got eaten up by the blockers in front of him.

Gay got burnt 2 or 3 times, although that's nothing new.

Big scare though when Mundy and Timmons collided on the Tackle and both went down for a minute. After that the starters promptly came out.

It was obvious that Lebeau was not happy with the performance of his starters, leaving them in part way into the 2nd quarter.

Gay needs to be let go now, not later. Not one db made a play.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I honestly was not expecting anything more from the defense than sloppy play, especially the defensive backs. Our starters can barely cover the field, so yeah, there's no way that the 2nd and 3rd stringers could have done any better.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Gay needs to be let go now, not later. Not one db made a play.
    OMG he was F'in horrible and I said all along he would be!!! The entire D looked like sh*t against the REDSKINS of all teams..they are a crap team who played their first string against the entire first quarter!!! Hope this isnt' what we are gonna see the entire season...Not happy!

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I was expecting them to be rusty, we all were. However when Rex Grossman makes you look silly then maybe you need to focus alittle more. They were getting blown off the ball, and the secondary left gaping holes all over the place.

Gay was horrible as usual, good grief!!!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    I was expecting them to be rusty, we all were. However when Rex Grossman makes you look silly then maybe you need to focus alittle more. They were getting blown off the ball, and the secondary left gaping holes all over the place.

Gay was horrible as usual, good grief!!!
    Matt as I knew he would be...Im so pissed they resigned him in the first place..I mean SB should have showed them..he is not suppose to be here! they better be making changes or our season is screwed! I know it's only preseason but for the Love of God we looked bad!!!

Not one DB stepped up tonight.

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    Not one DB stepped up tonight.
    Not one..I understand it's pre season but please show me something!!! Anyone have a pulse out there tonight????

Preseason Game 1 quick hitters
    By Dagger, on August 12th, 2011

*Total yards indicate that the Steelers got their butts kicked….452 yards to 186. When one team’s starting QB throws 3 passes and the other teams starting QB throws 26 passes that is to be expected.

*What wasn’t expected (well, actually maybe it was) is the abomination that was the Steelers secondary. Just horrendous.

*Giving up a 65% completion rate is what you do when you face Brady, Brees, Manning, or Rogers. Our reserves allowed the Redskins anemic offense to throw the ball on them like it was a 7-on-7 drill. Grossman’s 109.0 QB Rating leads all preseason QBs.

*Please don’t be an omen: first defensive snap of the season and William Gay gets roasted by Santana Moss.

*Looks like Sepulveda is feeling fine after knee surgery. Good, we need him.

*Couldn’t judge much of the OL, WR, or RBs because we never had the ball. Time of possession was 40 minutes for the Skins and 20 minutes for the Steelers.

*The new kickoff rule is god awful. 9 times out of 10 it’s an automatic touchback. The NFL needs to change this thing ASAP, it’s really a buzzkill when you’re watching the game and the kickoff/kick return units are out there loafing; expecting the ball to be kicked off through the uprights and into the bleachers. Used to be an exciting part of the game, now, not so much.

*Antonio Brown is gearing up for a great season. We knew he was good based on what we saw last year but he looks to be a special player.

*How did you like seeing Big Ben injury his throwing hand on his first pass? A few plays later he gets hit in the hip/thigh and limps off. Then Ike Taylor breaks his thumb. Then Timmons almost breaks his neck. Sheesh, just please avoid injuries at all costs this August.

*John Clay and Jonathan Dwyer did jack squat.

*With no more kickoffs or kick returns, the value of a guy like Arnaz Battle goes way down. No need for a special teams “ace” when there aren’t many ST plays anymore. Couple that with the fact that he had 2 or 3 drops tonight and he could be out of a job in a few weeks.

*Part of the Steelers struggles on offense can be blamed on the Redskins defensive scheme. How many Cornerback and Safety blitzes did we see from them tonight? You never see that in the preseason; Washington really wanted to win this game.

*I liked what I saw from Cameron Heyward.

*The lack of RB depth basically guarantees Mewelde Moore makes the team, which is fine, but no way on earth he should see more playing time than Redman.

*TEs had no catches tonight. Kind of weird?

*Dennis Dixon looked real bad. I’m not sure if it was just an off-night or what, he looked like a rookie. I can see the Steelers management laughing to themselves in a luxury box high above Fedex Field saying “this guys wants a trade so he can go start somewhere? hahhahahaaaaa”

*Overall, one of the worst displays I’ve ever seen from a Steeler team during the preseason. They were just totally flat. Getting manhandled in every facet of the game is embarrassing. Having said that, these games are meaningless; Washington is going to finish under .500 and the Steelers are going on a deep playoff run.

*Listening to the Redskins telecast, the Redskins might be getting championship rings after tonight’s performance.

*Washington had four drives of over 69 yards. Steelers had four drives with under 8 total yards gained.

*It’s only preseason but I can’t really see much positive to take away from the game. Antonio Brown and Isaac Redman. That about it?

*How much does Philly wan’t for Asante Samuel? Give it to ‘em.

http://www.postgameheroes.com/?p=10664
    Last edited by DanRooney; 08-12-2011 at 11:24 PM.

Nice write up man..

Thread Information