Thread: Sophomore slump a possibility for young Steelers stars?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Sophomore slump a possibility for young Steelers stars?

We've seen the dreaded sophomore slump many times in the past, recently Santonio Holmes went through it some when he was still here.

The Steelers have some super young talent heading into their second year, key players at very important positions. Manny Sanders, Antonio Brown, Maurkice Pouncey being the big 3 that come to mind. These 3 guys were very important the teams success in 2010. You hope they'll be able to power through their 2nd year and take some real big steps towards improving their game.

Pouncey was just unbelievably impressive last year, I don't think we have anything to worry about with him this year. He's got pro bowler written all over him for a long time to come. Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders, I hope they are able to contribute at a high level. Sanders has the foot injury that has him sidelined right now, we just have to hope it doesn't linger on all year. Brown took big steps in the return game and making a name for himself with big play circus catches.

Wallace, in his 2nd year, took his game to a whole new level.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    We've seen the dreaded sophomore slump many times in the past, recently Santonio Holmes went through it some when he was still here.

The Steelers have some super young talent heading into their second year, key players at very important positions. Manny Sanders, Antonio Brown, Maurkice Pouncey being the big 3 that come to mind. These 3 guys were very important the teams success in 2010. You hope they'll be able to power through their 2nd year and take some real big steps towards improving their game.

Pouncey was just unbelievably impressive last year, I don't think we have anything to worry about with him this year. He's got pro bowler written all over him for a long time to come. Antonio Brown and Manny Sanders, I hope they are able to contribute at a high level. Sanders has the foot injury that has him sidelined right now, we just have to hope it doesn't linger on all year. Brown took big steps in the return game and making a name for himself with big play circus catches.

Wallace, in his 2nd year, took his game to a whole new level.
    Sirius NFL radio guys were at Latrobe tonight. They interviewed Antonio Brown and kept talking about him and how good he looked in practice. I think they talked about him more than any other player. Also said Ben looked terrific. It was fun to listen to them - made me want to be there.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The good thing is that everyone of the players on the Steelers that are entering their second year, they seem to be very focused, determined, and have a positive outlook. They are studying hard in camp, they worked out in the offseason, they're staying on the field (except for Sanders who is hurt), and they are surrounded by good veteran leadership.

You can't ever predict what might happen but those guys have all the tools to be successful, they just have to go out and do it.

Sophomore slump really isn't something that occurs in the NFL. It's usually the rookie wall that hits players in their rookie year having to play a much longer and more physical season than they did in college.

Ben had a pretty good Sophomore year, winning the Superbowl and all.

My Mood
    saints-hater
    I don't see any slump happening with the players mentioned. In their rookie season, all 3 of them played a huge roll in our Superbowl run as you said. They only grew more reliable as the season progressed. These guys could be 3 of our top players this season, and in just their 2nd year. Seeing as Pouncey missed the Superbowl, I expect him to come back and pick up where he left off, treating every game like a playoff game. And I like Sanders, but between the 2 of them, Brown is our top prospect. (imo) Look for him to have a big year
    Last edited by Steel Trap86; 08-07-2011 at 09:35 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    All 3 of those players powered through the "rookie wall" too. Each of them got better as the year went on, playing their best football by the time the playoffs came around.

It's something to watch though, see how these guys transition into a more prominent role.

Thread Information