Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New rules for the 2011 NFL Season

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

New rules for the 2011 NFL Season

With the end of the lockout and with a new collective bargaining agreement in place, wholesale change has been implemented in the NFL. But aside from the contentious issues that were at the center of the lockout for several months, changes have been made to the NFL rulebook that will alter the way the game is played in an effort to, in the eyes of league officials, help protect the players.

The NFL has expanded its rules to prevent hits above the shoulders of "defenseless players" from defenders using the crown of their helmet, forearm, shoulder, or facemask. The league and its officials have changed what constitutes a defenseless player, extending the scope from just wide receivers to all players.

"Basically, what they're trying to do is take the helmet out of all hits, especially if you launch," NFL side judge Rick Patterson said. "They do not want any contact with a defenseless player anywhere, especially with a kicker, quarterback and the punter. They do not want the defender using a helmet as a weapon on a block." While some of the rules protecting players and banning hits with the helmet were in place before the changes, defenseless players now include the following -- players throwing a pass, a runner whose forward progress has been stopped by a tackler, players completing a catch without having time to avoid contact, kickers or punters during a kick or a return, a quarterback on a change of possession, and a player who receives a blindside block.

In an attempt to limit "launching," a 15-yard penalty will be enforced on any defender who leaves both feet before contact to spring forward into an opponent and delivering a blow using any part of his helmet.

Perhaps, the most controversial rule change, at least for the Steelers, is the one that allows the NFL to punish teams if their players commit multiple flagrant hits that result in fines, a rule that many have dubbed "the Pittsburgh Steelers Rule." Upon hearing the news of the rule changes in May, Steelers linebacker James Harrison tweeted, "I'm absolutely sure now after this last rule change that the people making the rules at the NFL are idiots."

Last season, Harrison was at the center of a debate over the nature of violent hits in the NFL. He was fined a total of $100,000 by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell, including a $75,000 fine for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Cleveland Browns wide receiver Mohamed Massaquoi.

Patterson stressed that the new regulations are in place to ensure the welfare of the players, not to single out individual teams and players. "I'm not sure about the targeting question, so I don't know," he said. "I'm assuming [the Steelers] are just like any other team -- they're interested in safety and tackling the correct way and changing as the game changes."

Many of the other notable rule changes for the 2011 season center around kickoffs and replay. Kickoffs will be moved forward from the 30-yard line to the 35-yard line, while coverage teams are limited to a 5-yard running start before the kicker makes contact with the ball as opposed to the 10- to 15-yard start they used to get. Additionally, booth replay will be used to review all scoring plays.

While the new measures surrounding illegal hits and defenseless players have not been met with universal praise or acceptance around the NFL, officials insist that the amendments are necessary to protect players in a rapidly evolving game.
    "The one thing I would say is our game is changing, players are changing, time is changing, and I think the league feels like they have to change with the times," Patterson said. "Whatever they implement, we'll go through with that.

From the PG
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-06-2011 at 08:46 AM.

defenseless players now include the following -- players throwing a pass, a runner whose forward progress has been stopped by a tackler, players completing a catch without having time to avoid contact, kickers or punters during a kick or a return, a quarterback on a change of possession, and a player who receives a blindside block.

What a joke, this is going to be an interesting season

My Mood
    Mellow
    i've noticed they haven't changed the rule of holding, which still allows opposing tackles to put our rushing LB's in a sleeper hold....or the multiple late hits on ben, hits to ben's head, etc...

i would love to see the entire league do a 2 hand touch play on the first play of the first game. just to send a message.
    Last edited by Raleigh Steel; 08-06-2011 at 09:31 AM.
    "Today, I'm officially retiring a Pittsburgh Steeler. And as much as I will miss football, my teammates, coaches and everything about the game, I don't want to play it in any other uniform. The black and gold runs deep in me, and I will remain a Steeler for life."--Hines Ward

2nd String
    This is maddening as a fan, I can't imagine what the players feel like.

I have echoed this before, there is zero culpability for the officials. They are even unsure of the rules as evidenced last year; many times there was no call whatsoever, even some resulting in injuries, and yet players would get fined after the fact.

Before players make a tackle they will have to take that split second to stop and contemplate the legality of a hit.This will be a game changer in that defensive hesitation could result in an offense player getting that split second they need to break away from a potential tackle.

Is there any language regarding a player who commits to a seemingly legal tackle but due to the dynamics of the play (an evasive move by the ball carrier, being jostled around, etc.) and ends up in a situation that seems like an illegal hit?

What sucks about the rules is that once they are in place, they will not be removed by the subsequent commissioner.

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    All a player has to do to avoid the rules violations is just fall down on the ground and wait for the ref to blow his whistle 3 times signaling resumation of play. It would look like this. Immediately after the runner or ball carrier,s forward progress is stopped (indicated by a ref whistle twice) every player on the field of play will immediately fall to the ground where he stands at the two whistle warning and wait for the continuance of play indicated by three whistle blows by the ref. Is that perfectly clear. In other words, "the ref blows". Or, goodbye defense.
    Last edited by RIVERS OF STEEL; 08-06-2011 at 09:55 AM.

And their fans.

My Mood
    Addicted
    All this means more opportunities for offensive players, which equals more scoring, which will eventually equal more emphasis on offense, and less on defense. Pretty much exactly what the NFL wants.

Duke of 531
    this is really starting to get silly....and wouldn't you hit someone harder if you stayed on your feet and drove through them using the ground as an anchor to put your entire body weight into the hit, like a boxer planting his feet to deliver a punch....i don't get the launching thing it would seem you would be losing energy the second you left your feet...but who know perhaps the laws of physics are relative...i think the game we all love may be in serious trouble in the near future

Quote Originally Posted by steelchamp204 View Post
    defenseless players now include the following -- players throwing a pass, a runner whose forward progress has been stopped by a tackler, players completing a catch without having time to avoid contact, kickers or punters during a kick or a return, a quarterback on a change of possession, and a player who receives a blindside block.

What a joke, this is going to be an interesting season
    Ridiculous. Why even have pass rushers? The way this league is headed all game will be like the pro bowl. Pass rushers will stand there counting to 5 Mississippi before they are allowed to rush the qb and pull her tampon string to record a sack.........

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MattyVfromCT; 08-06-2011 at 11:02 AM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by steelersbabex25 View Post
    All this means more opportunities for offensive players, which equals more scoring, which will eventually equal more emphasis on offense, and less on defense. Pretty much exactly what the NFL wants.
    Pretty much, they don't want any defense, all they want to see is Arena league type scoring. If they could have a 53-47 score at the end of every game each week they'd be happy. It's disgusting! Football can no longer be a violent sport, just put them in some shorts and tshirt and let them play Goodell, atleast that way maybe they wouldn't sweat as much on the field too...can't have the multi million dollar players not getting a bruise or anything!

Assistant Coach RIVERS OF STEEL's Avatar
    My Mood
    Where
    The money finally got in the way.

And their fans.

Thread Information