Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of outside Free Agency signings so far by Steelers

Bookmark and Share

Lack of outside Free Agency signings so far by Steelers

May be the smartest move made by any club this offseason.

Think about it, the guys they've kept and brought back know the system and with NO offseason OTA's and a soft TC it would make it tough for a new guy to get completely settled until mid season.

Other teams making all these moves will struggle to find chemistry out of the gate..

This isn't the year to go crazy making changes!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Very valid point, the Steelers traditionally like to bring back their own as often as possible as it is but this year having a veteran team together is going to be an advantage. Everybody knows each other but there's enough youth that will be infused at some key positions to help the team continue to grow and not just get old and out of date.

It's a system that has served them well for decades, so why mess with success? I know we all sometimes wish the Steelers would make some huge free agency splash by signing a big time player but to quote The Replacements, "that just wouldn't be our style"

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    May be the smartest move made by any club this offseason.

Think about it, the guys they've kept and brought back know the system and with NO offseason OTA's and a soft TC it would make it tough for a new guy to get completely settled until mid season.

Other teams making all these moves will struggle to find chemistry out of the gate..

This isn't the year to go crazy making changes!!
    hopefully the same logic was used keeping arians one more year..

--- Added 8/3/2011 at 08:50 AM ---

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Very valid point, the Steelers traditionally like to bring back their own as often as possible as it is but this year having a veteran team together is going to be an advantage. Everybody knows each other but there's enough youth that will be infused at some key positions to help the team continue to grow and not just get old and out of date.

It's a system that has served them well for decades, so why mess with success? I know we all sometimes wish the Steelers would make some huge free agency splash by signing a big time player but to quote The Replacements, "that just wouldn't be our style"
    but geez.... sometimes when there is a gaping hole like at CB and now maybe LT you need to pull the trigger... just sayin..

i think we will be alot tougher than last year. hopefully sly gets more time and farrior sits a bit more. we need to upgrade the speed of our blitzing ILB's

My Mood
    Chatty
    Im pretty ok with not shopping too much in the FA market IF and I say IF Tomlin and LeBeau are really confident about the rookie CBs they acquired....im not really happy about the resigning of Willie Gay but I'm hoping one of the 2 new CBs are brilliant and we don't need Gay..otherwise the lack of not shopping for a CB in the FA is the only that would would upset me. I think we are good for the most part...

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

No comment on BA! lol

I've heard the coaches are pretty impressed with some of the young DB's so maybe it isn't as glaring as we think...

My Mood
    Impatient
    I think this was a great move and bringing back Gay as an insurance policy was a good idea too. If Butler and the rookies, or Lewis for that matter, show that they can play, Gay will be either the dime back or cut. Sometimes I wish we would sign some big names, but in reality, this isnt the year for it. In fact, I will go on record and say that even with all their free agents, Philly will not make the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I think this was a great move and bringing back Gay as an insurance policy was a good idea too. If Butler and the rookies, or Lewis for that matter, show that they can play, Gay will be either the dime back or cut. Sometimes I wish we would sign some big names, but in reality, this isnt the year for it. In fact, I will go on record and say that even with all their free agents, Philly will not make the Super Bowl.
    I read this AM that the remaining FA's all want to go to Philly, lol I hope they fall hard!

My Mood
    Chatty
    Quote Originally Posted by cmerrifield View Post
    I don't feel that bringing in big names is necessarily the way to go..looking in the past alot of times it backfires so i'm glad the Steelers don't do that. I love that we bring a young and talented unknown in and groom him....Just disappointed in Gay...at bit.

Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    I read this AM that the remaining FA's all want to go to Philly, lol I hope they fall hard!
    if the first 8 games go bad in philly, the wheels will come off fast.. no team chemistry.. just a lot of big egos...

the steelers could afford one big FA.. that wouldnt ruin the team chemistry here....

there are a few LT's out there. but the list is dwindling.

My Mood
    Chatty
    I was going to say if Sanders injury was worse or if there is a chance he may have issues down the road during the season I would bring in Steve Smith fromthe Giants...

Thread Information