Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Ziggy Hood get the start over Aaron Smith?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Should Ziggy Hood get the start over Aaron Smith?

Blasphemy!! Not start Aaron Smith, are you kidding me??? Now, I'm one of the biggest Smith supporters around, he's been one of my favorite players since he came to the team. He was the unsung hero of the 34 defense for years, the most underrated lineman in the league. When he is on his game, he can take on any lineman in the league and hold his ground or force the opponent to do what he wants.

However, with the arm injuries that have plagued big ole #91 over the last few years, it may be time to give way to Ziggy "it's all good in the" Hood. I don't think anyone would be ready to say that Hood is now better than Smith, but starting Evander would have it's advantages. Not only would it give him experience and increase his growth into what the Steelers envision him to be, but also it will give Smith a chance to stay healthy longer.

With Nick Eason gone the Steelers will be relying on 1st round Cam Heyward to make an impact in the rotation behind Brett Keisel. Since none of us want too see Smith go down again and even though there's no real way to prevent it, perhaps giving Hood the start and spelling him with Smith wouldn't be that bad of an idea. Maybe you get Aaron healthy for the whole year, or maybe he just lasts until later in the year. Either way the more you have him available, the better off the DL will be.

Or at the very least start Smith but rotate in Hood much more often.

i really think the starters are smith/hampton/keisel still

but i also think smith plays about 1/3 of what a starter would usually play to keep him fresh and in the rotation. i think evander plays a ton in between spelling smith, but especially hampton cause i do really expect to see him lined up at nose very often, esepcially if smith is healthy. hopefully heyward is a quick study that way everyone can stay fresh

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    In the end you're probably right, the original 3 will be back starting this year. They would be absolutely out of their minds though to not limit Smith's reps especially early on. There's no reason to push him and limit the time that Hood gets on the field. Smith has been around for a long time and has nothing to prove, but lets face it having him on the sidelines doesn't help their situation.

The good thing with Hood being the main starter, the Steelers did get to the Super Bowl last year. Ziggy wasn't the reason they got there of course, but he improved his game greatly over the year and he was as disruptive force. They know he's capable of getting the job done. So perhaps in the case of Smith, keeping around healthy longer with less reps is the more efficient way to go about it.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I think Hood is going to receive a ton of playing if he starts or not.......Cam Heyward is a first round beast but still a rookie so Hood is the youngest DL on the roster who really knows the Steelers defense.......I think we will see Hood lineup at all three spots along the DL at times if he doesn't start to give blows to the old men....lol

I would like to see them split time. At this point, Smith doesn't seem to have the durability to play a full season and Hood is still developing.

i would start Hood and have Smith come of the bench. Atleast Smith should be able to last the whole season,

Quote Originally Posted by greg1964 View Post
    i would start Hood and have Smith come of the bench. Atleast Smith should be able to last the whole season,
    Personally, I think they should cut Smith. But if not, start Hood and rotate Smith in to limit the possibility of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    Personally, I think they should cut Smith. But if not, start Hood and rotate Smith in to limit the possibility of injury.
    cutting smith is a little extreme due to lack of depth and the fact that when he plays hes still an absoulte monster.

they should redo his 6.1 mil salary though....id personally cut farrior and ward before id cut smith

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    cutting smith is a little extreme due to lack of depth and the fact that when he plays hes still an absoulte monster.

they should redo his 6.1 mil salary though....id personally cut farrior and ward before id cut smith
    I don't think depth is that much of an issue. I'm sure that there are FAs or undrafted FAs who can fill that back-up role. But having said that, i expect them to re-do his salary if they decide to keep him.

I would've cut Farrior last year and Ward would be gone this year.

Quote Originally Posted by harpo View Post
    I don't think depth is that much of an issue. I'm sure that there are FAs or undrafted FAs who can fill that back-up role. But having said that, i expect them to re-do his salary if they decide to keep him.

I would've cut Farrior last year and Ward would be gone this year.
    Aaron Smith hating

Thread Information