Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mewelde Moore agrees to new deal to return to Steelers

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Mewelde Moore agrees to new deal to return to Steelers

The Steelers have come to an agreement with veteran free agent running back Mewelde Moore.

The 5-11, 209-pounder spent the past three years with the Steelers, predominately as a third-down back.

Moore had 33 carries for 99 yards a season ago and 26 catches for 205 yards.
    The Steelers were in need of a third-down back. The role was filled during today's first day of full padded practice by rookie Baron Batch.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Just as we pretty much suspected, Memo will be back with the Steelers. I think it's a safe bet though that his roster spot is far from locked up. Still though he's a wily veteran and a tough player, excellent on 3rd down and pass protection. He won't give up his roster spot easily.

Is this team afraid to stray from with in?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I don't think so, most teams are making similar moves. Right now with the training camp rosters at 90 instead of the usual 80 in the past they are bringing in as many as they can. The more competition the better chance you have of finding the best guys when the season starts.

The people they've signed recently, guys like Moore and Sepulveda, are being brought back to compete. Given the draft picks we have and the young talent ready to step up there will be big changes likely coming at some key positions once preseason is over. Perhaps not so much with the main veterans but positions like Punter, Kicker, NB, 3rd down back could very well have new faces this year.

My Mood
    Pimp
    Ugh...one player I did not want to see return...

Memo was an excellent addition early on and had a hell of a year in 2008, but last year was pretty poor. Hopefully he can turn it around.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Baron Batch is going to give him a run for his money. Batch has youth on his side and a lot of talent. I look for this to be a real good battle to watch in camp. Memo knows what he needs to do to secure his job and he did make some important plays for us last year, however the young kid will be a tough obstacle to overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Baron Batch is going to give him a run for his money. Batch has youth on his side and a lot of talent. I look for this to be a real good battle to watch in camp. Memo knows what he needs to do to secure his job and he did make some important plays for us last year, however the young kid will be a tough obstacle to overcome.
    Its the Steelers. Memo automatically gets a spot because he is a veteran.

I'm probably more upset by this than anything else the steelers have done since FA started...that includes Max Starks, Plax, Willie Gay, Flozell, etc... 2008 he was serviceable, '09 he declined, '10 he was borderline pathetic. He's slow and his blocking is ugly. Mendenhall can be an every down back with Redman spelling him and Batch spelling him on a few 3rd downs. I'd honestly take Baron Batch over him right now to spell Mendy every once in a while on 3rd down. Obviously that's just my opinion.

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    this is just insurance...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Thread Information