Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lack of experienced depth at Nose Tackle**Update 8/1 Chris Hoke signs 1 yr. deal

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Manic

Lack of experienced depth at Nose Tackle**Update 8/1 Chris Hoke signs 1 yr. deal

Hoke is gone so now Casey Hampton's back up is Mc'lendon after that is Anthony Grey and Miguel Chavis both of which aren't guaranteed a roster spot . Plus we are lucky if Hamp plays 1/3 of the snaps in the game this could be a glaring weakness in our defense this season.

NT is and has been a glaring need. I really wish we still had Al Woods.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Chris Hoke did not sign with another team yet, but he has not been brought back to this point. Right now the only backup available at NT is Steve McClendon. As we talked about before, it is an option to have Ziggy Hood play NT however personally I want him out on the end where he can rush the passer more effectively.

He could move inside to utilize his talents however in the 34 that the Steelers run and have run forever they've always used a big Casey Hampton, Joel Steed type of player at that position. A monster size immovable object.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Casey Hampton talking about not having Chris Hoke in camp yet.

Still a chance for Chris to get into camp, and for our sakes I hope he does. Chris is such a solid player, doesn't cost a ton to keep on the roster and performs every time he's on the field.

I think we will see Hoke in camp by Thursday. I would say slim chance that Ziggy gets moved to NT. At this point, I'd like to see Aaron Smith either re-do his contract or leave. Ziggy needs to play every down and we could use the money to sure up NT.

If you watched Colbert on Steelers.com it was pretty obvious that any players they are going to restructure will not be announced until August 4. If they restructure them now and sign, it's like signing a new contract and then they can not practice (until the 4th). They need the bodies in camp.

For this same reason they are not necessarily in any rush to sign a free agent like Hoke... It's unlikely that he would command much of a market elsewhere and surely he wants to remain a Steeler to close out his career.

My Mood
    Manic
    How much he commands on the market is irrelevant it's about money against the cap there is no chance Ziggy plays nose this year

Heard on the fan that hoke is back

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    good stuff, i like Hoke!
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Finally a move that makes sense. The Steelers have resigned Nose Tackle Chris Hoke to a one year deal. Hoke is the back up to Casey Hampton and has been a great situational role player. He spells Hampton when need be and has been part of the rotation to keep the aging line fresh for the entire season. Of the moves that were made this week Hoke should have been the first one. He was the most immediate need.

Signing Hoke to a one year deal means we are going to have to do this all over again next season. I am glad to have Hoke back. He will contribute again this season.
    The Steelers are now officially at 90 players on their roster. If anyone else is signed another player will have to be cut.
    This move just made too much sense to not do it. Chris isn't a big cap number and he's a team solid, stays healthy, and performs when called upon. I like the move of bringing him back. Next year should be interesting though, will they draft a big time NT early?
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 08-01-2011 at 01:00 PM.

Thread Information