Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers training camp daily news and notes

Bookmark and Share
    Sweed apparently has some problems with his hamstring. He couldn't finish yesterdays practice. That could explain why he did not finish the conditioning test.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Day 2 news and notes from the Trib

Injury Notes: Limas Sweed and Marcus Gilbert tweaked their hamstrings; Sweed returned to practice later. Neither considered serious. Curtis Brown, 3rd round CB in 2011 left with an illness. Ward and Kemo still on PUP

-- Now, training camp really begins. That is likely the prevailing sentiment among Mike Tomlin and his Steelers coaches, with players holding their first practice in full pads today. Per rules of the new collective bargaining agreement, teams weren't allowed to wear pads the first three days of camp, giving the past two days of drills the feel of offseason practices, albeit ones in stickier weather. That changes today. Or, as Tomlin said following practice Saturday of the drills in full pads, "That's football." The reaction of rookie defensive end Cameron Heyward? "Can't wait," the first-round pick said.

-- The first-team offensive line will look a lot different than the one the Steelers trotted out for the second day in a row. The starting tackles were Chris Scott (right) and Kyle Jolly (left). while rookie sixth-round pick Keith Williams played left guard. The Steelers are without starting tackles Willie Colon and Jonathan Scott until Thursday because of a rule regarding free agents. Starting left guard Chris Kemoeatu is on the physically unable to perform list because of swelling in his knee.

-- With no offseason practices, rookies and what are known as "street" free agents have few opportunities to get the attention of coaches. That is why the catch Woodland Hills graduate Wes Lyons made yesterday was as spectacular as it was timely. The 6-foot-8 Lyons, a West Virginia product, made a leaping grab between two defenders and held onto the ball despite a hard landing.

-- The defensive backs turned in a couple of nice plays yesterday.
    Safety Da'Mon Cromartie-Smith, a practice squad player a year ago, intercepted a pass that had been tipped by cornerback Crezdon Butler. Arnaz Battle seemed to get a step on Butler, but the second-year man closed nicely and set up Cromartie-Smith for the easy pick. Starting cornerback Bryant McFadden later ran step for step on an incomplete deep ball to wide receiver Mike Wallace, earning him a high-five from Butler. Butler, by the way, played with the first-team defense as a nickel back.

My Mood
    Addicted
    "Butler, by the way, played with the first-team defense as a nickel back"

Please keep that up and take gay's job

My Mood
    Fight
    How many players do you see EVER go five years without a good season much less a good game and then turn it on to be a star in this league? Sweeds another perfect example drop his arse PLEASE!!!! There has to be someone we can spend that money on, even a special teams player is better than having his butt on this team, not even a "contributor"

Oh and Tony Hills where the ***k is he on the prctice squad Both need to find a job they can actually do like bag groceries never mind Sweed would drop the milk.
    Last edited by Blazedby92; 07-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    "Without ME, it's just AWESO"
    and
    "To all the virgins, thanks for nothing"

Sweed hasn't been on the team for five years and he was IR'd last season.

I don't mind giving him another shot; I'd rather have him on the roster than Arnaz Battle. Upside with risk > complete mediocrity

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If Sweed misses any significant time this year in camp or preseason there's no alternative but to cut him. He can't stay healthy, and can't produce on the field. Perhaps if he stays healthy he'll show us he's finally grown up and can make an impact but I'm not holding my breath.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Baron Batch having another good camp today. He got the better of Jason Worilds during drills today. Keep an eye on him for sure. If he keeps this up the team won't even bother trying to bring back Mewelde Moore.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ike Taylor and William Gay are in camp but can't practice yet due to new CBA rules. Today's starting Corners are Crezdon Butler and Byrant McFadden. This time is so valuable to guys like Butler who are looking to take the next step. So far both are looking very good.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Ben Roethlisberger wearing Max Starks 78 jersey at practice

There's still a chance that Starks could come back yet, but in the mean time Ben is letting everyone know at practice today how he feels about his veteran Left Tackle.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    There's still a chance that Starks could come back yet, but in the mean time Ben is letting everyone know at practice today how he feels about his veteran Left Tackle.

Overpaid veteran tackle who is mediocre AT BEST comes into camp nearly 400 pounds

remember Pitt was over the new salary cap and this A$$clown got 15 million over a 2 year franchaised period
    and you think they would NEVER ask you to take a pay cut???

PULEEZE!!!!!!!!!!!!

cut him, leave him, go on with his life and get any decent tackle on the team.....
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Thread Information