Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steelers add 5th QB to their roster

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Steelers add 5th QB to their roster

For the first time in a long time, the Steelers will have five quarterbacks in training camp, and that's because they have signed a 20th undrafted rookie -- Chris Dieker from Southern Illinois.

Dieker (6-foot-5, 230 pounds) had a 20-9 record in his three years as a starter, and he left Southern Illinois ranked in the top five in school history in 13 different offensive categories. He finished his career at the school ranked third in six different categories: passing yards (5,237), completions (446), attempts (757), completion percentage (.589), touchdown passes (41) and total offense (5,735).

Link

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    So now it's Roethlisberger, Leftwich, Batch, Dixon, and now Chris Dieker. There's several ways you can read into this. Does it spell the end of Dennis Dixon? How about Charlie Batch, has the aging but reliable veteran finally seen his time in Pittsburgh come to an end?

I still think Leftwich is the main backup to Ben, and then why not let the other 3 battle it out. I don't think Dixon makes it to the end of camp in a Steeler uniform. They won't carry 4 QB's into the season, that much is certain, let alone 5. The Rooney's have been known to carry only 2 in the past but...

This kid has a good record over his career, why not let him battle it out with Dixon and Batch.

My Mood
    Manic
    I say cut everyone except batch and dieker

In an arians offense we need the qb's to be 6'5" 230lb +.. actually he may be too light.

Clean out the old and little qb's on the roster and go big.

arians said dixon will get broke in half...

Ben, Dixon, new guy
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Quote Originally Posted by connecticutsteel View Post
    I say cut everyone except batch and dieker
    so are you saying we should cut Ben? JK I just think we should keep Lefty...I watched him shred the Skins D in 08 and think he would be fine slinging the rock for us. Batch needs to retire, a gnat breathing on him will put him out for the season
    I like big hits and I cannot lie

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Batch is the modern Steelers Mike Tomczak, crafty old veteran that just keeps producing when called upon. He did pretty well last year. I wouldn't be shocked if he's gone but I wouldn't be shocked if he is here in 2011 either.

the depth chart will read ben, dixon, and the new guy.
    Lefty and batch will be cut for cap room. and i've been watching dixon in his comeback.. and he has bulked up a little and he is flying down the field. and his arm is even more powerful.. steeler fans will be surprised.

Dixon will be gone: and that will benefit both parties: Dixon will get a chance to be a No. 2 somewhere, and the Steelers can find someone that will be the three this year and maybe No. 2 next

Batch proved last year that given the opportunity he could win you some games. But he is in the last year as a Steelers because of age.

Leftwich, Ben trouble last year gave him his best opportunity to show case his skills again. But money is tight and the Steelers need to move on.

The new guy: is cheap and can be the scout team QB while he learn the system: although I would get Pike from N.C.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The good thing is the Steelers don't have to worry about preparing a young guy for the future yet. Ben is in the prime of his career. They can very easily rationalize carrying to older veterans like Batch and Leftwich again. Now if Ben were in say his 12th year in the league then maybe you start to look for a young QB to groom for the future.

Perhaps Dieker is a guy you bring back to the practice squad. I would be very surprised if they don't carry a 4th QB on the PS.

Thread Information