Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The biggest storyline for Steelers training camp 2011?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

The biggest storyline for Steelers training camp 2011?

There are a myriad of stories to keep an eye on in training camp this year. The players report today by 3pm with a conditioning test at 4pm, EST. Some things to watch this year and think about as we see things unfold in the coming days and weeks.

Offensive line: Right now the only sure thing on the line is Chris Kemoeatu and Maurkice Pouncey. We have no idea who's going to play Tackle right now or RG. Does Colon come back and if so, where does he play? Is Ramon Foster the future at RG? Does Flozell Adams move back to LT or stay at RT? Does Marcus Gilbert suddenly get forced into action?

Tight End: With Spaeth gone, the 2 young UDFA's will have a chance to see significant field time and make the team. Also David Johnson should see a significant increase in field time at TE.

Cornerback: Probably the biggest one to watch other than Tackle. Who will play opposite Ike Taylor? Can Curtis Brown step up, can Cortez Allen make the team and provide a significant contribution? Who will play NB; is it Gay or McFadden, or does one of them end up being a starting CB?

Polamalu: Can he stay healthy all through camp and be ready to go when the season starts?

Runningback: Mendenhall and Redman are the top 2 guys, but do they bring back Mewelde Moore? How does Baron Batch fit in, can he make the squad?

Aaron Smith and the DL: Smith is coming off another significant arm injury again, how much times does he get in camp? Does he even make to camp or does he get cut? Regardless of whether he's there or not how fast can rookie Cam Heyward catch on and help the rotation?

These are some of things to watch this year as we see our team prepare for 2011.

CB wins this one for me...and safety but thats because im putting crezdon in the mix for both.

would LOVE to see brown as the #2 or #3 CB and see butler take over FS or a CB spot

Offensive line and secondary are going to be equally interesting.

Willie Colon's contract talks will be fun to follow, and I want to see how the team is going to deal with Adams: Will they retain him (and restructure/offer an extension), or let him go? With Stark's departure, it will also be interesting to see if the team will pursue a free agent like Gaither, or if there will be a camp battle between guys like Scott, Hills and Gilbert.

While we know that Taylor is back, there are still question marks at the other corner positions. I have to think that they will let Gay walk, but you never know. Butler supposedly has a great skill set, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him take the nickle role. If the Steelers do go after another corner in free agency (Jonathan Joseph, fingers crossed), it would be interested to see BMac, Butler and Brown fighting for that nickel position.

RB, DB for me...
    "Happy Happy Happy"

I'm w/ Ram..... O-Line and DBs are going to be very interesting.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Crezdon is an important part of the CB mix this year, no doubt! He's going to have his chance to see increased playing time. I would love to see him win that spot opposite Ike Taylor. Butler and Brown, I would think right now that's a great future to look forward too if they pan out. The one that doesn't make the starting CB job fights it out with Gay for the NB spot. There's so much untapped talent that we need to see step up this year.

Even at linebacker, how much more time does Sly Sylvester see at MLB? He'll get plenty of reps in camp but can he make enough of an impact to split some time with Potsie?

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity View Post
    Crezdon is an important part of the CB mix this year, no doubt! He's going to have his chance to see increased playing time. I would love to see him win that spot opposite Ike Taylor. Butler and Brown, I would think right now that's a great future to look forward too if they pan out. The one that doesn't make the starting CB job fights it out with Gay for the NB spot. There's so much untapped talent that we need to see step up this year.

Even at linebacker, how much more time does Sly Sylvester see at MLB? He'll get plenty of reps in camp but can he make enough of an impact to split some time with Potsie?
    I really hope the team is less stubborn this year and lets Sylvester get some time on the field. I have to admit that Farrior had a solid year last season, but he doesn't have an upside anymore. They have to see what they've got in Sylvester and they aren't going to if they keep Farrior on the field 100% of the time.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Well seeing that they released Max Starks i wanna see who's replacing him, and i wanna see what Carnell can do with our DB's, I'm also excited to see where Cam gonna play and if they put Ziggy at DT, I hope Plax resigns with us also we would be so balanced on Off and defense if Butler, Brown and maybe Cortez pan out, man i'm excited for sum football Here we go Steelers Here we go...

"Happy Happy Happy"

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    I really hope the team is less stubborn this year and lets Sylvester get some time on the field. I have to admit that Farrior had a solid year last season, but he doesn't have an upside anymore. They have to see what they've got in Sylvester and they aren't going to if they keep Farrior on the field 100% of the time.

I'm right with ya, it's hard to justify taking Potsie out of the lineup to get Sylvester some work, if he has another solid year like last year. Training camp and preseason is all well and good but you want this kid to get some real NFL experience in a game situation so he is ready to really step in when Potsie hangs it up. It would allow Potsie to stay fresh for the entire year and let Sylvester see if he is up to the challenge.

Thread Information