Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers gearing up for Free Agency chaos

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Steelers gearing up for Free Agency chaos

There's a good article in the Trib that talks about how crazy free agency is going to be. Without the normal weeks and months that teams have in free agency to sign who they want, when they want, and bring in many players for visits and physicals, no longer a reality things will get crazy very quickly.

This will be something that most of us have never experienced from a fan level. When you figure that teams might have 3 days for free agency, maybe a week at the most, and factor in all the work that needs to be done it's intimidating. Kevin Colbert and his crew will have to put whatever plan they have into action immediately. I'm sure they've already got in mind who they will go after from other teams, if anyone. As well as how high they will go to keep Ike Taylor who will high priority for several teams.

Then you also have to consider if there will be additional time allotted to sign the draft picks. Will they consider the free agency signing period the time to also sign the draftees? How many draft picks will get to camp on time? There have been many rumors as to how that will all play out, and if indications are correct we'll know everything by the end of the week. It's also a safe bet that even in the lockout, teams have been secretly talking to free agents and getting a feel for what it will take to sign their own and other players.

Colbert has declined interview requests until the lockout is lifted. But it seems pretty safe to assume that he and the Steelers have done everything they can to prepare for free agency, given how little they've had to do during the NFL's first work stoppage since 1987.

"Teams have already done their homework," said agent Doug Hendrickson, whose clients include Woodley. "They've had different charts up and teams know what they're looking for and especially since the draft ended they know what needs they have, so I don't think there's going to be utter chaos."

Controlled chaos may be more apropos, even for the Steelers, who also have a handful of complementary players that are going to be unrestricted free agents in addition to Taylor and Colon.

The start of free agency, typically in early March, is always marked by a flurry of signings — and that is not expected to change. The difference this year is that the signing period may only precede reporting dates to training camp by a couple of days. That means there won't be a lot of time for teams to court prospective free agents.
    "It's going to be very akin to speed dating," said agent Joe Linta, a Freeport native who represents Colon. "The negotiators and the agents are going to have to understand, 'Look, let's get in the ballpark, get it done.' "

Signing undrafted free agents and draft picks shouldn't be problematic, especially since a rookie wage cap will likely be in play.

Top-tier free agents will also be signed quickly, Pittsburgh-based agent Ralph Cindrich said. What is harder to project, Cindrich said, is what happens to the players who are not marquee free agents.

"I think each team knows what they have to do, the minimum they have to accomplish," Cindrich said. "They'll look at the time frame and whatever the rules require, they'll get it done."

There are a lot of unknowns about free agency this year, from what the rules will be once a CBA is in place to how the lockout will affect the value of free agents that would have otherwise had an entire offseason to get acclimated to a new team.
    And then there is the reality at how much quicker teams are going to have to move during free agency this year.

"Mistakes are going to be made that would not normally be made," said Rochester-based agent Bill Parise, who represents Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison. "They're going to keep somebody that they would normally need to let go. They're going to let someone go that they should have kept. It's going to be a really intense period. I'm planning on sequestering myself."

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Oh yeah, it's going to be a free for all. I can't wait Colbert and his team should have their game plan already setup and ready to go. Let's just hope that if we do go after any FA, they will be wise choices that will benefit the Steelers. It's going to be rough on a lot of teams, with the cap being lower, who to resign and how etc. Real interesting, this is where the real GM's separate themselves from the wannabees.

Sent from my iPhone 3GS using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DIESELMAN; 07-20-2011 at 03:50 PM.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Sign Ike

Sign Jonathan Joseph

Bring home the championship

Clearly if we sign 1-2 vet FAs that would be impressive and blow everyone away....im more interested in UDFAs personally. Herzlich, Devine, D Williams, Burney, mcdaniel.....lets go

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As bad as a position that players and teams are put in with this lockout, I think it's going to be kinda fun to watch all this unfold from a fan perspective. Of course if things don't happen the way we like then we'll all be complaining but I would say this will be the most exciting next few days and weeks than we've seen in a LONG time in the NFL at this stage of the upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Sign Ike

Sign Jonathan Joseph

Clearly if we sign 1-2 vet FAs that would be impressive and blow everyone away....im more interested in UDFAs personally. Herzlich, Devine, D Williams, Burney, mcdaniel.....lets go
    I'd really like to see Herzlich come to Pittsburgh. If he could get back to where he used to be, he would be another great LB to have, plus you know he would have a ton of support from the fans after what he overcame.

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    Sign Ike

Sign Jonathan Joseph

we're 10 mil over the cap. We aren't getting 2 corners like Ike and Joseph. May not even be able to keep Ike.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    I'm sure that Colbert has a plan to upgrade the team.

What we will all find out is that the teams with good front offices will be well prepared and able to manage the team rosters.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

Quote Originally Posted by mwittman5 View Post
    we're 10 mil over the cap. We aren't getting 2 corners like Ike and Joseph. May not even be able to keep Ike.
    dont pretend to be a salary cap wizard, its not as cut and dry as your making it seem. they could do it....highly doubtful, but possible with all the restructures and cuts

My Mood
    Manic
    What k train said minus devine we don't need anymore s@#$T heads on the team

devine isnt really a ********, from what ive seen hes grown up a lot. i think we'd be lucky to have him

Thread Information