Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it still a "stop the run first" type of mentality in today's NFL?

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Packers have Aaron Rodgers and the Pats have the ultimate LeBeau defense killer Tom Brady.....So that is the big difference there to why those teams tore up our secondary.....The Steelers current secondary isn't great but its good enough to stop most teams passing games.......The elite QB's kill them at times but those elite QB's burn most secondaries.....

Starter
    exactly .. we get beat by elite QBs moreso than good passing attacks when it counts imo .. it takes a ton of preparation, experience and confidence to sit back and throw vs a team like us .. brees, brady and rodgers beat us when we had ben this year .. im not counting sanchez - in that case it felt like we lost as a team vs a team lol ..
    Last edited by andyg1984; 07-19-2011 at 07:37 PM.

My Mood
    Cool
    It's not the scheme that's screwing the Steelers secondary, and not the 'stop the run first' mentality, it's the personnel.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by uclkyle View Post
    Interesting thread and article. I personally like the fact that the Steelers are SO dominent against the run, most teams don't even attempt to run. By design we make teams pass. I guess if you have to pick your poision, it's better to make a team beat you throwing rather than running down your throat. There are only about three teams that can consistently beat us throwing (Pats, Indy, and now GB). I think in the future, the success of our defense will continue to be stuffing the run and getting quicker more consistent QB pressure (something we sometimes fail to do, ie the Super Bowl).
    First off, great topic.

I don't think we have to change the philosophy, but more like tweek it. We've always stopped the run to force teams to be one-demensional offensively. The only problem is that our secondary isn't good enough to take advantage of one-demensional offenses the way it used to.
    We don't need to change anything other then recognizing that the kind of athlete that we could stick back there in the secondary has to be upgraded now because of the overall upgrade of sophistication of the passing game in the NFL. That's all.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    As good as the Steeler defense is overall, if the secondary can get it's act together and be as formidable as the front 7; just imagine how dominant they could really be? As it is teams don't even bother trying to establish the run once you hit about the midway point of the season. They'll try and pound the rock early on because it's what you're supposed to do but in reality they have no intentions of making a living out of running against the Steelers front. And really why should they, they can be quite successful passing it!

Our secondary has been hidden over the years by a great pass rush but in the last 2 years especially it's been exposed as a glaring weakness. Figuring out a way to get more out of those players or getting new players in who can play better is so paramount to our future success it's not even funny.

i really actually blame troy and clark for the secondary. troy is always banged up, never healthy and plays so poorly when hes not. he also really makes the job on the corners and other safeties pretty difficult as hes never really a safety but more of a mini LB. he is either directly in the play or completely out of it theres no structure. i would really like to see him play in a more tradtional safety role, hed probably stay healthier too....ike and bmac arent the greatest duo, but theyve got the job done before, troy puts a lot of weight on their shoulders and hes the one voted to the probowl while they are condemned by the world.

and ryan clark just sucks at this point

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    McFadden and Taylor were a great duo a couple years ago when the Steelers won SB XLIII. They both were more than capable of covering just about any receiver in the league. Then BMac left for Arizona, got hurt, and didn't have a good year. Tomlin banked on him coming back and playing like he did 2 years ago but that didn't happen. He was hurt a lot last year and when he did play he was still hampered by injury and just not on his game like he used to be.

If McFadden could come back in 2011 and play like he did in the past, and Ike Taylor is brought back, then we might have something special. I agree that Troy is an all or nothing type of player right now. When he's healthy he's on fire but he's been hurt so much it's just a crap shoot as to how many games he'll miss in a season. His style of play does put a lot of pressure on the secondary yes, but then you could blame Lebeau and Butler for allowing him to be the freelance player that he is too, right?

no cant blame them, but i think it might be for the good of the team to make him a more discliplined safety....not only because it would keep him healthy and make him actually play for his monster contract, but it will make him last longer and id rathe rhave him on the field as opposed to not having him on the field.

Quote Originally Posted by Phenomenal TJ View Post
    It's not the scheme that's screwing the Steelers secondary, and not the 'stop the run first' mentality, it's the personnel.
    true, we need coverage for the pats, colts, saints, packers, good tight coverage off the line. not 10 yards back.

we need personnel to do that.

sometimes were 12 yards off the line. then the welker types have a field day.

Thread Information